What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HP Printing problem

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem printing from the Mac. I can see the settings and grange them. But not on the iPad. The problem is it tells me that I need photo paper. I never print photos. How do I get to the HP printer settings on the iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you printing using AirPrint from an app, or are you using a third party app that you installed?

In the fist case there are no controls on the iPad, other than choosing your printer and pages to print (if applicable). Check your settings on the printer and make sure the defaults are set to normal paper, etc. (check the manual)

In the second case any settings will be in the app, if they exist. The app may just use the default settings as well.

OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've tried 3 of them e print etc. and none of them have settings.
Which printing App. Do you use

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't used a printing app in a long time. I used Print n Share by Eurosmartz on my iPad 1 and 2, for a little bit. I've also used one or more of the HP printing apps. There are two or three of them. I have no idea what they are capable these days.

If you can find an app specifically for and from your printer brand it would be the most likely to include extra controls and features.

I still make rather heavy use of my computer, and it's right next to the printer. I also have Printopia (Mac only), which allows me to print directly to a folder, or even to an app like Preview on the computer. So, on the rare occasions that I need something printed from the iPad with more control, I two step it. iPad to computer, then computer to printer.

I just don't print to paper often enough to bother finding a perfect solution from the iPad. Sorry.

I do print to folders a lot though. It's a great way to save email and/or web page receipts; and it doesn't really matter whether they fit perfectly on a piece of paper when you do that.

OPrint is a similar app for Windows.

OP

420benz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well after doing a Factory Reset I thought the problem would go away but NO. I reset the HP and still the same problem.It works with my Mac and my Droid phone but not with the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well after doing a Factory Reset I thought the problem would go away but NO. I reset the HP and still the same problem.It works with my Mac and my Droid phone but not with the iPad.

Hello - please provide some more specific information: 1) iPad model & iOS version installed; 2) HP printer model; and 3) Did you also 'power recycle' your modem & router (i.e. power down and then restart). Is the printer setup wirelessly or cabled to your Mac? Did the iPad use to print to this HP, and when the problem started were there any software upgrades done on the iDevice. Finally, have you gone to the HP website for troubleshooting advice and possible firmware upgrades? Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts