What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to upgrade from jailbroken 3.2.2 to 4.2.1?

Reaction score
If I upgrade with iTunes it'll upgrade to 4.3, so how do I go from 3.2.2 to 4.2.1? Also, will I need to jb again, and if so, how? Thanks! :)

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where are you guys? I just checked in iTunes and the latest is 4.2.1 here in the USA. iOS4.3 is in beta 3 and not release as far as I know. I am a developer want-to-be,(it's harder than I thought), I have iOS 4.3b3 as the latest version and haven't been notified that it's out of beta yet by Apple Dev Team.

samhail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i clarify one thing...

I have 3.2 jailbroken now with what ever apps/hack i have installed
I want to upgrade to 4.2.1.
If i upgrade through itunes will i loose all the stuff i have put on my ipad ?
is it as simple as upgrading, then running the jailbreak and syncing with itunes again ?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just did this myself, yesterday. Yes you will lose all your jailbreak apps. So, first look at all your Cydia apps and write them down. Then go to Cydia and look in the new "Manage" icon on the Cydia homepage, and check and see if all the paid apps you have are listed there. Some may be missing, but when you go to download them it will say they have already been paid for. Remember to think about the apps that have no icon and write them down, also. Keep in mind that you will probably want to use some of the newer apps rather than the older ones, not 4.x compatible.

Backup everything in iTunes. Some say restore, if everything is running smoothly with not too many weird things happening, then you should be OK to proceed without a restore. If you don't restore first and you have problems, you can always do it again. I restored and then reloaded all my Apple apps, then did the JB.

Follow the clock on the GP app. Click start JB, watch the clock and the highlighted instruction on the left it will give you a count to get your finger on the Sleep button, and a count to hold the Sleep button down, a count to hold the Sleep and Home buttons and when to let go. If you don't see the text scroll by on the screen within 5 to 10 seconds or so, it probably didn't take, try again. It took me a while to notice the clock count down and the highlighted (bold) text were in sync with each other, a real help to get the timing right.

When you try to download Cydia by taping on the "Loader" it may take a while for the Cydia icon to appear, the servers are slammed, so many try to JB at once. Just keep trying, took me about 8 hours. Even after it appears you may have to try over and over.

After your JB, then re-download all of your Cydia apps that you want to keep, just keep in mind that some won't be compatible with 4.2.1. Check the app page for compatibility info, most won't let you download a non compatible app, some will.

I streamline my apps by finding apps that did several thing in one app, instead of several apps doing only one or two things like the old ones did. For instance I used Folder Enhancer instead of Categories.

samhail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Legend Thanks alot.
only thing is i have a game i got into spacestation... it is on openfeint but i never registered.

ah well.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just did mine with greenpois)n, it is understanding it kept all my apps intacts and i only see reboot apple logo not green poison logo as do with iphone 4?:confused: I did use RC5 2 GP for ipad though.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just did mine with greenpois)n, it is understanding it kept all my apps intacts and i only see reboot apple logo not green poison logo as do with iphone 4?:confused: I did use RC5 2 GP for ipad though.

Animated logo on the iPad does not appear the same as the iPhone4. Don't worry about it. As long as your jb apps are working, the untether is OK

TmacD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZibaWal said:

I have a similar situation, went from 3.2.2 JB, upgraded via iTunes to 4.2 and JB again, before the upgrade to 4.2 it took quite a while to backup the iPad but then after JB all the apps were still there even the games achievements were still in tact.

To be honest it was worth while waiting for.

Hashim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can i keep all app that installed by instalous after jailbreak my ipad from 3.2.2 to the new one plzzz

johnnypanic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can i keep all app that installed by instalous after jailbreak my ipad from 3.2.2 to the new one plzzz

I backed up my ipad via itunes. Update to 4.2.1 and then use greenpois0n to jailbreak. Once completed, I installed cydia, then installous and everything was good to go, all apps still present :)

triodusiecle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backed up my ipad via itunes. Update to 4.2.1 and then use greenpois0n to jailbreak. Once completed, I installed cydia, then installous and everything was good to go, all apps still present :)

when you updated to 4.2.1 in iTunes, did it remove Cydia from your apps?
were you with Limera1n? if so, updating removes automatically Cydia and Limera1n and leaves all others apps from installous?

thx!

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I attempted going from JB 3.2 to 4.2.1 today since 4.3 will be starting soon. The update went smooth and all my JB apps were still there but wouldnt play. I then ran greenpoisin and had difficulty with it and then I was too late noticing the jailbreak command before I turned off the ipad etc. After a while itunes told me I was in restore mode and had to restore but I didnt want to do this so after a long time holding the buttons and replugging into itunes I got the ipad working without restoring and was able to run greenpoisin and jailbreak it!!! All the JB apps now run but Cydia is gone?? Anyone know how to get Cydia back?

Most reactions

Latest posts