What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it to charge ipad3? Do I have a problem?

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was wondering. iPhone 4 charges upto 100% in few hours. iPad 3 charges 7-8% per hour. So from 0 to 100% takes 14 hours to charge the battery. Is this normal?

Device has been in use for about 2 months.

Like right now as typing this and plugged into wall, charge dropping (3% so far). So in conclusion wifi connection taking more power then the wall outlet can provide?

Someone please give me answer before I complain to store that sold me this. Or is this normal?

Kinda understandable as if battery life 10 hrs and 14 hrs to charge it makes exatly hrs in a day.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Antsu said:
Was wondering. iPhone 4 charges upto 100% in few hours. iPad 3 charges 7-8% per hour. So from 0 to 100% takes 14 hours to charge the battery. Is this normal?

Device has been in use for about 2 months.

Like right now as typing this and plugged into wall, charge dropping (3% so far). So in conclusion wifi connection taking more power then the wall outlet can provide?

Someone please give me answer before I complain to store that sold me this. Or is this normal?

Kinda understandable as if battery life 10 hrs and 14 hrs to charge it makes exatly hrs in a day.

Are you using the charger that came with your iPad or your iPhone charger? An iPhone charger will take a long time to charge an iPad and your iPad may lose charge if you try to use it at the same time.

If you are using the iPad charger, 14 hours is too long for a normal full charge. In this case, you may want to have it checked out at an Apple store as it's still under warranty.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, make sure you are using the charger block that came with your ipad(should be a 10 watt charger, might not say iPad on it though). Mine takes about 5 hours to charge from flat to 100%. I have a 3 that is a little over 2 months old. My iPad 2 was faster to charge at about 3 hours.
My 3, I just use throughout the day and overnight charge it. That way it's long charge doesn't cause me grief.

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Using the iPad plug. Also if connect to iTunes on pc iPad says that not charging. iPhone does charge if connected to pc. Should iPad do the same? Or is pc voltage too litlle to charge iPad ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Antsu said:
Yes. Using the iPad plug. Also if connect to iTunes on pc iPad says that not charging. iPhone does charge if connected to pc. Should iPad do the same? Or is pc voltage too litlle to charge iPad ?

The iPad will charge very slowly if connected to the USB socket on a computer. Most USB sockets do not supply enough power to do more than trickle charge an iPad while it's turned off.

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, but says that NOT charging at all. Replacing the battery icon on top... ITunes works ok so not wire. And also iPhone works + charges.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Antsu said:
Yeah, but says that NOT charging at all. Replacing the battery icon on top... ITunes works ok so not wire. And also iPhone works + charges.

Even though it says not charging, it's actually charging very slowly.

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. Thought that it could be related to long charging time via wall plug. As above mentioned take 5 hrs to charge. This take 14 hrs. Shall call to shop that bought this from.

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind the major differences in the batteries between the iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad 3.

iPhone 4 Battery: 5.25 Wh (1,420 mAh)
iPad 2 Battery: 25 Wh (6,579 mAh)
iPad 3 Battery: 42.5 Wh (11,560 mAh)

The larger the battery, the longer it will take to charge.

Bacardi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try changing the cable from the charger to the USB. I had a similar problem, and changing my cable helped.

Most reactions

Latest posts