What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer files from my PC to iPad over wifi?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any apps that would allow me to transfer files from my PC to the iPad over the wifi connection?

Specifically, I would like to be able to do it completely from my PC, meaning while my wife is using the iPad (checking her mail or surfing), I could connect and transfer the pics from my PC without having to use the iPad at all (except for initial setup of the app of course).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

iPad_Lover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest Dropbox. It's a wonderful free service, and you can transfer pics and files from your computer to your iPad.
With the free service, you get up to 2GB of space, and you can upgrade to get more.
Check out the website at: www.Dropbox.com for a little more info.
Hope this helps! ;)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thrashman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox sounds ok, but it would be cool to just transfer over wifi. You would have to waste time uploading to dropbox 1st.
My cheap android tablet could do this with no prob. What's up with that?
I know it's probably because apple doesn't want users to have root access.
Maybe someone could create an app on cydia. I have a feeling we will see this in ifile in the future.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this will do what I want:
Install OpenSSH On iPad/iPhone And Connect To PC/Mac Using WiFi [How To]

It requires to jailbreak iPad and then install OpenSSH. I can then use WinSCP (which I use everyday anyways) and transfer files back and forth directly from my PC over wifi without iTunes and without a cable (assuming the iPad is on and connected to wifi of course). In theory, it should not require any interaction on the iPad itself, but until I install it and play with it, I wont' know that for sure.

If you don't like WinSCP as an ftp client, it should theoretically work with any other ftp client (like FileZilla) as well. I don't know that for sure, but if one ftp client can connect, then theoretically they should all be able to connect!

Reaction score
jsherk said:
Are there any apps that would allow me to transfer files from my PC to the iPad over the wifi connection?

Specifically, I would like to be able to do it completely from my PC, meaning while my wife is using the iPad (checking her mail or surfing), I could connect and transfer the pics from my PC without having to use the iPad at all (except for initial setup of the app of course).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I have not yet come across an app, which allows you to place files remotely on the iPad without the app being on the foreground. So I don't think that you can use the iPad for other things while transferring the files.

Anyway, here is what I use:

How to synchronize files automatically between Goodreader and a folder on your PC/Mac over wifi, but without internet access.

1) Setting up goodreader as a network drive (this will make the goodreader folder appear as a hard drive on your computer).

On Windows 7, this can be done as followed. (Instead of browsing to the folder, add the IP address Goodreader shows when you open Wifi-Transfer)
www.itechtalk.com/thread3673.html
On Mac, instructions can be found here:
www.goodreader.net/gr-man-tr-wifi-mac.html

At this stage the goodreader network drive can be used pretty much as a thumb drive, so you can copy/cut/move folders/files directly.

To initialize the data transfer, you open Goodreader and click on the wifi symbol at the bottom to start Wifi-Sync.

S197

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JB the ipad and you can use WinSCP to remote into it while without having anything special running on the ipad.

Most reactions