What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gobbled up my 250MB plan too fast! Tips to minimize usage?

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm usually on wifi but bought a 'month' of 250MB AT&T so I could check a few things online while on vacation. I went through 250MB in less than a week even with what felt like judicious use of internet. It almost felt like some things were running in the background and using bandwidth although i did my best to keep things disabled, turned off, etc.

No video viewing.
Kept work Exchange email turned off (but not calendar).
Avoided any large downloads or viewing of hi-bandwidth stuff.
Had my larger Dropbox and iBook files marked as Favorites so they were local on iPad (no download).
No Youtube, Netflix, or running of apps that download a lotof stuff (like news apps, etc).

I mostly browse my personal interest forums. Any tips to keep usage down? Any free ad-block browsers?

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using WiFi as much as possible, which will save your 3G data. Also, OperaMini is a great tried party browser which will help minimize the amount of MB that you consume during each web browsing period.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Attachments

• image-978695934.png
    image-978695934.png
    223 KB · Views: 530
OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have stated I only use the 3G when wifi is unavailable.

Thank for the good link!

Reaction score
You did mention you use Wi-Fi mostly.
Anytime you can surf an "m" or wap site you'll save a ton of data, safari will render to the mobile versions on its own
Forum apps use a lot less data than their websites as well

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my Galaxy 10.1 via Swype, SlideIt or Ultra Keyboard

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank for the good link!
Do you actually turn 3G off when you are using WiFi or should I say when you don't want to use 3G?
Rumor has it the iPad prefers 3G over WiFi when in sleep mode even if WiFi is available. I can't confirm it but I have seen my 3G usage go up overnight when at home and both 3G and WiFi are available.
So now ...
I put my iPad in Airplane mode when ever I don't need to use 3G and then turn WiFi on and leave it on.
That way I don't accidentally leave 3G on by mistake.
J

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank for the good link!
Do you actually turn 3G off when you are using WiFi or should I say when you don't want to use 3G?
Rumor has it the iPad prefers 3G over WiFi when in sleep mode even if WiFi is available. I can't confirm it but I have seen my 3G usage go up overnight when at home and both 3G and WiFi are available.
So now ...
I put my iPad in Airplane mode when ever I don't need to use 3G and then turn WiFi on and leave it on.
That way I don't accidentally leave 3G on by mistake.
J

Maybe I'm misreading, but if you have it in airplane mode, wi-fi won't work, either.

OP
W

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, I manually turn on either 3G or wifi dependingon which I know will be available. I'll use the wifi if available.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Maybe I'm misreading, but if you have it in airplane mode, wi-fi won't work, either.

WiFi works while in airplane mode, I'm using it that way now on my iPhone 4 to post this reply. :D

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

WiFi works while in airplane mode, I'm using it that way now on my iPhone 4 to post this reply. :D

Odd. Your iPhone must work differently than all my iOS devices (and as Apple intended). This is Apple's description of how airplane mode works iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: Understanding airplane mode, and mine works as described. When airplane mode is on, there is no connection, wi-fi or otherwise.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Odd. Your iPhone must work differently than all my iOS devices (and as Apple intended). This is Apple's description of how airplane mode works iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: Understanding airplane mode, and mine works as described. When airplane mode is on, there is no connection, wi-fi or otherwise.

Strange, have you tried it? I ask because, my co-workers are also able to pick up a WiFi connection while airplane mode is set to on. Remember that once you turn airplane mode on, it automatically turns WiFi off, so you need to turn WiFi back on again. Here is a screenshot of my iPhone 4 in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.

Attachments

• image-2337874285.png
    image-2337874285.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 431

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Strange, have you tried it? I ask because, my co-workers are also able to pick up a WiFi connection while airplane mode is set to on. Remember that once you turn airplane mode on, it automatically turns WiFi off, so you need to turn WiFi back on again. Here is a screenshot of my iPhone 4 in airplane mode with WiFi turned on.

Yes. If I'm in Settings and turn on airplane mode, it cuts wi-fi (and 3G if I have that on). That's the way airplane mode is supposed to work, to cut all signals to avoid interference with airplane operations. Otherwise, there's no point to airplane mode. If your airplane mode leaves wi-fi on, all it does is duplicate your 3G (cellular) on and off button.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes. If I'm in Settings and turn on airplane mode, it cuts wi-fi (and 3G if I have that on). That's the way airplane mode is supposed to work, to cut all signals to avoid interference with airplane operations. Otherwise, there's no point to airplane mode. If your airplane mode leaves wi-fi on, all it does is duplicate your 3G (cellular) on and off button.

After turning airplane mode on, and having it turn off WiFi it does flip WiFi from on to off. However, I am able to turn it back on. Sorry, but I do not believe after doing so that it "duplicates" my 3G service, otherwise I would be able to make and receive calls while in that mode and I can't.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apparently Apple has changed this. I copied the following page from an iPad 2 guide that I downloaded from the app store. It explains exactly what I was saying above, and that WiFi is now available in airplane mode. :)

Airplane Mode

If you travel frequently, Airplane Mode is a necessity: it temporarily switches off the cellular antenna and Wi-Fi, which could interfere with the airplane’s navigational system. This allows you to safely use the iPad in the air once the captain gives the all-clear. Thankfully, the iPad still allows Wi-Fi connections in this mode, but you have to manually switch Wi-Fi back on in the Wi-Fi settings. So if you happen to be taking a flight on one of the airlines that currently supplies Wi-Fi access, you’ll be able to surf the Web.

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not have believed it if I had not tried it, but I can turn on airplane mode (killing all radios) and then turn wifi on, and get a wifi connection. I think that qualifies as a bug, given the purpose of airplane mode, but it is possible. Very odd. :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts