What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to access wifi transfer feature

captvijay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently changed my ADSL modem to D-Link 2750U (Wireless N300 ADSL2+Router) it is connected to my PC via Ethernet cable and with Phone line via RJ11 cable. And my iPad is on WiFi created by this ADSL modem.
Earlier with previous modem I used to transfer files from my PC to iPad via Wifi Transfer option. However with new modem every time I try WiFi transfer from iPad to PC in Firefox browser (http://192.168.1.37:8080) I get following message in browser on PC - The connection has timed out. The server at 192.168.1.37:8080 is taking too long to respond. I tried similar other apps like WiFiTransfer File Explorer but no luck. I am getting same message. I am completely helpless without Wifi transfer option. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I recently changed my ADSL modem to D-Link 2750U (Wireless N300 ADSL2+Router) it is connected to my PC via Ethernet cable and with Phone line via RJ11 cable. And my iPad is on WiFi created by this ADSL modem.
Earlier with previous modem I used to transfer files from my PC to iPad via Wifi Transfer option. However with new modem every time I try WiFi transfer from iPad to PC in Firefox browser (http://192.168.1.37:8080) I get following message in browser on PC - The connection has timed out. The server at 192.168.1.37:8080 is taking too long to respond. I tried similar other apps like WiFiTransfer File Explorer but no luck. I am getting same message. I am completely helpless without Wifi transfer option. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) In googling your D-Link DSL modem/router, the India Amazon site showed the one below, assume your model - first, there was a question there concerning a firmware update - did you check whether your device has the most recent and appropriate firmware for your location? Second, please provide more information on your PC (brand/model/age) and the Windows version installed. Third, w/ your previous Wi-Fi router, how did you transfer files 'wirelessly' between your iPad and PC?

As you probably know, the '192.168.x.x' IP addresses are reserved for router assignments of specific IP addresses to your devices in your home network (I have an Apple AirPort Extreme which uses reserved addresses in the 10.x.x.x range, my router is 10.0.1.1), so you have a device assigned as 192.168.1.37 - the 8080 is the TCP/IP port used for transfer - next question is how are you using the FF browser for file transfers?

Now there are a number of apps that can do wireless file/photo transfers and cloud options (iCloud, Dropbox, Google, etc.) could be used, but please respond to the above first - also, have you powered cycle your devices, i.e. turn the modem/router off, wait, and re-powered; and reboot your PC + reset the iPad. Let us know - Dave
Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 12.32.58 PM.png

OP
C

captvijay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave first of all thanks a lot for your efforts to respond. Now additional details. I have got same DSL Model shown in your attachment. It has the latest firmware. Internet on PC and WiFi accessed by by my IDevecis works fine. I have ASUS desktop with Windows 10 installation. Now about how am I using FF browser for wifi transfer? Since few years I use same method of fast file transfer through apps like GoodReader or OPlayer on iDevices. Eg in GoodReader click little wifi icon it shows pop up asking to type something like http://192.168.1.33:8080 in browser on PC. After typing above address on PC it would show interface where I could see all files in GoodReader and also option to upload files to GoodReader and vice versa to download file from GoodReader simply click hyperlinks of file one wants to download in FF Browser.
I have Power Recycled iDevices and PC. Also disabled AVIRA Antivirus and Firewall also. However no luck. Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - delayed a response hoping that others using a PC/Windows (I'm on Mac computers) might 'chime in' w/ advice. Again, the popup above, i.e. "http://192.168.1.33:8080" is asking you to put in the IP address of one of your devices, possibly your PC (the ......1.33) and the "8080" is the PC port for TCP/IP exchange - not sure that I can really answer 'why' this is happening on your network.

Also, I'm still not certain why you need to use Firefox as a 'go-between' vs. the availability of many other wireless apps that could be used for file transfer? If you might want to give an 'alternate method' a try, then I could offer suggestions. You could also try to contact D-Link support for their suggestions. Sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible your new DSL router is placing the physical eithernet port and the wi-fi network on two different networks.

On the iPad go to Settings > Wi-Fi, tap the (i) next to the network and note the IP address and subnet mask. In the network settings on your computer look for the same information. The first three digits of the IP addresses should be the same, and the subnet mask should be a lower number or the same on computer.

An example might look like this.

IPad: 192.168.1.33. Subnet 255.255.255.192
Computer: 192.168.1.34. Subnet 255.255.255.0 (this is a less retrictive subnet that incudes the addresses in the 192 range)

The router and the DNS addresses should also be the same.

Most reactions

Latest posts