What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up multiple IPads

njorange

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My kids each have an Ipad and I want to back them up to upgrade the operating system. I know very little about the Ipad but reading it looks like I sync the Ipad to a computer to save the apps (and hopefully the pictures too). I did that for one Ipad and I think it worked. Now if I do this for the second Ipad won't it merge with the backup already on my computer. How do I back up 2 Ipads on one computer?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
njorange said:
My kids each have an Ipad and I want to back them up to upgrade the operating system. I know very little about the Ipad but reading it looks like I sync the Ipad to a computer to save the apps (and hopefully the pictures too). I did that for one Ipad and I think it worked. Now if I do this for the second Ipad won't it merge with the backup already on my computer. How do I back up 2 Ipads on one computer?

Hello njorange. Welcome to the Forum! When you get a chance, go to the new members forum and introduce yourself. Take a little bit more time and read forum tips and tricks sticky and the forum rules sticky.

In order to keep two iPads from backing up onto each other, each iPad should be differently named, for example Mike's iPad (for the first one) and Bobby's iPad (for the second one). Go to settings app on each iPad. Go to General, go to About, go to Name.

Since you backed up one iPad, you will want to back up both iPads with their specific names. Easier to keep track of each backup and which one you completed!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Hello njorange. Welcome to the Forum! When you get a chance, go to the new members forum and introduce yourself. Take a little bit more time and read forum tips and tricks sticky and the forum rules sticky.

In order to keep two iPads from backing up onto each other, each iPad should be differently named, for example Mike's iPad (for the first one) and Bobby's iPad (for the second one). Go to settings app on each iPad. Go to General, go to About, go to Name.

Since you backed up one iPad, you will want to back up both iPads with their specific names. Easier to keep track of each backup and which one you completed!

Ditto. This is exactly how my daughter and I keep our stuff separated and backed up. Just name them differently and when you plug one in iTunes knows which one it is and what apps are on what device. Never a problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts