What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running local HTML file

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a simple HTML text file that so far I've only been able to run from within the e-mail app (I sent it to my e-mail as an attachement). What I would like to do is either have a Safari bookmark to a local (on the iPad) copy of this file or to be able to somehow lunch it as an app. Basicaly the HTML file links to private sites and pulls graphs, etc. For security reasons I don't want the file up on the web. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is an interesting question. I don't know if mobile Safari even supports the file:// protocol. I'm off to find a sample HTML file to experiment with.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not a solution. You can skip this part. :(

Well, using iPhone Explorer I put an HTML file in the Media directory and tried to path to it using the file:// protocol. Safari said it could not open the file because it was a local file. So the answer seems to be no, with Safari.

It is also possible I don't have the path to the file correct.

I also tried it with Atomic. I got different errors but could not make it work.

Possible Solution. Read this part. :D

I then took an HTML file and loaded it into GoodReader. GoodReader opens the file without a problem, and you can use its built in browser to go to links. How well this will work with the web sites you go to I don't know.

You could also choose to copy the links in GoodReader and then paste them into Safari, or another browser.

GoodReader to the rescue, again!

Most reactions