What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much data is used for GPS

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be purchasing my iPad 2 this coming weekend and plan to get the wifi-3g model with the AT&T network. I will only be using 3g while traveling but not sure how much data to purchase, 250 mb or 2g. There may be times when I will want to use GPS. But, mostly it will be used when no wifi is available while driving or staying in hotel with no free wifi.
Does using GPS use up a lot of data for a 10-12 hour trip? Would 250 mb be enough for both GPS and web surfing and email?
I have not been able to find that information if it has been previosly posted.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS, per se, uses no data at all. It's the downloading of the maps that uses data. There are several apps out there that can download the maps in advance of a trip - from your home network - so you'll then use no data at all when you're out-and-about using GPS.

Tim

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! I am really glad to hear that the gps uses no data, and I will be sure to download my maps ahead of time.

So, I am thinking that the 250 mb would be ok for my use while 'on the road'.

I am so looking forward to getting my iPad. I spent many weeks reading about, and playing with various tablets, and I feel confident that I have made the right choice for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely, 250 MB should be fine, unless you're planning to download a lot of photos or large documents.

Tim

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, for the quick response and answer to my questions. This problem has been solved!:)

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim, may I say that you're awesome. I come here to learn all I can about my iPad and to solve issues and your advice and answers to questions are great. You must be Superman or have no job :D because it seems that no one can beat you to the punch. Good work, buddy.

Wayne

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Somerled. I will definitely look into that. I assume that the maps are current and up to date?

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Super! We have a garmin that my husband and I use when we take road trips, but sometimes we are going to separate places and I would like to have my own system. Also, Since I am usually the 'navigator', I thought it would be nice to use the iPad's larger screen. I am looking forward to getting my ipad and getting all these great apps loaded.

Thanks everyone for all the information and advice.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are apps like Navigon (which was just acquired by Garmin) where you can d/l the entire map when you first purchase the app and then only have to d/l again when an update comes out. i really enjoy the Navigon on the iPad I have a Garmin that I bought before I got the iPad and the app is easily as feature rich and looks awesome on the "big screen".

OP
Elliern

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info on navigon. Will have to check that out as well. Great information, everyone. It has been a great help.
Gotta love these forums.

DiddleMeSweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elliern said:
I will be purchasing my iPad 2 this coming weekend and plan to get the wifi-3g model with the AT&T network. I will only be using 3g while traveling but not sure how much data to purchase, 250 mb or 2g. There may be times when I will want to use GPS. But, mostly it will be used when no wifi is available while driving or staying in hotel with no free wifi.
Does using GPS use up a lot of data for a 10-12 hour trip? Would 250 mb be enough for both GPS and web surfing and email?
I have not been able to find that information if it has been previosly posted.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

@@

killercatfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you get a GPS app like MotionX GPS Drive, you can download your maps via WIFI before hitting the road. That way, you never even have to turn on 3G.

If I get an iPad 2 3G from apple, I never have to buy 3g service, and the motionx will work just fine?

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3G with no data pan and I use the Navigon App, it works great no plan is required.

Most reactions

Latest posts