What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does iPad stack up to competition?

Juraviel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does iPad stack up to the competition?

Hi. The reason im creating this topic is because when i've initially seen iPad commercial i got very, very excited like most of us here on the forums but i've also seen A LOT of hateful and negative comments and posts on this newest Apple product. I never had any device with functionalities comparable to these that iPad will have and i don't really know what to think about it, but large number of people on the web are critizing and literally ridicule out of the way in which iPad is going to work and look. They say that compared to smartphones and netbooks iPad looks really bad. And when i think of it well.. it's unique in the way it's done but looking objectively it lacks so many features similiar devices have, among which most despised are 1) no webcam 2) no multitasking 3) and no flash support. No expandable memory, no USB port, and probably several additional disadvantages. Now tell me guys why is that? Today i've also seen this almost 1.5h iPad presentation and im amazed of its capabilities, but at the same time i see all these people, meybe 60-70% of comments on the web full of critisism.. i was going to buy a 3G version with 32GB which would cost about 550euro, just same as HTC DS2 which has practically the same features plus much more.. well smaller screen and meybe less lasting battery are the it's only disadvantages compared to iPad.. So what do you think? Please be objective!

PS
I live in Italy so i won't rush to the store on the premier's day (as i probably would living in US lol) so willingly or unwillingly i will have the possibility to read some reviews before i get my hands on iPad but i still want to know, why do you think the iPad in so many people's eyes just commonly saying 'fails'.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The five most important reasons I've seen over the years for Apple hating are different from one another.

1). Apple represents a political threat to some, guess who...It still amazes me that such a reason should exist at all.

2). Some people are jealous because they've invested their word on some other product that Apple's outclassed.

3). Others say that there's a "I'm better than you Culture" about Apple supporters, that annoys them. So they boycot anything Apple.

4). Others, for the sake of liberty, invoke that Apple products are closed loops that takes their rights away (from piracy and hacking maybe?). Got news for them...

5). Apple products cost more than others and offer less.

If I took the time to enumerate the other reasons my conclusion would still be the same. Opponents will always find a reason to avoid Apple products that is not truly rational. It's only when you argue them to their last retreats that you find their true reason for opposition. All the rest is usually pretext. Those that bark the loudest are still the ones that were first in line to attend a keynote.

The iPad as an exception, has many former ennemies shifting it's way, not Apple's way. Much more than the iPhone...

The one fact that gathers all sides to Apple. It's that whatever Apple creates, everyone is curious to know what it's about and what can it do. That's the power innovation has on everyone... Curiosity!

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Van you clearly resume the situation .... the sentence of Apple is : Think different ... but this disturb many people , especially about the enormous success of the Iphone ..

recently i receive a phone call from friend, with who i have talked before about the Ipad, this day he his with is sister and her BF and they have fight about the interest of the Ipad as my friend don't know well as me he ask to explain to them the advantage and disadvantage of the device ..

they start to sue the same stupid criticize like this device is not useful at all is just a big Ipod ... my fist question be do you have an Ipod they say Yes of course .. so when i say will you like to have bigger screen, can write or read some word document, can see some powerpoint file , and i give other example

they say yes but no webcam, when i ask when is the last time you use you're web cam ... they keep silence but they finally say we have one in our notebook but we don't know how to use ...

and when they start about flash ... i say ok why you absolutely need flash they even don't know what is it , they think is necessary for the web . .. when i explain they finally say but why we read so many bad article about it

i don't reply i just ask why you criticize the Ipad they just reply we read many bad comment about it ... so i reply they made bad comment because they know you will read it ... they start to laugh and say, since he come out we will go to have a look and maybe buy one for use at home , that will be better than the Netbook we have ...

The media talk about Ipad because that bring audience, more than if the talk about the Kindle or the Sony reader ... and the mass people they like to read bashing

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. People are the same here too. When I ask them what they really do with their computers, 95% of what they do can be done on the iPad when it gets out...
That's reason enough to get one.

I held out on the iPod touch because I already have other iPods and that the screen is too small for me. The iPad is something more and part of it is promising to be better.

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think most of the criticisms are valid. The iPad does lack features that are common to every other device in it's price class. And Apple is a "control freak" of a company.

It would be nice to have the option of running flash. It would be nice to have a webcam. It would be nice to have a changeable battery/usb port/memory card slot.

As nice as the App Store is - it would be nice to be able to buy apps from anyone without having to "jail break" you phone. Has there ever been a computer before where the manufacturer got to approve every piece of software than ran on it?

However, Apple has done so much right -- that I will indeed be getting an iPad. I love my iphone and we have 3 ipod touches in the family.

The iPad won't be for everybody, just as everybody doesn't use a Mac or have an iphone. I would not buy an iPod as they are so much more expensive than I can get another mp3 player for. And I don't need itunes to manage my music. So the iPod wasn't for me.

Lee

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It just works this way

Remember getting that new wizbang top of the line Windows computer, it was fast and could run all the new stuff, and you download this and install that and a year later, it takes longer to do anything and it starts crashing and freezing and just not working very well.

You ever had your iPod Touch not work? ya when the battery was dead.
It does email, it does books, you can surf the web, and play games, look at pictures, watch a movie, it is portable and now it has a bigger screen.

If you want a computer that does more, they are out there for sale right now!!! buy one of them and quit complaining about what a worthless piece of silicon the iPad is.

I am buying a big iPod Touch because I know it will work just as well as my little iPod Touch.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember getting that new wizbang top of the line Windows computer, it was fast and could run all the new stuff, and you download this and install that and a year later, it takes longer to do anything and it starts crashing and freezing and just not working very well.

You ever had your iPod Touch not work? ya when the battery was dead.
It does email, it does books, you can surf the web, and play games, look at pictures, watch a movie, it is portable and now it has a bigger screen.

If you want a computer that does more, they are out there for sale right now!!! buy one of them and quit complaining about what a worthless piece of silicon the iPad is.

I am buying a big iPod Touch because I know it will work just as well as my little iPod Touch.
I crash my Nano every few months. Some times if it's slow to react I forget to wait for it to respond and punch in the command again. It crashes.

Maybe my music disturbs it...:p
Fusion has that effect on some people...

OP
J

Juraviel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea i've been reading some stuff about the iPad and there are few things that justify some of the 'deficiencies' that the iPad may have. First of all watch this guy's videos if you haven't yet, he explains inter alia that flash is not supported not because of economic cuts or the conflict of apple vs adobe, but because of this 'mouseover' thing which basically means that for example most of the games written in flash just couldn't work properly with the touchpad technology.. also i kinda 'discovered' something myself - no multitasking right? But i can open up to 9 tabs in the safari browser, which means that on one i can for example view whatever i want, on the second play radio or youtube video, and in third i would have oppened web version of msn messanger.. would that work? (probably not 'cause im not that smart to discover things that other people haven't before :D) Or will the iPad temporary arrest eventual 'activities' that the inactive tabs would perform untill the user gets back to them?

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other question you need to ask when looking at the comptition is "how good is the touch interface?" This has been showing up in a good number of other products. I strongly suggest you get a rubust hands on of any "touching" product you want before you buy. You don't want to get stuck using a styles on something that should work with just fingers.

Volume (level and amount) of bitching doesn't always illustrate the full picture.

1) No web cam, can and likely will be overcome by an external that connects to Apples multiconnection port.

2) Same with USB, is already avaliabe for connecting digtal cameras. Once you have hardware software can follow to use it for other things.

3) No flash, okay this is actually a fairly big deal from a near future perspective. Same with lack of Java for simliar reasons. There are also other issues regarding Multi-touch systems and various web interfaces in general, not just an iPad problem going forward. At least the iPad is being a plow blade and forcing the issues to the surface now.

jamaicaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of all the arguments for and against the ipad, what most exited me about this product was the implementation of apples touch technology on a 9.7 inch slate type device. The possibility of iwork and future developed applications is exiting along with it's existing features and not to mention the price. This device will be very popular eventually regardless of the critics. We already have cameras in our imacs, macbook's and macbook pros as for other features some may well be implemented at a later date. If you like the Ipad and you have the resources and feel it would suit your needs, then you should buy one regardless of what others think. I myself have owned 2 ipod classics and a ipod touch and also owned Iriver H120 back in the day.

Last edited:

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I crash my Nano every few months. Some times if it's slow to react I forget to wait for it to respond and punch in the command again. It crashes.

For those of using a Windows machine how many have gone "months " without crashing or freezing?

Some people may be able to get by without a desk top or lap top but not me, but I am hoping the iPad will do 75% of what I use a computer for.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of using a Windows machine how many have gone "months " without crashing or freezing?

Some people may be able to get by without a desk top or lap top but not me, but I am hoping the iPad will do 75% of what I use a computer for.
Yes you're right.

I have an XP that crashes when I plugin my Nano and it starts iTunes... :shrug:

galloschramme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
two main reasons:

whether a product is good or bad, that depends on you
- if it can do everything you want it to do, then it's a great device
- if you want a device with webcam, flash support, usb-ports, … then the iPad is a bad product (and most people want these features)

there's an other reason why you read so many criticism:
the development of the iPad started long ago, and from then, there were rumors, lots of rumors… and finally, when the iPad is announced, it does not seem to correspond with the rumors, result: everybody has to tell the world how dissapointed they are about the iPad

i think these are the two main reasons for your question

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
galloschramme,

Not necessarily a "bad" product just one person may need their machine to do something the iPad can't do.

Dwight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The naysayer will always be here. In fact, I think that without them Apple products would be mediocre. With that said, remember when the iphone arrived the naysayer said that "without a video cam, the device will fail". Did the iphone fail? The think the main question is not what the ipad can do, the question is how is the ipad going to impact digital publishing and digital media. The hardware is going to meet Apple's standards, however the distribution of content and services is going to be the key to its success. Remember that itunes saved the music industry. Not with quantity but with ease of use. I like to quote a neighbor of mine who said that "if the service is good, I do not mind paying a little extra". Is Flash going to be around forever? I would much rather have more storage space than be worried about whether Flash is going to work or not. I like Apple products. There are better systems and devices, however this one that Apple maintains works for me, because of it's ease of use. My main objective with this ipad is to read, play music, store my photos, and email short notes to my buds, watch movies, and on occasion create something.

Most reactions

Latest posts