What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to upgrade to ios 6.1.2 with jailbroken device

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another jailbreaking for dummies Q

On my newly jb ipad 3 - with ios 6.11 - do I have to start all over again to get this new ios 6.1.2 ?
(Meaning 3 days work of backup, restore etc).

How do you figure three days? I'd never done it before, and it took me a good 6 hours. But that was going back and forth from updating, jail breaking, and restoring to working on other projects around the house.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But, yeah, regardless of how long it takes (it usually takes me about 2 hours to do - with 150+ apps installed) - you do have to do the whole process over again from the beginning. Just like you never did it a couple of days ago.

And, yes, I feel your pain! :) I'm the "IT" person for 4 jailbroken phones, one JB'd iPad and one iPod. I gave a huge sigh of exasperation when iOS 6.1.2 was released. But, whatcha gonna do? Cause my plan is to always stay as current as possible...

Marilyn

MorAase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suggestion for a new "sticky"

List over must do updates!

Is 6.1.2 really worth the effort, is this battery fix (?) something i must ?

Oh yes 3 days, at least when you have a dog, a lot of food to prepare, three granary breads to make, and mum is just turned 86,
One day to collect the data, day two first attempt - which usually chrashes due a silly error ( like my mac mini that runs the Itunes, suddenly "takes a nap") day three do the real evasion process ;)

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Took me like 45min from backup to fully restored and jb on 6.1.2....not sure where all day comes into play unless you are downloading the new iOS on a dial up connection....

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took me like 45min from backup to fully restored and jb on 6.1.2....not sure where all day comes into play unless you are downloading the new iOS on a dial up connection....
Exactly!! I have a century link dial up type connection because I live out in the boon docks. I started downloading with iTunes the night before but the next morning it had shut down sometime during the night. I started over the next day and left it but it stopped again. It turns out itunes will quit downloading if your computer goes into hibernation mode. Once I set hibernation mode to start after 3 hours (the time iTunes gave me to download the package) it worked. Three hours later I had the update. It would have been quicker but I wasn't sitting at my computer fully focused on update, jailbreak, and restoring. 45 minutes sounds about right.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does installing with DFU mode not delete all the apps you installed

Restoring to any version of iOS will delete every thing on the iPad. iTunes wipes the iPad to load the new firmware. That's why you make a backup before restoring - so you can put it on the iPad to get everything back.

Marilyn

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Better late than never, we now have an updated guide for upgrading a jailbroken device - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/104355-how-upgrade-your-6-x-jailbroken-ipad.html
You have always been the best with upgrading, and jail breaking. I was surprised I have not see you in this forum lately.
please keep us updated on the new and updated tweaks and themes that are available. I so value your opinion and look forward to your input.
Thank you.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 57

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, thought you had a new one, must have replied to an old thread,but thank you for your past help. It did make this Jb much easier.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 57

Most reactions

Latest posts