What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to mute iPad (other than the side switch)?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I never really needed this, so I only discovered now that if I turn the iPad volume down to zero, this only applies to sound coming from media players being silenced. I still get various notification sounds. So my question is -- how can you temporarily mute an iPad (running iOS 6.1), in case the side switch is set to turn off rotation (instead of the default mute)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I never really needed this, so I only discovered now that if I turn the iPad volume down to zero, this only applies to sound coming from media players being silenced. I still get various notification sounds. So my question is -- how can you temporarily mute an iPad (running iOS 6.1), in case the side switch is set to turn off rotation (instead of the default mute)?
To mute the iPad if the side switch is set to lock rotation, bring up the control centre and tap the indicated mute button. image-3937620050.jpg

I just realized you're still on iOS 6. In that case double tap the home button to bring up the multi-tasking bar, then swipe to the right. There should be a mute icon at the far left, next to the music player controls. Tap the icon and your iPad will be muted.

Last edited:
OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I totally forgot about that icon in the multitasking bar. It works. Although it mutes notifications only (not players' sound), so I guess it's complementary to setting volume to zero. :)

As for the mute button in Control Center in iOS 7 -- that's iPad only? Because I don't remember seeing it on an iPhone.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I totally forgot about that icon in the multitasking bar. It works. Although it mutes notifications only (not players' sound), so I guess it's complementary to setting volume to zero. :)

As for the mute button in Control Center in iOS 7 -- that's iPad only? Because I don't remember seeing it on an iPhone.

Yes, it's iPad only. The iPhone has the Orientation lock in its Control Center. You get a slider for the volume. I guess Apple figured it's easier to use the mute button on the side of the phone (plus, you can always move the slider all the way down)...

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More, mostly relevant, information.

If you go to Settings > Sounds you will see a switch under the volume slider. If the switch is set to Change with Buttons, then 'all' sounds including system sounds (alerts, notifications, alarms, ringers, keyboard clicks, etc) will change with the main volume (using the volume buttons). If it is off, the system sounds will remain at the level set by the slider, no matter what the the general (app) volume level is set to. In that case you need to use the Mute option to turn off system sounds.

The ability to set two volume levels for system and general app sounds is so that you can make sure your alarms can be heard, even if you turned your music way low for some reason.

The Mute option is so that you can turn off system sounds and prevent the iPad from making (unintentional) rude noises when it is inappropriate; like theaters, meetings, and dinner with the in-laws. But, you can still whip it out and show them the video of their grandchildren (with sound) and not worry about the settings.

Summary: To stop all sound on an iPad.

With the Change with Button turned on, all you need to do is lower the volume to zero with the buttons.

With the Change with Buttons turned off, you need to lower the volume to zero and mute the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts