What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does iPad stack up to competition?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is not made for haters

I think most of the criticisms are valid. The iPad does lack features that are common to every other device in it's price class. And Apple is a "control freak" of a company.

It would be nice to have the option of running flash. It would be nice to have a webcam. It would be nice to have a changeable battery/usb port/memory card slot.

As nice as the App Store is - it would be nice to be able to buy apps from anyone without having to "jail break" you phone. Has there ever been a computer before where the manufacturer got to approve every piece of software than ran on it?

However, Apple has done so much right -- that I will indeed be getting an iPad. I love my iphone and we have 3 ipod touches in the family.

The iPad won't be for everybody, just as everybody doesn't use a Mac or have an iphone. I would not buy an iPod as they are so much more expensive than I can get another mp3 player for. And I don't need itunes to manage my music. So the iPod wasn't for me.

Lee

Lee so you don't need to buy an iPad, nobody force you to buy one ...
I have Iphone 3Gs , and my wife have a 3 G and both of us will buy an iPad, for personal and professional use ... and we know we will be satisfied but some people like you even god cannot made the satisfied

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad will be used by God

The naysayer will always be here. In fact, I think that without them Apple products would be mediocre. With that said, remember when the iphone arrived the naysayer said that "without a video cam, the device will fail". Did the iphone fail? The think the main question is not what the ipad can do, the question is how is the ipad going to impact digital publishing and digital media. The hardware is going to meet Apple's standards, however the distribution of content and services is going to be the key to its success. Remember that itunes saved the music industry. Not with quantity but with ease of use. I like to quote a neighbor of mine who said that "if the service is good, I do not mind paying a little extra". Is Flash going to be around forever? I would much rather have more storage space than be worried about whether Flash is going to work or not. I like Apple products. There are better systems and devices, however this one that Apple maintains works for me, because of it's ease of use. My main objective with this ipad is to read, play music, store my photos, and email short notes to my buds, watch movies, and on occasion create something.

Dwight, you forgot to talk about the Ipod, this device kick strongly the digital music market, yet it become a popular word and even all big brand have try to took his place yet is the world leader ... i beleive even the Talibans have Ipod ....

i also remember how they talk badly about the Iphone, even some friend but 2 years after they have one, and one of them have also move from PC to Apple and he always repeat this is the machine i am waiting for long , workable easy to use, and never give me trouble ...

of course Apple have some restriction, but the key point is they think first about the user experience and they do it well based on their position in the market

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think most of the criticisms are valid.

However, Apple has done so much right -- that I will indeed be getting an iPad. I love my iphone and we have 3 ipod touches in the family.

Lee so you don't need to buy an iPad, nobody force you to buy one ...
I have Iphone 3Gs , and my wife have a 3 G and both of us will buy an iPad, for personal and professional use ... and we know we will be satisfied but some people like you even god cannot made the satisfied[/QUOTE]

I cut my post down so perhaps you can understand better. I think the most all of the iPad criticisms are valid. There's no reason to shy away from them or defend the iPad like some mindless fanboy folks accuse us to be.

HOWEVER, what the iPad has done right is more important -- to me -- than the things others criticize it for.

It's like when the iPhone didn't have "copy/paste". Folks criticized the lack of it. I agreed - it should have had copy and paste. That didn't mean I couldn't use my iphone. Eventually Apple got around to adding that feature. But only an idiot would have defended the iphone's lack of copy and paste as a good thing.

Lee

ps: I put my preorder in this morning.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad is coming out today

I cut my post down so perhaps you can understand better. I think the most all of the iPad criticisms are valid. There's no reason to shy away from them or defend the iPad like some mindless fanboy folks accuse us to be.

HOWEVER, what the iPad has done right is more important -- to me -- than the things others criticize it for.

It's like when the iPhone didn't have "copy/paste". Folks criticized the lack of it. I agreed - it should have had copy and paste. That didn't mean I couldn't use my iphone. Eventually Apple got around to adding that feature. But only an idiot would have defended the iphone's lack of copy and paste as a good thing.

Lee

ps: I put my preorder in this morning.

Yeah solly solly excuse my Singlish :D ,

We got Iphone Gen1 factory unlock nearly one month after he come out in US ... and i test it one week i don't be satisfied until the 3G in 2.1, i also admit some small details are embarrassing but i don't think this is a valid reason for see many article criticizing the Ipad .... but haters are everywhere

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also admit some small details are embarrassing but i don't think this is a valid reason for see many article criticizing the Ipad .... but haters are everywhere

The iPhone didn't have copy/paste. Criticizing it's lack of copy/paste was therefore valid.

The iPad doesn't support flash yet claims to be the "best internet experience". Given that flash is a very important web techology, it's valid to criticize Apple's choice to exclude flash.

That's what I mean by saying that most of the criticisms have been "valid". As in "they have a point".

There are blind haters and there are blind fanboys. I see no particular difference between the two. Any Apple fan who can't understand that everything is not "the best" in Apple products.....well....

Lee

OP
J

Juraviel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see no more people reply to my topic so let me bump it up a little bit hehe.

a question: will it be possible to play online games with other people, or through bluetooth?

PS
i do expect a 'no' as an answer so dont be afraid to reply (i asked before whether it's possible to 'sort of' multitasking on the safari browser by opening for example music on 1st tab and something else on the 2nd, no one answered)

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This argument about Apple not implementing Flash and some predicting this to be the death of Apple just reminded me of a similar event.
I remember back in 1998 when I got my first iMac. Quite a few naysayers told me how stupid it was to purchase a machine that had no 3.5" floppy drive. Apple stated that the 3.5" floppy was already obsolete and were no longer necessary, but coworkers and friends still looked at me like I was an idiot. I actually started to believe that maybe I made a mistake! Many were predicting this to be Apple's big foolish decision that would spell their doom (sound familiar?)
So what happened? Zip drives, CD burners, and USB flash drives came out, they surpassed the storage limits of floppy, and became cheaper and cheaper. Apple was right. The 3.5" floppy really was dead. I was at first worried that I'd miss the floppy drive, but as it turned out - I didn't need a floppy. Not even once.
So I'm wondering if history will repeat itself with Flash. Of course, all of us early adopters have to wait until HTML5 really takes off, but I suspect most folks will realize that they don't even really need Flash despite what everyone is telling them.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To The Baron

Had to laugh, recently learned by myself why floppys are dead when I tried to transfer a tif file from an old machine that had a floppy drive and it just would not take it, finally figured out that the file was larger than the floppy. 1 file.

I remember someone who paid $9,000 or $10,000 for a 5 megabyte hard drive in early 1980s. Things have changed

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the option of running flash. It would be nice to have a webcam. It would be nice to have a changeable battery/usb port/memory card slot.

Actually you will be able to plug in a usb device and sd card and if your battery fails to retain memory they will swap it out for $100....not too bad in my opinion.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember getting that new wizbang top of the line Windows computer, it was fast and could run all the new stuff, and you download this and install that and a year later, it takes longer to do anything and it starts crashing and freezing and just not working very well.

You ever had your iPod Touch not work? ya when the battery was dead.
It does email, it does books, you can surf the web, and play games, look at pictures, watch a movie, it is portable and now it has a bigger screen.

If you want a computer that does more, they are out there for sale right now!!! buy one of them and quit complaining about what a worthless piece of silicon the iPad is.

I am buying a big iPod Touch because I know it will work just as well as my little iPod Touch.

Actually it's funny you say this....on announcement day I saw it and was like....what? It's a big iPod Touch. Then over the weeks since it was announced I have thought about it and thought about it, and I came to one conclusion.....I love my iPod Touch....it is a GREAT device...and much the same as Android will work very well on a large scale as a netbook so should iPhone OS....of course it is an extended and modified build but overall it is the same idea. I ordered mine this weekend.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see no more people reply to my topic so let me bump it up a little bit hehe.

a question: will it be possible to play online games with other people, or through bluetooth?

PS
i do expect a 'no' as an answer so dont be afraid to reply (i asked before whether it's possible to 'sort of' multitasking on the safari browser by opening for example music on 1st tab and something else on the 2nd, no one answered)

it is possible on iPhone so yes.

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember someone who paid $9,000 or $10,000 for a 5 megabyte hard drive in early 1980s. Things have changed

Sheepishly raising hand.... Um... Yeah, not quite that much $$, but I was one of those who paid huge $$ for a 5 MB drive.

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Actually you will be able to plug in a usb device and sd card and if your battery fails to retain memory they will swap it out for $100....not too bad in my opinion.

There is no USB port. There is an optional adapter that will allow folks to connect to a memory card. No indication whether we'll have a general usb adapter for things, say, like a web cam :)

Lee

Most reactions

Latest posts