What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a scary feeling about this.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
I've had my iPad for close to a year now, I rarely ever use either of my pc's for any serious work. Whatever isn't done directly on the iPad is handled very easily over VNC. I carry absolutely everything I would need , from a camera with connector kit, to a 2.5" external drive I store a ton of movies on, in a Targus vertical messenger bag. About the only things that need done directly on the pc, at least in my case are the downloading of movies and watching said movies in media center. To those that say it can't be used as a primary computer I say whatever!

Wow.... Thats a lot of stuff. I only carry a stylus for taking notes.......

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Munky said:
There's a stylus in there. lol

:)

Stylus is a necessity. My finger gets sore after a while. No where near as bad as rubbing the trackpad on my laptop for awhile though.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mostly use my stylus in the car during the daytime when the top is down so as not to see fingerprints.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am investing a lot for the I-pad 2. I have never been a gadget person(definitely not an apple one) but the I-Pad will fit into my core philosophy really well. I am a minimalist- I hate having stuff. To borrow from fight club- the things end up owning you, and I have personal experience with it.

I told my friend that I would use this device for everything from reading, writing to music and knowledge(I am a big space and paleontology buff). I will keep only the I-pad and nothing else with me. He said- what if, heaven forbid, you loose your I-pad? It hit me.

I hate it when I loose my data. I have lost two external hard-drives this way and it only strengthened my belief in not owning anything. I would hate it if all my work, all my notes, all my writings were to be lost due to some reason.

Is there anyway the I-pad could end up blowing in my face- A virus, technical malfunction or any random issue?
Should I still keep a backup of all my files, apps etc on some CD?

Gimme a break. You have angst over owning stuff, so you try to limit what you own. A solution to that would be figuring out how to not sweat owning stuff, not to avoid owning it. Otherwise, it's just avoidance.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rishi85 said:
Should I still keep a backup of all my files, apps etc on some CD?

it shouldn't matter what the device is........you should always back up, always, always, always (did I say it enough?). Memory is cheap so there is no excuse! I have spent too many years visiting PC and mac forums watching people post who are devastated at the loss of their data. As much as people hate iTunes, and it's not my favourite apple software, it seamlessly backs up your device to your PC/mac and that is a huge positive. But you should also back up your PC/mac.......go do some google searching with terms like "my hard drive just died" and you will get the gist after a little while.

The Archangel

OP
R

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gimme a break. You have angst over owning stuff, so you try to limit what you own. A solution to that would be figuring out how to not sweat owning stuff, not to avoid owning it. Otherwise, it's just avoidance.

Trust me, I am crazy- in a mentally disturbed kind of way. I don't want to own a house, I want to live in a bus. I don't want to own a family- wife or kids because I am afraid that one day they may die(!!!)and what if they die before me? I live in the basement of a kind landlord and pay 300 dollars a month. I love this existence. The only expenses I have are movies and books, and I try to write. I have wandered in the wild but have always come back, I want to be like Everett Ruess- leave no trace behind, just become a part of nature and fade away like the Elephants and Lions do in the wild. Its off topic but it is connected to the whole idea of owning this device-if it makes sense.

I think the whole meaning of one's existence is to seek spiritual enlightenment and try to understand the universe through knowledge and exploration- hence my fascination with subjects like Space or Paleontology among many.

Point is I hate responsibility. I want to be responsible only for myself, no one else, maybe nature to an extent. I think this is how everyone should live,instead everyone is too happy raising families and fighting over politics and religion.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Trust me, I am crazy- in a mentally disturbed kind of way. I don't want to own a house, I want to live in a bus. I don't want to own a family- wife or kids because I am afraid that one day they may die(!!!)and what if they die before me? I live in the basement of a kind landlord and pay 300 dollars a month. I love this existence. The only expenses I have are movies and books, and I try to write. I have wandered in the wild but have always come back, I want to be like Everett Ruess- leave no trace behind, just become a part of nature and fade away like the Elephants and Lions do in the wild. Its off topic but it is connected to the whole idea of owning this device-if it makes sense.

I think the whole meaning of one's existence is to seek spiritual enlightenment and try to understand the universe through knowledge and exploration- hence my fascination with subjects like Space or Paleontology among many.

Point is I hate responsibility. I want to be responsible only for myself, no one else, maybe nature to an extent. I think this is how everyone should live,instead everyone is too happy raising families and fighting over politics and religion.

The "Walden," Thoreau, "Into the Wild" thing? Yeah, I can see that. Being driven by fear is different from being driven by freedom, though. Interesting subject, though way off thread, I admit.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Interesting. Very interesting. Certainly your right to feel this way ~ and your thread.

But could we get back on topic? I am sure you know what that is, right?:) I don't want to see this thread going in this direction ^^ although I am not certain what direction that would be...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts