What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you show off your iPad capability?

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Recently many people asked me about the iPad in general. And I just wanted to blow their minds away with what the iPad can do---> trying be iPad expert:D. Long story short, I fail almost every time. I usually start by showing the iBooks app, after I show them the Weather HD app. Then I try to show Them HD quality iPad video commercial downloaded from YouTube. After I start a game which contain best graphics. Often the game crashes and that basically give the iPad a whole bad image. Many people aren't satisfied with that previous routine so that's why it fails. So how do you show off the iPad capability? How do you think I should mine? please share me your thoughts, ideas and suggestions. Thanks for reading:).

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 32 Gig Wi-Fi iPad. I've shown it off to friends and family, and they've all been impressed. I always show how awesome Netflix streaming movies look on it, in addition to some of the HD clips on YouTube. I show them the Google Earth app as well, which is always a fun time killer.

The musically inclined are impressed with the Virtuoso piano app, younger people (and kids at heart) enjoy the Touch Hockey (air hockey) game and its realistic play. For those interested in how it compares to the Kindle and its kin, I have the Kindle app and some free books downloaded from Amazon. The Christians like that there's a Bible app. I myself am always amused by the Pac-Sam game, in tilt mode, which is like a hybrid between Pac-Man and Galaga.

Honorable mention goes to the USA Today app and Gravitarium. The only app that's really crashed on me (just the app, the iPad itself was unaffected for long) was a synthesizer app, which I subsequently deleted because it was too unstable. Most everything else is great.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Times newspaper app (London Times for those of you Stateside).

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always show people how I use it for work first. I like to put it into their heads that there are real world applications for it. I have work presentations as well as all my docs and brochures synced with google docs using docs to go.

After that I take them through the entertainment apps. Netflix is a great one to show but everyone is most impressed with Air Video. I have a 2TB HDD at home and I am able to stream my entire movie collection directly to my ipad wherever I might be. Also ibooks, games, google earth, etc.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What gets everyone's attention is magazines in Zinio. When they see the quickness of the iPad's performance at resizing text and images they just fall silent. It's better than paper.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I agree about netflix. I also often show some of the games for my 2 year old. They are quick, very graphic and show some of the touch possibilities well.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont really feel the need to show it off. I dont work for Apple and dont get any commission from their sales. (Maybe I should buy stock)

If people ask about it, I show them what I do with it, but that may or may not be impressive to them. I dont really worry about that. I also make sure to tell some of the things it cant do if they are thinking about getting one. (flash, browse network folders, etc...)

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Impressive Jake. Do you have Snow Leopard Server at home?

No, actually it is just a windows 7 machine that I use to stream HD videos through media center to my Xbox. I have Air Video server installed on it and the iPad connects seamlessly. I think it is the best app available on the iPad!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me it depends on whom I'm sharing it with: someone looking to get iPad as an eReader wouldn't really care about its gaming or office apps, for example.

One of the most interesting experiences I had whilst showing a friend was scrolling through Contacts. He saw the name of a well-known musician, and tapped on the address (by accident). That opened up Maps, which immediately pinpointed where the house was. He tapped on it again, and the Maps zoomed down into Street View, showing the front of celebrity musician's house. We zoomed back out into Maps, and with a few taps obtained driving directions from our current location to said address.

My friend obtained himself an iPad shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ask them their postcode and show them their house in google streetview.
Best when they live on the otherside of the world and you're sitting around a meal table...

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Ask them their postcode and show them their house in google streetview.
Best when they live on the otherside of the world and you're sitting around a meal table...

It would be nice if the Maps app showed through AppleTV. I've got one set up in the dining room.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flipboard is my first choice. I would almost buy an iPad just for that app.

Netflix is always good. Of course, this assumes Netflix will still be available after Apple's changes to subscription services.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flipboard is my first choice. I would almost buy an iPad just for that app.

Netflix is always good. Of course, this assumes Netflix will still be available after Apple's changes to subscription services.

What subscription service changes are you referring to?

Most reactions

Latest posts