What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to use...Hot Corners (Mac)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a useful feature hidden away in macOS that doesn't get half the recognition that it should.

With Hot Corners set up, moving the mouse cursor to the corner of the screen invokes a user-defined function such as immediately starting the screen saver or clearing the screen to the desktop.

To use it, go to System Preferences/Mission Control

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-1-13-58-pm-png.29126

Clicking on the Hot Corners... button will allow you to choose from a variety of features:

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-1-17-34-pm-png.29127

screen-shot-2016-11-27-at-1-18-04-pm-png.29128

By default, macOS will assign the Hot Corner to the unmodified mouse cursor. If you want to ensure that a simple movement won't invoke the function, simply hold down one of the modifier keys while you are assigning the corner.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Kevin - I use Launchpad a lot and have my lower left screen setup as a 'hot corner' to this app - a lot quicker than clicking the icon in the dock - Dave :)

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kevin - I use Launchpad a lot and have my lower left screen setup as a 'hot corner' to this app - a lot quicker than clicking the icon in the dock - Dave :)

Hi Dave, I don't use it much. I remembered it when someone on mac-forums.com asked why their screensaver wasn't working during music playback. Figured forcing the screensaver to operate would be the easiest way to sort that problem out. Saves waiting five minutes too.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, @giradman, I stole your method of annotating images in Preview, so thank you for that information.

I'll probably do another "how to..." at some point concerning this tool, once I've had a chance to look around it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
By the way, @giradman, I stole your method of annotating images in Preview, so thank you for that information.

I'll probably do another "how to..." at some point concerning this tool, once I've had a chance to look around it.

Hi Kevin - no problem @ all - I've left a lot of posts in the MacForums that seemed to have helped others - still learning more myself (e.g. have done little w/ the PDF features) - an excellent book that's on my iPad is shown below (both available as a Kindle & a iBooks selection) - price seems to be about the same, i.e. $14 (however, would be a better bargain at half that price). Looking forward to your 'tutorial' - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 9.11.16 PM.png

Most reactions