What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are I-tune movies worth it?

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a huge movie buff. Not into music at all(have a maximum of 1 Gig worth of music in all my life to date). I know that I-pad and movies don't really go hand in hand but I do want to have at least two films on my I-pad. One is Avatar and the other is Chinatown. I checked the I-tunes site and it costs about 10 dollars to buy a film. Before purchasing I wanted to clear a few doubts:

1.) How is the clarity? Is it HD- crisp clear?

2.)Is it worth it to buy from I-tunes considering I will be buying only 2 titles?

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it's my eyes but I don't see much difference between the standard version movie and it's HD version. However I have not viewed a HD movie from the iTunes store on my new iPad 2, only on the orig iPad.

Slightly off topic, have you considered converting your DVDs to mpg4 and then loading on the iPad? The definition is pretty good and you can take advantage of any movies you've already purchased.

Leo

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leolaksi said:
Maybe it's my eyes but I don't see much difference between the standard version movie and it's HD version. However I have not viewed a HD movie from the iTunes store on my new iPad 2, only on the orig iPad.

Slightly off topic, have you considered converting your DVDs to mpg4 and then loading on the iPad? The definition is pretty good and you can take advantage of any movies you've already purchased.

Leo

Thats what i do.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I know the quality is amazing but they are WAY overpriced. Like everything on the app store.

I have to disagree. You can purchase movies from iTunes for $4.99. You just need to look at the monthly specials. You may not find something every month but for the price you will find something you want on enough occasions to call it worth it.

And how is free and .99 cents overpriced? Lots and lots of apps at those prices in the app store.

Byron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with "The Alternative". iTunes movies can be cheap. I have over 6TB of movies/tv shows. Both purchased from iTunes and converted from DVD I already own. I personally do not like the HD version of the movies and always buy standard. Standard is cheaper and takes half the disk space. You can find a lot pf free TV episodes on iTunes or rent (99 cents) or buy ($1.99), which I think is more than worth the price so you don't have to see the advetisments.
There are several free programs that will convert DVD to mpg4 files. My favorite is Handbreak, which even has presets of iPod, iPad and Apple TV. Very easy to use and of course it's free

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I buy the HD versions if available because the difference is much more obvious when I stream them to my 60 inch HDTV via Apple TV. The prices are not great but are generally similar to buying the blu-ray version. To me convenience has to be considered as you can buy and iTunes movie anytime without leaving your house and be watching it within minutes if you have a good broadband connection.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is some DVD that come with 2 disk one is a regular DVD the other is for copying to your pc or mac and you load it to iTunes then to your iPad I have 2 movies on my iPad that way

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
I have to disagree. You can purchase movies from iTunes for $4.99. You just need to look at the monthly specials. You may not find something every month but for the price you will find something you want on enough occasions to call it worth it.

And how is free and .99 cents overpriced? Lots and lots of apps at those prices in the app store.

Touché.

:)

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you already own those movies on DVD? If so I would just download DVD43 and handbrake (both are free). DVD43 removes the blockers and handbrake converts it into a file the iPad can read.

Can take up to five hours (average is three) to convert the movie but I have had iTunes take that long to download a movie. I would just set it up to convert before you go to bed and you will have a file in the morning.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a movie buff myself and watch some movies dozens of times.

I am still not ready to use iTunes if only because in five years when I'm on another device I still want to have that movie accessible.

So I buy DVDs and rip them.

I currently have 3 or 4 favorites on my iPad that I go back to regularly (Groundhog Day, Galaxy Quest, Midnight Run, Moonstruck).

The rest are archived on a couple of hard drive storage setups.

And the wall of DVDs, of course.

OP
R

rishi85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I have a better understanding. My major reason to purchase one movie from the I-tune store was because of novelty reasons. See, I have always downloaded movies because I have been poor for most part of my life(I could never afford DVD's or Bluray's). I would justifiably purchase only one film if for no other reason, than to just show that I am not a life-long pirate.

Another reason, and you may find this absurd is this: I work in Mcdonalds in the night shift. I clean the lobby during an overlong 8 hour shift and make about 80 dollars. What I do is I pick all the one cent and 10 cent coins I find lying on the floor and put it in a piggy-bank. I collect around 50-60 cents on a daily basis and even a dollar or two on really good days. The day I go to buy my I-pad, I will use this money to purchase that ONE movie with it. Its really random but I thought it would be cool.

Most reactions

Latest posts