What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i have a question for the military guys here

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my oldest son is going back over to A-stan again and has got the whole going on the year long trips down to a packing sceince at times of what he takes does not take with him on this tours of duty ..

he has a ipad and i was wondering what to get him for the unit for this want he going to take with him for this tour instead of a laptop and all the items is needs for use overseas .

i know that he got the travel sleeve case and the dock for it ..so i was wondering what else beside the two following things on the ipad..one the ipad ins set up to replace the ipad if something happens to it over there and two a itunes gift card ..

when he needs something he will email a list of items that he wants and can not get over there and i will ship them out to him useing USPO mail service to his APO and he get them as need..

beside the normal junk food i send him along with the dvd movies and personal grooming supplies etc ..is there anything else i should send over to him for useing the ipad when he overseas..

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly when I go back to Afghanistan I will bring a cheap, small laptop so I can change the movies and whatnot with my iPad.

In addition I would add the following things:

- IF he is going to be at a big enough base where they have wired internet (no, not government internet but regular internet that the soldiers can pay for) like at Bagram AFB, get him an Airport Express. You set it up once at home, and then you take wired internet and plug it into this, which then plugs into a wall outlet and you have wireless internet.

- If he is taking a camera, get the camera connection kit (unless he decides to bring a laptop)

- Perhaps get the component cable out set...many soldiers, even on remote firebases like I was at, find ways to get 27" TVs and stuff from the locals.

Jandy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would probably think about screen savers and cleaning products ie screen wipes etc.... Good luck to your son and please thank him for his contribution.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get him a tough case like talked about in the accessories area.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Next time I deploy, I'll have the folks that want to hook me up send me iTunes gift cards.

Always great to have a stack of redeemer points handy for apps, games, and tunes..

Seems like you have the rest covered. Which branch is your son serving in?

Thanks very much to all the vets here and current active duty members for your dedication and service - it's nice to know I have fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen enjoying their iPads as I'm enjoying mine.

GET SOME!

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first question would be - can he take just the iPad with him for a year -- without any kind of laptop to sync with? I've actually been thinking about this question for a while - being able to have your iPad without a laptop / desktop.

Whatever case / cover you get him - you probably should consider a nice cloth type case that zips closed so that dust is kept out.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
as far as i know he going to the biggest base there and staying the whole year ..he in the Army G2 area .. he said this tour is stuck at the base all year long with no outside the fence time as far i know he beening stuck in a office setting ..on the last couple of tours he e-mailed me from the military email system and i use my account to email him and the other family members station around the world ..

he was talking about useing his room mate laptop to sync when need . he showed me pictures of there rooms the last time there and they had flat screen tv and dvd player in the rooms for them to watch movies

this time is a staff prostion for a year .. he tells me he basic takes a single duffle bag with him for everything else covered ..he mails himself a set of sheets and a blanket and pillows and towels from home to be use in the rooms ..he is a mustang and i think it funny for he really never thought out a life in the military .he has over 15 years in now .. he went to OCS school back in 2003 and he been at ever since .. all my kids but one went into the military ..the one that did not married a guy who was in the military and she over in Korea right now ..the rest are all over the states and the world .

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If he is at the biggest base, he is going to Bagram Air Field...and you should DEFINITELY get him the Airport Express (the tough case won't be necessary for there) because the locals there run a service for like 35 bucks a month for wired internet and he can hook up the AE to his outlet in his b-hut (it's a little wooden shack basically) and get wireless.

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If he is at the biggest base, he is going to Bagram Air Field...and you should DEFINITELY get him the Airport Express (the tough case won't be necessary for there) because the locals there run a service for like 35 bucks a month for wired internet and he can hook up the AE to his outlet in his b-hut (it's a little wooden shack basically) and get wireless.

Quoted for truth. If he's going to Baghram the AE would be anise tool in the tool kit.

I haven't been there since we did a troop visit back in 2008, but it's a good place to be deployed (if you're going BOG).

Personally, I prefer my carrier deployments, but it's not like you get to pick and choose very much these days..

Best of luck to your son on his deployment.
:)

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
he got the air unit along with the case and dock .i just trying to think of something that he can use when over there ..he telling in a email that the new area commander is getting really bugged about makeing the base look like just another base thing where is shutting down all the extras that are not need in the area.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
he just email me a list of items i need to pick up for him per month .i guess the new area commander is going to be real tight a=== about the luxury items that they can have with them over there on a tour ..

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just put togerther a box of stuff to ship over there to him ..it more junk food items that he likes along with a few personal items he wants ..i have to go the postal office and get one of the flat rate box that they can ship for a same rate box price ..

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I always suggest: Don't send tolietries in the same box as things like cookies and whatnot. The food usually ends up tasting like the shampoo etc. Hard to be a beggar when people are nice enough to send you stuff. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts