What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to download files?

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't find any information on downloading files with an iPad. Could it be that this is not possible at all?

For example: I frequently scan the new updates on macupdate.com, also with my iPad3. When I see an interersting (Mac OS X) program there I would like to be able to download the file directly with my iPad.

How can I do such a download to my iPad and how do I get the file than over to my Mac?

Or, even better, how can I do such a download directly to my Mac or to Dropbox or to Whatever-Makes-Sense?

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using Safari, I'm not sure you can do that. But with Atomic Browser, you can download a file, and then save it to Dropbox.

Tom

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another good option is iCab Mobile, which again allows you to download files and transfer your downloads to Dropbox.

OP
N

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I found how to do it with Atomic - which is my main browser anyway.

How do people usually find things like this out? I'm often wondering about the lack of in-depth instructions for the iPad and for basically all apps. I know that Apple has no interest in users having control over Apple devices or Apple apps (the changes to Mac OS X over the last years and iOS as such make that very clear). But why think also almost all app makers that instructions are not necessary?

One more question: Atomic shows me the location of my downloads as "Documents". Can I look at this folder (or whatever it is) directly somewhere on my iPad?

Last edited:
OP
N

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I played a little with iCab Mobile and start to like it more and more. Downloads work also great with iCab Mobile.

Thanks again,
neartheredrocks

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I download files directly into the filebrowser app.
From there i upload it to my Network Harddrive.

titote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I'm a little confused about the atomic web browser download folder documents, this is so confusing cause there is nothing there.
Where is it downloading stuff to? Or maybe it look like it was downloading but did nothing, I hope, cause I can't find anything. On the mac pro it downloads everything to the download folder - simple.

OP
N

neartheredrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... confused about the atomic web browser download folder documents, this is so confusing cause there is nothing there.

This is confusing - because we are used to a "usable" file system as we know it from Mac OS X, and there is no such thing on the iPad (and all other iOS devices). It is even more confusing because neither the iPad nor most apps have reasonable manuals. The makers of these things - especially Apple - don't want you to ask questions, instead you are supposed to just click onto colorful icons and be happy. However, with the help of a forum like this one it is possible to gain more and more control over an iPad.

Where is it downloading stuff to? Or maybe it look like it was downloading but did nothing ...

I don't know either where exactly (in which "Folder") Atomic Web puts downloads (no usable file system - see above) but I know that downloads are visible in the Downloads window of Atomic Web. If nothing is there, nothing has been downloaded.

If you want to test downloading, go i. e. to macupdate.com, choose any application, and click onto the "Download Now" button. A window will pop up saying that the file xxx cannot be displayed and whether you want to download it instead. Click OK and the file will get download and be visible in the Downloads window. If you then click onto the file you get presented with a couple of options, one of them being to upload the file to Dropbox. Uploading to Dropbox, of course, requires a Dropbox account and the linking of Atomic Web to this account (which can be done in the Atomic Web preferences). After you have done this successfully once or twice it becomes as simple as downloading something on a Mac.

By the way - also Mac OS X is moving more and more away from a usable file system and to nothing but clickable icons. The beginning can be seen in OS X 10.7 where the hard drive is not any more by default seen on the Desktop and where the Library folder is hidden. I don't like it but for many new and many not so deeply interested users this might be a good thing.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has already hidden all the Unixy folders on the Mac since Mac OS X 1.0. As on topic, downloading a file using Safari requires another "Files" app such as FileApp to be installed. From there you can transfer it to your computer.

Sent from K48

titote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay I did get atomic web browser to download a picture file .pnc but not my banks quicken Qfx file (to load into my budget application).

I guess it just can't download some files -although it sure looks like it's trying to.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I just use screens and make my mac do the work.
That and streaming are why it's never switched off.

54 gb used on the iPad leaves little room and I suspect that pushing it close to the max will reduce performance.

NB one of the great advantages of iCab is you can set it to emulate desktop browsers and avoid those nasty little mobile pages some sites serve up.

corar57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always like to remind folks of two things when these complaints come up. First, your iPad is not a computer. It is a whole different beast. Sure there are ways it can be optimized and used as a computer, but really it is a totally different beast, which IMO is fantastic. It has certainly changed the way I approach many things and it seems to have unending creative uses. So I understand the frustration when you don't have all of the features that your computer handles seamlessly, and maybe some of these things will come in due time, but try not to be too frustrated if you have to fight with it a little to perform these tasks.

Second regarding there not being a manual. This is very Apple, but it's not neccessarily because they want you to just open the box and push on the brightly colored icons. First, if you are a manual kind of person, there is more information than any manual would ever provide. After all, many folks spent years yelling the manuals for devices becuause they didn't solve the problem. Apple should be credited with making "plug and play" and not, open box, spend hours reading manual, installing software and still not understand anything about your computer. Apple has always believed in making a user-friendly product and has distinguished itself that way. The first imac in 1998 was plug and play whereas other computers and other electronics are still trying to figure this out in some cases. Part of this mentality is, IMO, a belief that the user is going to have a better experience in terms of how to maximize their product to be individualized to it's user, and have a better chance of knowing what to try in terms of troubleshooting if they have to learn about it more organically, logically, and not based on a poorly written manual. Then the device really becomes customized from the moment it leaves the box and part of Apple's overall business model. And apparently it's working for them!

That said, as with any new electronic there will be times you need advice, and there is a TON out there. I think what folks have said here is pretty solid advice depending on what you are needing to download. Again I remind you, the iPad is not a computer. That said, it is possible to outfit it with some of the apps mentioned above and make it a bit more like a computer in terms of word processing, etc. I thought I would just throw in some really easy tips for more basic downloads that may be helpful in addition to some the apps above.

First, with many things there may be a way to email the documents to yourself making it a snap to access whatever the document is usually using one of the reader programs to store it and access it that way. Example- my bank account doesn't make it easy for me to export my statement data onto an iPad, but I can have the data emailed it to the address i have attached to my iPad inbox. Then simply open the attachment into goodreader I also screen shot things quite often. This isn't as helfpul for data but is great for things like charts or graphs, and great for business travel- I just screen shot my reservation or car rental info and can email it to the family. Otherwise, play around with these apps and I thik'you'll find a good set that works for you! GL,

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The manual is available online. Just click on the link in my signature to get your free copy.

Most reactions

Latest posts