What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many 3G iPads will sell in the first day?

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today it is reported there are already over 600,000 WiFi models out there in less than a week.

Any guesses anyone? How many 3G models will sell in the same timeframe?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something gives me the feeling it initially won't be as high as the wifi model. Other than early adopters (raises hand) I see people waiting for feedback as to how the data service really works and if it's worth the premium over the wifi unit. With the advent of tethering from phones or "myfi" they may not want to shell out the bucks. I think the wifi model was an easier sell particularly for people who wanted it for home/hotspot use.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know. I believe less since people are giving a bunch of reviews on this devise. I've seen a few and it doesn't look good.

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen any reviews for the 3G model. Can you post links to some?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since AT&T is the only provider I would say not nearly as many as the WiFi...also with WiFi tethering becoming so popular I say quite a bit less....maybe that's why the 3G attachment is so expensive to make up for lost revenue. My other question about the 3G model is what happens next year when LTE rolls out? Will Apple replace your 3G with a 4G model or will you have to shell out another $800?

OP
dennis

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since AT&T is the only provider I would say not nearly as many as the WiFi...also with WiFi tethering becoming so popular I say quite a bit less....maybe that's why the 3G attachment is so expensive to make up for lost revenue. My other question about the 3G model is what happens next year when LTE rolls out? Will Apple replace your 3G with a 4G model or will you have to shell out another $800?

I'm assuming Apple would be more than happy to have us buy a 4G model. :(

My plan was/is to get the 3G iPad now, and use it for convenient Internet access while almost anywhere for about a year, and then next year I would get a 4G phone and tether my 3G iPad to my 4G phone then.

I'm just one of those guys who really is mobile a lot for work, and constant Internet access is pretty crucial. However I get it, I need my iPad to have access as much as possible while on the go.

Maybe I am incorrect in assuming there are many others out there like me.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm assuming Apple would be more than happy to have us buy a 4G model. :(

My plan was/is to get the 3G iPad now, and use it for convenient Internet access while almost anywhere for about a year, and then next year I would get a 4G phone and tether my 3G iPad to my 4G phone then.

I'm just one of those guys who really is mobile a lot for work, and constant Internet access is pretty crucial. However I get it, I need my iPad to have access as much as possible while on the go.

Maybe I am incorrect in assuming there are many others out there like me.

Im sure there are plenty of people like you, unfortunately I think there are also a lot of people with portable wifi (mifi) routers and also current phones that can tether.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My guess is that LTE is still pretty far away so the initial 3G investment will hold for a while. At least until the 2nd generation ipad comes out. By that time we should have many more choices in this market.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I have seen, there may be more market for the 3G. I would suspect that the 3G models will have just about the same or higher sales as the intro wifi models.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I have seen, there may be more market for the 3G. I would suspect that the 3G models will have just about the same or higher sales as the intro wifi models.

Currently 3G is selling in quantities less than wifi only iPads.

IMHO 3G is still a no brainer especially after today. VOIP will make the 3G iPad feasible as an alternative phone after the 4.0 update. Also the enhanced feaures for position built into the 4.0 OS will only work with a 3G connection on the iPhone or iPad.

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Man, what a horrible thought. I did not think of 4G making 3G possibly obsolete. It would really suck to buy this and in one year 4G is available everywhere. I am still going to buy it anyway. Just have to closely monitor the market and ebay this puppy as soon as the 4G model hits.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Man, what a horrible thought. I did not think of 4G making 3G possibly obsolete. It would really suck to buy this and in one year 4G is available everywhere. I am still going to buy it anyway. Just have to closely monitor the market and ebay this puppy as soon as the 4G model hits.

I guarantee 4G will not be available everywhere in one year. They can barely keep 3G available everywhere right now. AT&T is investing over $1billion just to strengthen the current infrastructure. Don't worry about 4G it's just alot of hype for now. Enjoy what we have. Don't make it easy for the machine to sell you what you can't even use yet.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would be curious to see the pre-sales numbers for the 3G models. When they do come out in the US it will probably be around 100K to 125K on the first day(including pre-orders). All of the Fan Boys got their taste with the WiFi version already.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that a lot of people, wanted to see how the iPad fared in the public intro. When they do stock the the 3G models, odds are good that a large number of people will pop up to buy one.

Most reactions

Latest posts