What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to watch footage shot on a Sony Cybershot on iPad?

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Sorry, I think i'm being really daft here but I've tried everything, searched everywhere :-(

I have a Sony Cybershot camera. When I shoot video on it and plug it into my iPad it shows up all the video files alongside the pictures taken, perfect! I choose one to import and once it is on my iPad it simply has an image of a camera and MP4 written on.

If I try to do anything with it it says MP4+THM on the file. I'm lost. I cant seem to change how the camera names the files or make the ipad identify the file type. In other words I cant open the video once it's imported.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks

Nick

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem (I have that camera too) and took the easy way out and used the oPlayer app. It seems to be able to play most any format video and has received some great reviews. I'd be interested, though, if you do find a way to play this format. I guess there might be a way to convert it externally into a format that the iPad can play but that sort of defeats the purpose!

Good Luck...

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem (I have that camera too) and took the easy way out and used the oPlayer app. It seems to be able to play most any format video and has received some great reviews. I'd be interested, though, if you do find a way to play this format. I guess there might be a way to convert it externally into a format that the iPad can play but that sort of defeats the purpose!

Good Luck...

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim

I've just downloaded the player app, erm, how do I get it to work? :confused:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have the vid in your camera roll try emailing the vid to yourself and when you recieve it hold finger on attachement and then a "open in" pop up menu should appear where you can choose oplayer from the list.

Anytime from there....you can open oplayer itself and then on the 'file' tab open 'my documents' and you should now see the files you previously played.

Hope that helps....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the vid in your camera roll try emailing the vid to yourself and when you recieve it hold finger on attachement and then a "open in" pop up menu should appear where you can choose oplayer from the list.

Anytime from there....you can open oplayer itself and then on the 'file' tab open 'my documents' and you should now see the files you previously played.

Hope that helps....

You beat me to it! Thanks!

If there are further problems, just let us know....we’re here 24/7... You just can’t get away from us!

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Alas, still no joy.

The file is in my photos last imported and all imported. When I highlight it it only gives the option to delete, not email, copy or print :-(

Camera roll? Isn't that on an iPhone?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have an iPad1 or an iPad2? I should have asked this right away - sorry. Don't worry, though, we'll sort this out..

Also, do you have the iPad's 'Swiss Army Knife' app, GoodReader?

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could you try a test to help clarify something.

OK - I know video files are big so, generally, emailing them to yourself to import them into the iPad is not a viable solution.

But would it be possible to shoot a very short video so that the resulting mp4 file is small enough to be emailed?

When it turns up on your iPad it probably will be too large to download automatically but, if you hold your finger on it, there should be the option to 'Open in' and then you'll be given the option of 'oPlayer'.

Basically I'm trying to determine whether the problem is with oPlayer not recognising the file type, or whether it's simply a file manipulation issue.

If it's the second - i.e. you are able to open this very short video in oPlayer and it plays OK - then, being a file manipulation problem, GoodReader should be able to fix it.

But I don't really want to suggest you purchase GoodReader - even though it's a great app! - unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm puzzled and trying to understand what's different between what you're doing and what I'm doing here.

I have an iPad1 too, so it can't be that is the problem.

I'm sorry it's taking so long to sort this problem out...

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem Tim, thanks so mich for your help!

Let me clarify a couple of things too.

I'm trying to avoid the need to use email at all. Basically, I'm trying to shoot video footage of golfers out on the golf course then plug my camera into my iPad using the adaptor I bought. I use a program on my iPad to then review the golf swings.

I've just shot some footage today, plugged my camera into the iPad and the contents of the camera all come up on the screen, the pics don't say anything but the video clips have MP4+THM on them. I can select them and import them but once I do I can't do anything with them.

I'll try e-mailing now...

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, progress!

I emailed a really short clip (about a second long!) and once it had downloaded I held my finger on it, it gave me the option to open in player and ta dahhhh, it opened.

What next? :D

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you dont want to go the email route....Since many isp's have a size limit on email attachments...15mb for comcast. You may need to sync the ipad with iTunes. On the pictures tab of iTunes tick the box for "include videos".

See if that helps...

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, progress!

I emailed a really short clip (about a second long!) and once it had downloaded I held my finger on it, it gave me the option to open in player and ta dahhhh, it opened.

What next? :D

OK - great news. As the previous poster said, you can't really email yourself big clips so you either need to use iTunes or GoodReader to get the video files from your PC to your iPad.

OK - OK - I know what you're about to say - I've already got those video clips on the iPad in the 'Photos' app, so why do I need to download them again...OK - I'm skating on this ice here, because I don't have my camera connection kit with me at present, but I wonder if you tried to download them again using your camera connection kit (delete the originals to begin with - you should be able to do this unless you've sync'd with iTunes) I wonder if this time you might get the option to open in oPlayer.

Have you tried transferring the files from your PC to oPlayer using their WiFi option? If you go to the 'Other' tab in oPlayer - last tab on the bottom right - you'll find the WiFi transfer option there.

oPlayer will tell you the IP address of the iPad. Go to your PC and enter that numeric address - something like http://192.168.1.108:xxxxxx where the x's will be shown - and your web browser will link up with oPlayer. After a few seconds you'll get an option on your PC to 'Browse' for the file you want to upload. Find the file you want and then hit the 'Submit' button.

If the file is big nothing appears to happen for quite a time - in fact there's no indication that anything is happening so you may need to look for flashing lights on your WiFi router to convince yourself that it's going on.

When the transfer has finished, you'll see the name of the file that you've uploaded list on your PC's web browser interface.

Go back to the iPad, cancel the WiFi page and go back to 'Files'. You'll see the name of the video file listed there. If you touch it, it should play OK.

Tim
Scotland

PS thanks to the last poster too for giving details of how to do this same process using iTunes from your PC. If you're a PC iTunes person, this might be a way to go that you'd prefer...

OP
P

Pughdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Deleted the originals from the iPad, reconnected the camera and imported the video again. Same thing happened. The file in my photos is just a grey box with MP4-THM when highlighted.

I haven't tried sending it from my PC as ideally I'd like to be able to do this away from home. Whilst I can open the video in oplayer the sound plays at a different speed to the picture and I'm unable to slow down the clip or pause. i use an app called V1 for looking at golf swings which allows me to do all of that stuff but obviously only when I can open the vid from my photos :-/

I feel like I'm chasing my tail bait here but it cant be this complicated surely? Thanks for your patience!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here might be a temp work around.....once in ipad's photo album....are you able to select them in order to upload to youtube directly from photo app? And then set them to private. I have done this with .avi's and then used yourtube 2 hd from cydia or tag disk hd from the app store to download in ipad resolution.

Most reactions

Latest posts