What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if stolen iPad is yours?

iJoeTime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So.. iPad went missing from the house when it was left open a few weeks ago. Nothing else was missing so we were pretty sure some neighbor or neighbor kid got in and got it.

Called apple support and tried to track it but was unsuccessful probably because it locator was turned off. (We didn't have pass code on it.. bad move).

Anyways, got a visit from a neighbor today and he thinks his roommate took it. There is a pass code on it so we can't get on it and see.. and either way he could have formatted it by now.

Is there another way to verify via the serial number or any other method?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, Apple have records of all of your purchases. If they can tell that a dead iPad is yours when you take it for exchange under warranty, I would think they can tell you from the serial number whether its yours or not.

We always tell people that they don't need a receipt, and no-one has ever come back to us and told us that we were wrong.

Can your neighbor get the serial number from the back of the iPad?

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, Apple have records of all of your purchases. If they can tell that a dead iPad is yours when you take it for exchange under warranty, I would think they can tell you from the serial number whether its yours or not.

We always tell people that they don't need a receipt, and no-one has ever come back to us and told us that we were wrong.

Can your neighbor get the serial number from the back of the iPad?

There are no serial numbers on the back of the iPad mini.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The easier way to find the serial number is to open Settings, then General then About. The serial number is displayed about 2/3 the way down the page when the mini is held in portrait mode. This is the better way because the serial number on the back is in quite small font...and on my black mini, I needed to shine a flashlight on it to see the number.

I caution you against any underhanded tactics to get at the mini....if it is not yours then you have mistreated this person who has the iPad now....he might have bought it....I'd be super pissed if I found someone was snooping on my iPad because they *thought* I stole it when I didn't. Two wrongs don't make a right.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My box is buried in the closet so I cannot check, but does the S/N live on the sticker like the phone does?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ask the roommate to take a photo of the back of the iPad, which shows the serial number. You can try asking Apple for your iPad's serial number and see whether it matches. If it does, contact the cops and let them do their jobs. Don't try approaching the person with the iPad and tipping him off. If he bought it, cops will ask for proof. If he doesn't have it, you should get it back and cops should deal with him.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still have my iPad 2 box because I use it to store old software manuals.

The serial number is on the box, and I bought my iPad about 2 years ago.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear that you have to establish if the iPad that your neighbour's roommate has the same serial number or any other positive identification marks as the one which has been stolen from you. You can do this by going to the police and giving them all the information regarding the theft and your suspicions. To aid any subsequent police enquirie, first, see if your neighbour can get access to the iPad and obtain proof of the serial number by taking a picture of it. Once you have the evidence, present it to the police for them to investigate.
I say all this, repeating what KayKayKay has advised, only because you have intimated that your neighbour may have some access to the iPad 'there is a pass code on it so we can't get on it and see'. Just one thing to be aware of and that is your neighbour's motives. How much can you rely on what he is telling you? AQ_OC is correct when he tells you to exercise caution. Put yourself in the roomate's shoes as if he has legitimately purchased the iPad. The one thing that does make me curious is exactly why your neighbour thinks his roomate has taken your iPad and why/how he thinks he entered your property to do so? These are basic questions that the police may asked if you involve them. Finally, it would be nice to know how you get on. Good luck!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, I don't know if anyone else does this, but I have a folder of photos/screen shots of the serial numbers of all my electronics. In case I ever need the numbers, I will have them easily accessible, rather than having to look for a box I no longer have, etc. For iDevices, I've taken screen shots of my serial numbers under Settings, for instance. If I'm ever robbed, lose my gadget or such, I'll be prepared to give cops, the insurance company or whatever my info.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, I don't know if anyone else does this, but I have a folder of photos/screen shots of the serial numbers of all my electronics. In case I ever need the numbers, I will have them easily accessible, rather than having to look for a box I no longer have, etc. For iDevices, I've taken screen shots of my serial numbers under Settings, for instance. If I'm ever robbed, lose my gadget or such, I'll be prepared to give cops, the insurance company or whatever my info.
Yes, KayKayKay, in the UK I have recorded the serial numbers, IMEI numbers of any phones, laptop, computer, camera and iPad details with photos showing any identification marks on an official database available to users. It is called Immobilise :: The National Property Register, for phones, gadgets, bikes & more...
Should you be unfortunate enough to have a phone stolen, for example, it can instantly be rendered useless by contacting immobilise.
Mike

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, KayKayKay, in the UK I have recorded the serial numbers, IMEI numbers of any phones, laptop, computer, camera and iPad details with photos showing any identification marks on an official database available to users. It is called Immobilise :: The National Property Register, for phones, gadgets, bikes & more...
Should you be unfortunate enough to have a phone stolen, for example, it can instantly be rendered useless by contacting immobilise.
Mike

Yes, I've read about various countries putting such consumer protections into effect. Unfortunately, the US hasn't gotten it together:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/02/t...ustry-looks-the-other-way.html?pagewanted=all

New efforts to curb nationwide cellphone theft epidemic - NBC News.com

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since only iOS devices are used in my household, I logged into either iCloud or another Apple site and added the serial numbers of all the devices. When I get home, I'll be able to post exactly where I added this information. (I did this a few months ago.)

Most reactions

Latest posts