What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to upgrade to ios 6.1.2 with jailbroken device

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question. But what are all the steps I need to take to upgrade to 6.1.2 on my jailbroken ipad 4 with ios 6.1? I want to make sure I do this in the safest way possible. This is the first apple device Ive ever had that was jailbroken, and Im a little nervous about upgrading. I see that the evasi0n developers have given it the OK. If there is already a post on how to do this, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise let me know what steps I need to take. Thanks in advance for any help given.

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question. But what are all the steps I need to take to upgrade to 6.1.2 on my jailbroken ipad 4 with ios 6.1? I want to make sure I do this in the safest way possible. This is the first apple device Ive ever had that was jailbroken, and Im a little nervous about upgrading. I see that the evasi0n developers have given it the OK. If there is already a post on how to do this, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise let me know what steps I need to take. Thanks in advance for any help given.

P.S. I have the cydia tweak "No Update" installed on my device. Do I need to uninstall?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When upgrading/restoring a jailbroken device, it's recommended that you use DFU mode to do so. This ensures that everything is wiped from the device. And no, you won't have to install and uninstall anything as DFU mode bypasses any restrictions that keeps you from restoring like a passcode locked device, etc.

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When upgrading/restoring a jailbroken device, it's recommended that you use DFU mode to do so. This ensures that everything is wiped from the device. And no, you won't have to install and uninstall anything as DFU mode bypasses any restrictions that keeps you from restoring like a passcode locked device, etc.

Thanks so much, but what is "DFU mode"?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DFU = Device Firmware Update. As the acronym frankly says, it's for updating your device's firmware. Leigh (f4780y) has a really nice and descriptive guide on DFU mode here

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DFU = Device Firmware Update. As the acronym frankly says, it's for updating your device's firmware. Leigh (f4780y) has a really nice and descriptive guide on DFU mode here

Ok, I read the thread you attached on DFU mode and completely understand what it is and how to get my device to go into it. But, what are the steps leading up to, and after doing this step? Do I just open iTunes on my windows computer, plug the iPad in and proceed to enter DFU mode and the iPad will update from there to ios 6.1.2. then restore my device after all that is finished? Im totally throwing this out there as a guess. I would so appreciate a step by step, or a link to a thread with one if you know of one.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Simplified

1) Plug your device into your computer

2) Put your device into DFU mode (iTunes does not have to be open, nothing does really, as long as your device is recognized and the driver is installed)

3) Open up iTunes (if it's not opened already)

4) Go to your device's profile (click on your device on the left hand taskbar)

5) Shift + Click Restore (Command + Click Restore for Macs) and point it to the iOS IPSW that you want to restore to. iTunes will restore your device.

If the iOS IPSW that you want to is not being signed, you'll need to create a custom IPSW with SHSH blobs saved. Otherwise, if it's 6.1.2 (the current latest iOS), then you can simply point it to the IPSW that you downloaded.

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I read the thread you attached on DFU mode and completely understand what it is and how to get my device to go into it. But, what are the steps leading up to, and after doing this step? Do I just open iTunes on my windows computer, plug the iPad in and proceed to enter DFU mode and the iPad will update from there to ios 6.1.2. then restore my device after all that is finished? Im totally throwing this out there as a guess. I would so appreciate a step by step, or a link to a thread with one if you know of one.

Ya, I am waiting for the step by step, cuz I lost all my photos on last upgrade, and I thought I followed step by step. Still do not have photo's, but, do not want to screw anything up again.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ya, I am waiting for the step by step, cuz I lost all my photos on last upgrade, and I thought I followed step by step. Still do not have photo's, but, do not want to screw anything up again.

Always backup before restoring or upgrading (OTA updates don't require a backup). To perform a backup using iTunes, right-click your iPhone on the left hand taskbar, and click Backup. Or, you can go to your device's profile, tick "Backup to Computer" and click backup. Just make sure that you don't overwrite that backup or make sure that you've allowed multiple instances of backups. Personally, I'd make a copy of the backup, and archive it on a flash drive just in case.

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simplified

1) Plug your device into your computer

2) Put your device into DFU mode (iTunes does not have to be open, nothing does really, as long as your device is recognized and the driver is installed)

3) Open up iTunes (if it's not opened already)

4) Go to your device's profile (click on your device on the left hand taskbar)

5) Shift + Click Restore (Command + Click Restore for Macs) and point it to the iOS IPSW that you want to restore to. iTunes will restore your device.

If the iOS IPSW that you want to is not being signed, you'll need to create a custom IPSW with SHSH blobs saved. Otherwise, if it's 6.1.2 (the current latest iOS), then you can simply point it to the IPSW that you downloaded.

Thank you so much for your help! The checks in the mail.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this tutorial here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=26399

Yes, it talks about upgrading/restoring with iOS 4.x, so it's an older post - but the steps are the same ... except for step 3.

When you get to step 3 in the tutorial, use this instead:

------------

3. Put your device into DFU Mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) and restore the iOS version you are moving to using iTunes (in your case, to iOS 6.1.2).

Then follow this tutorial to jail break the iPad using the evasi0n 1.4 tool: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=102722
Once you have finished you should have a clean iPad freshly jailbroken with Cydia on it!

-----------

Once your iPad is jail broken, you can then move on to step 4 in the tutorial.

Hopefully, this will help. Holler back if you need more assistance. Regardless, do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at this tutorial here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=26399

Yes, it talks about upgrading/restoring with iOS 4.x, so it's an older post - but the steps are the same ... except for step 3.

------------

3. Put your device into DFU Mode (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html) and restore the iOS version you are moving to using iTunes (in your case, to iOS 6.1.2).

Then follow this tutorial to jail break the iPad using the evasi0n 1.4 tool: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=102722
Once you have finished you should have a clean iPad freshly jailbroken with Cydia on it!

-----------

Hopefully, this will help. Holler back if you need more assistance. Regardless, do let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, I'll definitely look at this as well before going through with it.

OP
crjcreates

crjcreates

iPF Noob
Reaction score

------------

-----------

Marilyn

With the help of your thread here, and the links to the others. The update went as smooth as I could have hoped for. This being the first time on a jail broken device and all. The only issue I ran across was I didn't set up my iPad after updating in DFU before jail breaking it. This caused the jailbreak to freeze up a quarter into the process. All I did was reboot my iPad then unplugged it. Then went through the entire setup, like you would on a brand new device, and the jail brake after that went like clockwork. Oh ya, PKGbackup worked awesome for keeping all my cynical apps and setting the same. Thanks again for all the helpful imput.

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i have jaibroken ipad 6.1.1.. if i update it through ipad wifi, will it work or the jailbreak be lost? i dont have anything in particular that i would want to backup..so is DFU mode still required?

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just upgraded my iPad 3 from IOS 6.0.2 to IOS 6.1.2 :p. After the upgrade I ran tinyumbrella to get blobs. I got nothing :eek: . Then I ran Evasi0n 1.4 and did the jailbreak. Did littleumbrella after ... also no blob. The blob thingy, is it only available if there is 6.1.3 and 6.1.2 is still signed by Apple?

So as soon as Apple release 6.1.3, I should rush out and get my blob? :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts