What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to back up your iPad?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's just say that it is PAINFULLY SLOW!!!!!

My biggest complaint with the device.

You've got to have a ton of 'everything' on your iPad.. Video will consume a lot and music coming in second.. As in any device, if your using a lot of memory and storage expect back ups to slow drastically.

Steve220

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too had very long backup/synch times. After a little research, I found that some memory card readers can cause this. I have an HP printer with a built in card reader attached to my computer. After disabling this device, my synch times decreased to 'normal'.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
The backup performance is completely unacceptable and I hope Apple can come up with a fix.
Well... if I (and apparently several others) can do a total sync - including backup - in just a few minutes and yours takes 30 hours, and considering we are running (for all intents and purposes) identical iPads, then the problem sounds like it might possibly be something on your end and may not be something Apple can fix.

Possibly, but not necessarily. And because there are so many complaints, also unlikely. Do realise that even if your iPad and mine may seem identical, they are not. I use different apps and different settings, and just one little setting may be the cause. For example: perhaps you use POP email settings while I use IMAP. If IMAP is what causes these long backups, I will see the problem and you won't. There are plenty of other possibilities like that.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just did the 3.2.1 upgrade.

The required backup took over 30 HOURS (!) but the update went smoothly.

My iPad is a 64 gByte Wifi model with around 12 gBytes free. The PC used with iTunes is an older dual-core Pentium with 4 gBytes RAM and around 175 gBytes free disc space on the system/iTunes drive.

The backup performance is completely unacceptable and I hope Apple can come up with a fix. I could copy the entire contents of a 1.5TB drive via USB in a few hours, so 52 gBytes should be less than an hour even allowing for data compression.

LH

LH

Issues with back up can be the following
1 type of computer you are using and OS
2 a corrupt file which is causing it to slow down may be problem ie music, movie,pict
From my experience with many users
in most cases back up took 10 to 15 mins after first back up has been completed. 30 hours indicates a problem with hardware or files. Mike may suggest something you can do but you could try on a different computer unfortunately older pcs can also have issues with USB ports We have found just changing ports can affect back ip time and syncing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have around 48GB of videos, music, data and apps and it takes 11 minutes to backup. Try finding your backup file in iTunes, deleting it and then backing up again from scratch. I recall doing this some time ago when I had problems with long backups on my iPhone and it seemed to do the trick.

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem a day or two ago,took forever and my wife only has 4 games on her ipad,today no problems when I was loading it up with music. I think its Itunes,slow and overloaded.

Al.

grumble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far my I pad has taken over 18 hours

I'm wondering if it is possible to back up in bits? The time this is taking is ridiculous and this is the 4th time I've tried to install the latest o/s update. The other times seemed even slower so I gave up each time. So far this time round 19 hours and it looks like it has about 12 hours worth to go if the indicator is accurate.

Question has been raised that this is something on the users machine. I don't think so as my iphone backup worked well then suddenly stopped backing up when I updated itunes. (9.0.1?) That was the only change at the time. After that it wasn't worth doing a backup until I had to update the phone's software to v4. Since updating the phone to v4 it seems to be backing up in about 2 mins.

I tried all the suggestions for the iphone but none worked. I'm assuming they won't work for the ipad including the one to delete the backup and start again. I tried that with no luck.

Of course Apple don't care much about people who have bought ipads, only about those who are going to buy one.

Because of the problems I've had, at least two people I know haven't bought an Ipad yet. Fairly certain one of them now won't buy one until the next hardware version.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's odd as my 64Gb iPad now takes roughly the same time to back up as my 32Gb iPhone does. I experienced a couple of slow updates earlier in the week, but since the last itunes update a couple of days ago it has been fine.

OutdoorsNerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My answer is.....

The back up process is wack. The long back up is due to the applications and the associated media.

It has nothing to do with content such as itune music, these are already on your PC/Mac.

I deleted a couple of apps that had gigs worth of comics and videos and the synch speeded right up. I shouldnt have to do this though, not if the back up performed properly. :mad:

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've started a new thread called "slow back" in case it helps peeps.

nthnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I've downloaded an insane number of new apps or whatever, my sync usually goes very quickly.

ProfGAH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have there head in the sand

Once a month my iPad backup takes 16 or more hours; imbetween it may take 1 hour or less.

I have tried deleting photos and deleting most of my files but to no avail. In contrast my iPhone4 (and previous iPhone3) running mostly the same apps takes a few mins. This has to relate to iPAD apps or something similar like IPAD related docs (related to app) as needs to be iPAD specific as no one has same problem with iPhone.

As usual apple bury their head and one day their arrogance will be repaid by users such as us deserting them. The iPAD is brilliant but a rival will appear and we may well desert.

What is the solution that works

Most reactions

Latest posts