What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to backup old ipad 2 and restore to new ipad 2 ?

keevill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2 (16 GB ) and I am going to acquire a new ipad 2 ( 64 GB ).
I want to transfer all the content inc apps to the new machine.
I usually don't use Itunes except for the mandatory initial activation of the ipad.
What's the most painless way to do this ? I am scared that I will delete the contents of the old ipad.
I always install the apps directly to the ipad and don't use Itunes to acquire them.
I guess I just want a 'backup ipad' button somewhere and then 'restore ( new ) ipad ' .
Possible using Itunes or should I look for a different software ?
Thx,
-keevill-

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our most experienced and helpful posters, twerppoet, wrote this (and he's on line now!!)

-----------

In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should bje able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.

--------------

Tim

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just backed up my old one, then plugged in my new one and was prompted to either register as a new iPad or back up as the old one. I chose the latter, and all my stuff end up on the new one, too. I just changed its name.

I've done that with three iPads, which are still in use. It just doesn't work if you're going from more GBs to fewer, unless all your content is small enough to fit on the one with fewer GBs.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I found this more complete and Apple approved proccess to make sure you've saved/synced all your important stuff off the old iPad. It covers some side issues worth thinking about.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

You will want to hold off on the Restore part until you are sure your new iPad is set up correctly. As long as you have not done anything permanent to it, you can always start over.

Here is a second article about Transfering to a new iPhone. It is close enough to follow. Where it talks about backing up your old iPhone first, I recommend using the previos article. It is more complete (paranoid) than the article linked in this page. Though that article is well worth reading, as it will give you a good idea of what's happening.

iPhone: Transferring information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone

And finally, if you really want to know what is going on, read this article. It will give you teh background you need to understand what each step saves, and/or does not save.

iPad: About backups

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of our most experienced and helpful posters, twerppoet, wrote this (and he's on line now!!)

Was, by the time you read this I'm officialy off line for the night and heading to bed. (Yawn!) Your day on the other hand is just beginning. Hope it's a great one.

night.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please post this in QA and stick it thanks

I found this more complete and Apple approved proccess to make sure you've saved/synced all your important stuff off the old iPad. It covers some side issues worth thinking about.

How to back up your data and set up as a new device

You will want to hold off on the Restore part until you are sure your new iPad is set up correctly. As long as you have not done anything permanent to it, you can always start over.

Here is a second article about Transfering to a new iPhone. It is close enough to follow. Where it talks about backing up your old iPhone first, I recommend using the previos article. It is more complete (paranoid) than the article linked in this page. Though that article is well worth reading, as it will give you a good idea of what's happening.

iPhone: Transferring information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone

And finally, if you really want to know what is going on, read this article. It will give you teh background you need to understand what each step saves, and/or does not save.

iPad: About backups
Please post this in Q&a and stick it thanks col

Most reactions

Latest posts