What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography workflow with iPad

Ltlbkofjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just purchased an iPad 3 mainly for use in my photography work and was wondering if anybody was able to offer any advice on how I can do what I am trying to achieve.

I currently shoot photos with a DSLR in raw+jpeg mode and was hoping to import these photos to my iPad on the road with the camera connection kit, doing some minor editing (changing orientation, cropping etc) while on the road before I reimport back into adobe Lightroom for my main work.

For various reasons I did not want to use the stock photos app and I have hear good things about photomanager pro, which I have tried and I like it. However because it does not seem to be able to use the camera correction kit I have to import with the photos app then import them to photomanager pro, this in itself I can live with. However the biggest problem is once the photos are in photomanager pro and cropped etc I am having real difficulty getting them back to my computer. I have tried exporting them to photos, then importing to Lightroom, also tried downloading them to Lightroom via the in built FTP/http server, but they all end up in Lightroom as the original images (even though they have been renamed from NEF to either jpeg or tif) without any of the cropping/ sorting.

I would appreciate it if someone was able to offer some advice on how to do this preferably with photomanager pro or alternatively with another good app suggestion

Thanks james

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems like there should be a way to use Adobe Revel for this; but everything I read says it's one way. Lightroom to Revel.

OP
L

Ltlbkofjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes thats what I seem to find as well, it always only seems to be one way, plus at a monthly subscription cost it seems quite expensive for I think is quite a simple task which I would have thought would be quite a popular thing to do with an iPad, or maybe I am just mistaking what people are actually using their iPads for

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes thats what I seem to find as well, it always only seems to be one way, plus at a monthly subscription cost it seems quite expensive for I think is quite a simple task which I would have thought would be quite a popular thing to do with an iPad, or maybe I am just mistaking what people are actually using their iPads for

Well, there are a few more options when it comes to Aperture. Photo Stream works with Aperture (both ways if you want), and there is a third party app (can't remember the name) that will let you edit and organize using Aperture's metadata on the iPad.

Not that this does you any good. Even if you have a Mac, it's probably too much trouble to switch software just to get a couple of extra features on the iPad. ;)

Chileman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ltlbkofjim, did you get this resolved?

I have recently upgraded to Lightroom 4 and consequently now also have Photosmith App installed on my iPad. This does let me import my SLR pics onto my iPad (via the SD card dongle) and then tag them with keywords, rate them etc before then importing them into Lightoom on my PC.

However, I am stuck if I want to do any editing on my IPad, like you I have noticed that It's only the originals which seem to be exported.

So I think as a basic workflow for importing SLR shots onto your iPad, tagging them and then synching to Lightroom, Photosmith might be your answer.

I have a different, but related issue. I have thousands of photos which I would like to put onto the iPad for the purposes of editing and then exporting back to my desktop (I have a lot of commute time available to me hence the desire for this 'portable' solution). These pictures are already tagged with many keywords (Lightroom) and renamed. I experimented by trying the following:

- export a couple of pics to the IPad via the wireless app called Photsync
- edit the pics in iPhoto
- saved the edited pics back to the Photo Library
- copied them back to the desktop via the Photsync app

On examining the edited pics on my PC, it was noted that something along the way had removed all the keywords as well as renamed the files...not what I wanted at all.

Does anyone know of an app that would fit my workflow above, ie allow to edit imported, tagged pictures, then get them back to the PC with the tags and file name intact?

Apologies for the long winded question; just trying to make myself clear as to what I'm after.

Appreciate any advice you guys can give.
Cheers,
Gareth

d3nskja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for this thread.
I am absolutely newbie for this photography workflow on iPad and I've been searching for this kind of information.

Parapet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.parapetphotography.com
I think the limiting factor right now is the computing power of the ipad. It doesn't seem capable of supporting apps that do any serious RAW editing. Maybe the ipad 4 will enable the kind of apps we photographers really need?

Most reactions

Latest posts