What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't Copy video from PC to iPad Air 2

aboutthebush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hare tried 3 ways to copy videos from my Windows 10 PC to iPad Air 2 and all fail.

1. Using iTunes I select the ipad logo in the top line, then "File Sharing".
However no Apps appear in the Apps list and I can get no further.
2. Using Easeus Mobimover "Free" I can copy a jpg picture to the iPad, but not videos.
MobiMover says the video has been transferred, but it doesn't appear on the iPad.
3. I have tries connecting the iPad directly to a USB Ram Drive containing the required video,
but it doesn't appear in the Files App.

Another peculiar thing. When I connect the iPad to the PC,
the PC immediately shows the Photos App with a message
"We're having trouble accessing items on the device. Is it unlocked and have you
accepted the notification to connect. Make sure there are photos and videos on your device"
All these suggestions are correct, though I'm not actually trying to use this App.

It seems as if some setting in the iPad is preventing the transfer,
but all the usual suggestions check out OK.

Help please

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not checked the Photos app for the transfered videos, do so. That is the default location for many video/photo transfer methods. They may also show up in the TV app under the Library. Otherwise you need to use a third party video player like VLC. Those have various methods to transfer videos from PC to the iPad, including one where the iPad supplies a web address for you to enter into your PC's web browser, allowing a browser based file transfer utility. You need both to be on the same network for this to work.

It's been a long time since I've used iTunes to transfer files. However, as I remember the File Sharing is strictly for transferring files to an app, usually a third party app like VLC. Photos and movies in iTunes default to the Apple apps I mentioned, and do not work through File Sharing, Rather you would add them to the iTunes library on the PC, then sync that library to the iPad. This worked very well back when iTunes was the center of media for iOS/iPadOS. Now days it's not a great way of doing things.

I don't know why you are not seeing your RAM drive show up in the Files app. Most storage devices I've used show up in Files, including a CD/DVD device I have. But it's true not every external storage device will work with iPadOS. If they need to draw power from the iPad to work, then they often won't. Especially with older iPads with their smaller battery capacity.

Keep in mind that if you do use the Files app to copy videos to the iPad, they will still have to be imported for use in any of Apple's apps, or accessed using a third party player app. Or, you can probably play them from Files but only with the most basic playback controls.

When connecting an iPad to a PC, it should show up similar to other media you connect to the PC. It's limited to looking like a typical camera SD card, and limited to Photo content. That's how it used to be anyway. I havn't done this in forever, so things may have changed. It probably has, since how the iPad handles photos and videos is drastically different from back then. Anyway, even it works, it is meant to be a one way transfer, from iPad to PC. Trying to add photos or videos to the iPad using this method has never worked, or when it did, introduced all kinds of problems.

OP
A

aboutthebush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet and many thanks for your detailed explanation / solution.
As is often the case, the solution was simple and contained in your first paragraph.
I found the videos in the TV App and they appear to have been successfully copied over using EaseUS MobiMover.
I verified this by copying a new video successfully.
It would now be nice to transfer them to my Photos app (which does contain some videos taken on theiPad itself)
but from a bit of research, it seems that can't be done - how Apple hates anything it hasn't done itself!

The rest of the issues I reported are now no longer an issue and I thank you once again for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

I can't really help much with getting videos into Photos. It is the default when saving videos from Mail, Messages, and a few other apps, but transferring them from the TV app is probably impossible. You should be able to transfer them from the computer using something like PhotoSync by touchbyte GmbH. There is a companion app for the PC that makes transferring photos and videos to/from the Photos app easy(ish).

If you decide to get it, be sure to check the developer. There are a couple apps with almost identical names.

Photos isn't great place to watch video content from. It is more like an archive. You pretty much have to get the video into Photos if you want to work with it in iMovie, or send/share it with others.

Note on iMovie: Other video editing apps are more flexible, but usually aren't free.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow. I rarely need PhotoSync, so I haven't used it in a long time. They've really upped their game. Cost more now too, but looks like it might be worth it if you do a lot of photo/video transferring and backups.

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might look in to an app called Shareit.
I have used to to move large files from my PC to my iPad. I use the Pro version, which cost a few bucks.

OP
A

aboutthebush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thans to all who assisted especially twerppoet.
I'm now quite adept at using MobiMover from easeUS and it's working fine for me.
I would now mark this post as solved but not sure if that's possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts