What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much RAM

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will the iPad 4 continue tradition of doubling amount of ram. 1 had 256MB 2 had 512MB 3 had 1GB. Apple never releases RAM so usually we need to wait for a tech article to bit and dissect. If it does have 2GB then windows and androids are doomed and power users can finally have a robust iPad

dvboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GOOD question,very curious to see what it has,something tells me it will still be 1GB,otherwise Apple would have announced it.Hope I am wrong,as I will be purchasing one when available.

Jachrist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw somewhere today where someone said it was a 1.3ghz...

I'll look for the link

OP
C

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay finally got specs: 1GB LPDDR2 RAM. Plus twice the CPU performance and twice the graphics performance over ipad3 due to ARM cortex A15 Eagle engine
Charm

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay finally got specs: 1GB LPDDR2 RAM. Plus twice the CPU performance and twice the graphics performance over ipad3 due to ARM cortex A15 Eagle engine
Charm

Where did you get this RAM spec? It hasn't streeted yet so how can anyone know for sure?

OP
C

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elementary my dear AQ
Apple announced the ipad4 will use it's A6 Extreme (A6X) processor which is the same one in the iPhone 5. Both chip works and fix it have broken down this new A6 so those are the specs I gave. Granted their could be clock speed differences ( the 1.5 GHz figure posted on this thread by a victim of Apple's successful campaign to eliminate any understanding of RAM and conflate memory with storage ) that only a breakdown can prove. But it can't be the 2 GB some hoped for.
With the new memory management of IOS6 , the 1 GB will still deliver a great experience.
Charm

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Elementary my dear AQ
Apple announced the ipad4 will use it's A6 Extreme (A6X) processor which is the same one in the iPhone 5. Both chip works and fix it have broken down this new A6 so those are the specs I gave. Granted their could be clock speed differences ( the 1.5 GHz figure posted on this thread by a victim of Apple's successful campaign to eliminate any understanding of RAM and conflate memory with storage ) that only a breakdown can prove. But it can't be the 2 GB some hoped for.
With the new memory management of IOS6 , the 1 GB will still deliver a great experience.
Charm

Glad it's elementary for someone. :eek:
I must have gone to the wrong school.....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Charm

That seems a little contradictory. In your opening post stated - "If it does have 2GB then .... power users can finally have a robust iPad".

As something of a power user myself, I don't recognise that I do not currently own a robust iPad (and I own them all). Nor do I recognise that IOS memory management has taken a significant step up in efficiency from IOS5 to IOS6 (I am also an IOS developer, and therefore some level of experience on which to base my opinion).

Apple announced the ipad4 will use it's A6 Extreme (A6X) processor which is the same one in the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 runs on the A6, not the A6X. Different processors based on the same architecture family. You cannot simply make the statement that they are the "same", unless there is a little conflation going on at your end...

Granted their could be clock speed differences ( the 1.5 GHz figure posted on this thread by a victim of Apple's successful campaign to eliminate any understanding of RAM and conflate memory with storage ) that only a breakdown can prove.

It's pretty obvious there MUST be clock speed differences. Otherwise Apples claims relating to performance simply could not be achieved. I certainly wouldn't go against Ars Technica's logic until we get a device torn down and analysed - Deducing details about Apple’s A6X processor | Ars Technica ;)

OP
C

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The breakdown will show who knows what here. Plus I never said iOS 6 managed memory better. If it did the we iPad 1 users could get it. Ios6 locks up even more RAM.
I have no quarrel with ars tech just waiting for a breakdown but I will stand by my prediction of 1GB As for robust power user, guess we have different definitions I saw how heated the RAM discussion on macrumors forum got with uncivil postings on the need for a minimum of 1GB and don,t intend to repeat the good points or elicit the flames
Reasonable people can disagree without being disagreeable. When my prediction is validated, you may wish to reevaluate your opinions. No point in arguing
You do a good job in keeping this forum civil and I can easily wait a few weeks to be proven correct or else confess error
Charm

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y is spot on. Just vetted Ars Technical analsys. Their assumptions and extrapolations are well within the bounds of both reason and technical capabilities.

And 2GB of RAM would be a waste of time and battery life. iOS already has one of the best memory managers for application load and unloading I have seen. Of course using an Unix based OS that has been around for decades helps ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Elementary my dear AQ
Charm

Not arguing your logic, but your post says you "finally got specs" and I asked from where you got them. Turns out you are just guessing. If you guess, say so and give you logic. It is not proper behavior to give the impression that you found the actual specs some place when you did not. Some would even call that lying.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The breakdown will show who knows what here. Plus I never said iOS 6 managed memory better. If it did the we iPad 1 users could get it. Ios6 locks up even more RAM.
I have no quarrel with ars tech just waiting for a breakdown but I will stand by my prediction of 1GB As for robust power user, guess we have different definitions I saw how heated the RAM discussion on macrumors forum got with uncivil postings on the need for a minimum of 1GB and don,t intend to repeat the good points or elicit the flames
Reasonable people can disagree without being disagreeable. When my prediction is validated, you may wish to reevaluate your opinions. No point in arguing
You do a good job in keeping this forum civil and I can easily wait a few weeks to be proven correct or else confess error
Charm

Where to start? Oh, right here....

If it did the we iPad 1 users could get it

Sorry. You apparently don't understand the nature of how applications run in iOS. Because the iPad 1s issue has to do with the APPLICATION size not the OS size or capabilities. A brief primer on the subject to bring you up to speed.

An application under iOS, under most design conditions, loads almost everything into memory when possible. The reason for that is to minimize battery usage. Every time the OS has to go from the disk to RAM it wastes battery power. So if the application size is over 256 megabytes, that means there will be a ton of paging going on that is doing nothing more than eating battery. So if we take into account that the iOS core has to be in memory, that means we are already dealing with less memory and more paging. That is why the iPad 1 had to be shelved for future iOS upgrades. It was simply under powered for the explosion of apps that were to come. Heck you would be better of blaming the iPad users hunger for better apps than blaming Apple.

stand by my prediction of 1GB

Can't blame you for that one. 1GB already has a huge power requirement. Going to 2GB has little benefit to the current iOS or applications on the market and would require even more power.

Most reactions

Latest posts