What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HTML Demo on iPad

mahee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to show a HTML pages as a demo to a community event. Since I will not have Wi Fi at the event (and my iPad is not 3G) how can I download the HTML pages and store on my ipad?

Any ideas? Is this impossible to do?

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming the web content is all static, you could use something like GoodReader, which will display local HTML files just fine.

Another option I use is an app called HTML Runtime. It's a bit tricky to set up (I don't think the author's native language is English), but it's designed to display locally-stored HTML that you move over to the device as a zip file. It's only $0.99.

Two other options worth mentioning, if you simply need to show the webpages, but not nessarily the link/navigate between them:

- Save the pages in question as .webarchive files using Safari on your Mac/PC and move them over to the iPad -- many reader-type apps (e.g. GoodReader) known how to display these types of files. This way you won't have to worry about copying all the HTML,CSS,image files, etc -- it will all be rolled into the webarchive file.

- Many (if not most) of the popular 3rd party browsers such as iCab, Atomic, etc. also allow you to save pages for offline viewing later. The primary difference is that they are stored within the individual browser so you'll need to use that same app to view them.

Hope this helps.

philtrabalho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming the web content is all static, you could use something like GoodReader, which will display local HTML files just fine.

Another option I use is an app called HTML Runtime. It's a bit tricky to set up (I don't think the author's native language is English), but it's designed to display locally-stored HTML that you move over to the device as a zip file. It's only $0.99.

Two other options worth mentioning, if you simply need to show the webpages, but not nessarily the link/navigate between them:

- Save the pages in question as .webarchive files using Safari on your Mac/PC and move them over to the iPad -- many reader-type apps (e.g. GoodReader) known how to display these types of files. This way you won't have to worry about copying all the HTML,CSS,image files, etc -- it will all be rolled into the webarchive file.

- Many (if not most) of the popular 3rd party browsers such as iCab, Atomic, etc. also allow you to save pages for offline viewing later. The primary difference is that they are stored within the individual browser so you'll need to use that same app to view them.

Hope this helps.

Well, I have the same problem here, I need to show a html page on an event without internet connection.
Please, help me with some doubts: any of the solutions that you suggested above work fine with a static HTML page that uses CSS and Javascript codes?
An example: Can I "show-hide" HTML divs using javascript on GoodReader or HTML Runtime?
Is there anyway to open a single local HTML file (with javascript and CSS) with Safari in an iPad?
Thanks a lot!
Phillipe

Lagranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@philtrabalho: I tested a small html file* that contained both inline CSS and Javascript and both appeared to work just fine in GoodReader and HTML Runtime. (I suspect they are both using the same iOS UI framework for their web rendering anyway)

BTW, one other (pricier) option I forgot to mention is Textastic, which is essentially a programmer's text editor for the iPad. Although it's primarily a design tool, it does allow previews if you're working on local HTML/CSS/Javascript files. Like GoodReader, it contains file management functions that allows you to arrange your local files in folders, etc.

Hope this helps. (I'm a developer by trade, but I don't do much web-related stuff so don't take my answers as definitive)

*I just used the first example of 'JS-controlled hidden divs' that google popped up: Hide and Show a Div Using Javascript « Team Tutorials (I used the example in the last listing on the page)

philtrabalho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@philtrabalho: I tested a small html file* that contained both inline CSS and Javascript and both appeared to work just fine in GoodReader and HTML Runtime. (I suspect they are both using the same iOS UI framework for their web rendering anyway)

BTW, one other (pricier) option I forgot to mention is Textastic, which is essentially a programmer's text editor for the iPad. Although it's primarily a design tool, it does allow previews if you're working on local HTML/CSS/Javascript files. Like GoodReader, it contains file management functions that allows you to arrange your local files in folders, etc.

Hope this helps. (I'm a developer by trade, but I don't do much web-related stuff so don't take my answers as definitive)

*I just used the first example of 'JS-controlled hidden divs' that google popped up: Hide and Show a Div Using Javascript « Team Tutorials (I used the example in the last listing on the page)

Thank you! I found another solution: Mercury browser. It has a "save webpage" option and has a offline viewer!!

Most reactions