What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HP photosmart 5510

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought an HP photosmart 5510 at Best Buy for $69.95. Interestingly enough, this is the same price that amazon and newegg has. I can usually get better prices online. Anyway, it is a good buy and a good printer.

I don't print much, but it is annoying to have to go to a local Kinko's to print something, or to have to wait until I am at work to print something. My goal was to spend under $100.00 for a wifi printer that will work from my Ipad and my pc. I checked out iOS: AirPrint 101 for a list of official air print supported printers and printed out a list. The Best Buy salesman was nice, not trying to talk me into a higher end photo printing model, after I told him my basic needs, and we agreed on the 5510, after I told him my preference for H.P.

It took less than 10 minutes to set up after unboxing. I plugged it in and followed the prompts to install the cartridges, print out and then scan a test sheet. I then set up wifi, connecting to my secure network. My Ipad 2 (IOS 5.01) was instantly able to find it within apps, and I sent a few test print jobs. I then downloaded the basic windows 7 drivers from hp.com and set it up as an ip printer. My pc can print to it. I could have set it up with the supplied DVD, but these sometimes install unwanted utilities and software.

I don't need color much, but it is a color printer, and it has a convenient wrap around paper feeder system, eliminating the need for an space taking tray.

I recommend this model, for basic printing needs from an Ipad and a PC.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the price and sounds like setup was a breeze and that it just works "as intended" -- good buy, good write-up and review. Thanks!

pedee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scan to IPad in PDF

When I try to scan in PDF format to IPad with the 5510 I cannot seem to save the file. Is this because I have no dedicated PDF reader apps like Goodreader?

Any help appreciated.

BTW scanning in JPEG works fine.

Last edited:

cbq1965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnnyApple said:
Hard to beat the price and sounds like setup was a breeze and that it just works "as intended" -- good buy, good write-up and review. Thanks!

Hope you can help but I have a wireless printer ( HP PHOTOSMART C6180 ) and wondered if I can print from my iPad . Carl

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To answer cbq1965:

The HP Photosmart c6180 is NOT listed as officially supported for Apple air print. See this page for supported printers:

iOS: AirPrint 101

You can try some unofficial methods to try and get your printer working. I have no experience with these and you may want to perform some research around before spending money:

This appears to be free:

How to Install AirPrint to Enable Wireless Printing on Windows? | Jaxov

For Mac's only, here is a $19.95 solution:

Printopia - AirPrint to Any Printer - Print from iPad - Print from iPhone - Ecamm Network

Here is a $9.99 solution for Mac's and PC, look here:

Collobos Software

To pedee:

I have no experience scanning to Ipad's. Goodreader is only $4.99 and is a good document management system, but don't know if it will help your situation. My advice to you (if there is one near you) is to go to an Apple store and ask the floor staff for advice. If they can not help, make an appointment at the "genius bar." This is all free by the way.

Thanks to whoever "liked" my post!

Also, I want to give Best Buy a good review. Best Buy gets a lot of bad press on the internet and some news stories. I have recently made 3 visits to a NY store and 2 purchases from the visits. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Cashiers did try to sell me extended warranties that I didn't need, but it was their job to do so, and there was no continued sell or pressure once I declined.

chokem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great, I called Best Buy about an hour ago for the same printer. I'm assuming it will work with an ipad1 running 5.0.1? And my i4S running the same? Also what print app did you install on your iPad to communicate with the printer?

marlowjen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help. I printed fine with my old HP wireless printer, moved house and just can not, it says no printer found. If I buy a new e-print HP printer (5510) will I be able to set it up without another computer? Our Mac book was stolen and we are out in Spain with a land line an wifi as before! This is my big concern that I will be unable to set up and use without the use of another computer.

Debby113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
marlowjen said:
Help. I printed fine with my old HP wireless printer, moved house and just can not, it says no printer found. If I buy a new e-print HP printer (5510) will I be able to set it up without another computer? Our Mac book was stolen and we are out in Spain with a land line an wifi as before! This is my big concern that I will be unable to set up and use without the use of another computer.

I just bought 5510 and it prints fine from my iPad. I just out my wireless password in. However when I try and scan, over computer not found. Haven't fixed it yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts