What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to enable voice control on your iPad

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MAC

Make sure you have afc2add installed from cydia or rock. SSH into your device or use your favorite USB browser.

1. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
  2. Open K48AP.plist in a text editor or a plist editor
  3. Under the capabilities area add the following key:
    <key>voice-control</key>
    <true/>

4. Reboot your iPad and enjoy Voice Control!

Windows

1. For Windows users, you’ll need a software like WINSCP and for Mac you can use Cyberduck.
  2. Install OpenSSH on your iPad using Cydia. Open up Cydia and search for it. You’ll have to restart your iPad after that.
  3. Now use the following settings to log into your iPad: IP address of your iPad and user name: root and password: alpine and protocol: SCP
  4. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
  5. Open K48AP.plist in a text editor or a plist editor
  6. Under the capabilities area add the following key:
    <key>voice-control</key>
    <true/>

7. Reboot your iPad and enjoy Voice Control!
Attempt at your own risk

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, good finding!

BUT this is for advanced users only !!!!

@Sonny

I asume it will work same as the 3GS and does support all availlable languages?

Last edited:

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried this. It works!! Ha. Who knew.

I'm using the backgrounder on the home button, so i have to press the home button for like 3-4s to activate it (looong time). I'm trying to use activator now to change this, but it does not seem to work. Do I need to respring? I try rebooting, lock screen, swipe from bottom of the screen to activate voice, but it didn't work.

I'm going to assign something else to backgrounder instead and use home button for now.

'm using the backgrounder on the home button, so i have to press the home button for like 3-4s to activate it (looong time). I'm trying to use activator now to change this, but it does not seem to work. Do I need to respring? I try rebooting, lock screen, swipe from bottom of the screen to activate voice, but it didn't work.

I'm going to assign something else to backgrounder instead and use home button for now.

This works even if the iPad is in a sleep state (locked). Just press home button and it will turn on a blue screen displaying some possible commands. Wait for the beep and speak. Great as far as it goes.

No Nav or app control though. Why not, Apple?

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're kidding? I think it works pretty good. Play artist xxx can be complicated, specially if you have odd names in your library (tiesto, husker du, I can't even type them on the iPad right now...). But play/pause/next, never missed once so far. Play playlist ... Also no problems...

If you plan to use your iPad in a car, this is a must have.

SPC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The hack works perfect! Thanks for the tip.

I do agree that the voice recognition is spotty at best.
Google voice and Dragon Dictation on the other hand work perfect on the pad. I can rattle off a small paragraph with very few mistakes.

Had to pronounce Jamie - jammy for it to play.

biigsis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sonny, I am in a quandary - somehow voice command was enabled and now I can not access my iPad. I need a non-verbal form of disabling that option as I do not have vocal chords and it doesn't understand my electronic speech aid. Thanking you, in advance, biigsis

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Sonny, I am in a quandary - somehow voice command was enabled and now I can not access my iPad. I need a non-verbal form of disabling that option as I do not have vocal chords and it doesn't understand my electronic speech aid. Thanking you, in advance, biigsis

I don't understand your question - could you clarify? This thread was for people back in 2010 to use voice control on their jail broken iPads.

Now, we have Siri - and she's activated by pressing and holding the Home button to activate [so you can ask questions and such].

Regardless, to disable Siri/voice control, go to your Settings app (the gear icon). Then, locate and tap on the "General" tab. After it opens, locate the line titled "Siri" and tap on it. Once the tab opens, tap on the button at the top to turn Siri OFF.

Hopefully, that'll solve your issue. If not, holler back and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts