What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to fix a water-damaged earpods

BlackOropher26

iPF Novice
Reaction score
his may not be the site for this, but the apple support won't answer me so i'd have to ask in here.
My ipod earpods were water damaged..it was accidentally included at the laundry so when i use it, the sound is pretty low.
Any idea on how can i fix this?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
his may not be the site for this, but the apple support won't answer me so i'd have to ask in here. My ipod earpods were water damaged..it was accidentally included at the laundry so when i use it, the sound is pretty low. Any idea on how can i fix this?
I'm afraid that you're going to have to get new EarPods, they're not meant to be disassembled without damaging them even further. If you have AppleCare+, it should cover the water damage.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
his may not be the site for this, but the apple support won't answer me so i'd have to ask in here.
My ipod earpods were water damaged..it was accidentally included at the laundry so when i use it, the sound is pretty low.
Any idea on how can i fix this?

Now, these are pretty cheap devices and I assume that the water damage was your fault - correct? Well just buy some new & better ones - if Apple will cover replacement then not an issue. Dave :)

OP
B

BlackOropher26

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now, these are pretty cheap devices and I assume that the water damage was your fault - correct? Well just buy some new & better ones - if Apple will cover replacement then not an issue. Dave :)

How about the dryr ice method? does it work?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about the dryr ice method? does it work?

I've never heard of that method, so can't comment.

Have they dried out fully? I don't know if they would already be damaged beyond repair and it's not a good idea to use something which may still be wet.

The best I would think would be to put them in a dish of rice and wait for them to dry out fully.

I wonder if dampness crystals would be even better. It's a crystal you buy for treating damp areas in your home. It's sucks the moisture out of the air.

Otherwise I'm afraid you'll need to buy another pair.

OP
B

BlackOropher26

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've never heard of that method, so can't comment. Have they dried out fully? I don't know if they would already be damaged beyond repair and it's not a good idea to use something which may still be wet. The best I would think would be to put them in a dish of rice and wait for them to dry out fully. I wonder if dampness crystals would be even better. It's a crystal you buy for treating damp areas in your home. It's sucks the moisture out of the air. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll need to buy another pair.
I just checked to see if it will work..and it did. the dry rice remedy worked i just have to blow lthe other one though.It only took me overnight

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked to see if it will work..and it did. the dry rice remedy worked i just have to blow lthe other one though.It only took me overnight dde0a

Good to hear......lol.....just realised that's what you meant in the first place! 'dryr ice' dry rice not dry ice.

Better than having to buy another set, that's for sure!! ;)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just checked to see if it will work..and it did. the dry rice remedy worked i just have to blow lthe other one though.It only took me overnight 

Well, whether 'dry rice' works to remove moisture from the air has been debated for years - a discussion HERE might be of interest; for myself I would rely on 'desiccants' (I'm a woodworker w/ a lot of expensive steel hand tools, like planes - keep them in a protective sock w/ a couple of small packs of desiccants inside - really has prevented rusting). In the link, desiccant bags can be purchased online which might help.

But let us know how the earbuds sound - depending on their construction the sound may still not be as before? Don't know but good luck! :) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts