What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save a downloaded PDF document

paolochilosi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded a PDF document on my iPad from a website. Now I want to save it for later reading when my wifi connection will be down. How and where to save it on the iPad? Thanks

drosenth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know more about how you "saved" the PDF file. Safari doesn't do this but other browsers and PDF viewers do it quite easily. More to come when we understand your current process.

Regards,
DaveR

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader
Stanza

I could have sworn iBooks would open from Safari... Pretty sure Atomic allows you to "open in..."

Ned barber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And where isnit saved?

I've been using file browser app to get PDFs and other files off my IMac. I can save the. In what they call local files but they don't seem to be accessible to other apps. I too would like to save PDFs i find on websites. Is there actually a file system in IOS 4 that we can put data into and retrieve it via multiple apps?

OP
P

paolochilosi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's me be more specific
Using Safari browser I found a web page with an interesting article
I downloaded the PDF fine
I wanted save it for further reading later when wifi connection is not available
I could not find a way to save the file

Dave
If Safari do not allow to save a downloaded PDF file this is a very unfortunate limitation. Do you think it will really necessary to have another application bowser to do it?

USbill
What is Atomic?
How atomic can help me?

drosenth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there,

Thanks for the clarification. What actually happens is the PDF was "opened" which is why I was asking for more details. Atomic web browser is a fantastic browser that you might consider over Safari; however, it won't allow you to "download/save" either. I also bought Mercury browser as it supports saving PDF downloaded files....or, use goodreader Viewer and point to the URL and it will save it for later. Mercury, atomic and goodreader cost but they are super cheap. I wish atomic browser would save downloads but it won't. Oh well.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. Thx,
DaveR

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the iPad: when you find a PDF you wish to save in safari, copy the Url.
Open Goodreader, tap "Browse the Web" or "From URL" paste Url, open document and save.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the iPad: when you find a PDF you wish to save in safari, copy the Url.
Open Goodreader, tap "Browse the Web" or "From URL" paste Url, open document and save.

Or, put a "g" in front of the URL (the one that ends with PDF) and press "Go." Goodreader will open and download the document. Either way, Goodreader can save PDFs for you.

Marilyn

Kysycodon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download HD

An another way:
you can use App: Downloads HD (version Full $2.99, Lite:free, both are able to download files, and are nice browsers with tabs).
Like in Goodreader, you copy the link to DownloadHD, wipe on the link of the file, choose Download.
When downloaded, In the File Manager (next to browser in this app) you tap the file downloaded, this browser can read it immediately, or you can use fonction " Open in...".

Better than Goodreader, you can create a bookmark in Safari "Open link in Download HD" , so when you have a link, just need to choose this bookmark , the link will be opened automatically in Download HD.

enjoy!

Ned barber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloading with Mercury

I tried downloading a PDF in Mercury. Couldn't make it work. Entered a name and a file name and clicked download. Nothing. What am I missing?

OP
P

paolochilosi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you
I just determined that or iPad or Safari is not mature yet or it Has some major technical limitations
I will expect that the native browser, Safari, to give the basic functionalities I find in the Windows Explorer
Anyhow as soon I have some time I will try the solutions you have suggested
And let you know

Most reactions

Latest posts