What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay.. Apple has not peaked.. is that better.. they will never do any wrong and their pile of cash will continue to grow, simply due to the fact they have the golden midas touch... ;-)

seriously.. I hope they do, at least for the bit of time I have left..lol, but I suspect they will not re-invent the wheel, but continue to improve on what they have got, if they have not peaked now, I think their best days are likely behind them..JMO. but that may be still be a few years away... it happens to all companies, but I won't lose any sleep over it, I suggest you don't either. I like Apple equipment.. should do, I have an aweful lot of it, but things change in cycles, Apple will need to bring out something new and exciting again to hold their position in the future, and I suspect that's unlikely to happen...but you never know.. I suggest you do not take members comments so litterally, at the end of the day.. were both Apple fans are we not. :)

Not an Apple fanboi by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I am closer to a "both platforms inhale profusely but one at least works well enough that I don't want to throw it against a wall".

I do concur that Android could make huge inroads into Apples iPad. The issue is they are doing it all wrong in my opinion and it is frustrating to watch. Google left Android so open that manufacturers created tablets with Android 2.1 as the OS. What were they thinking to allowing that to happen??? Why has Google allowed 7 major screen resolutions to occur? Why have they allowed Manufacturers to skin the OS to the point that it lags? Heck, why do they still allow people to post apps that have support for Android 1.6? Or why do they have three different compiled SQL-Lite engines that act differently across Android 2.X?

Apple isn't much better mind you. While they did two things right, only two coordinate systems and consistent hardware for development, they now have the issue of user demand for larger phone screens. User demand for basic editing of standard features. Like changing the color of a text balloon. The code has to read a file to get the color. How hard is it for them to allow the user to edit that setting????? They use plists for a reason. Why not use it all the way?

So please pardon me when I bag on Android. I do it more out of a love/hate relationship. I want to love the OS. I spent a year writing the book on how to overclock the original Android phones while at the same time consulting with three ROM makers oh how to fix Android short comings. And in the end I had to leave Android because the phone simply couldn't be bothered to respond to phone calls or text messages because it was too busy running background tasks from poorly written apps. And some of the Apps were written by Google.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple cant kill Android off. there are way to many Android tablest on the market.
Android is more open OS then apples. its good to have both apple and Android on the market

adhasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just love apple very much,after know the story behind... Android ummm.... Let me think,... "no thanks"

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I think you're missing my point: People who buy gadgets and just want them to work aren't interested in an "Android experience" (whatever that's supposed to be). If stuff just works, they'll be happy with it, regardless of platform.

And, yes, Kindle Fire is definitely a walled garden, as advertised. I bought it specifically because I wanted a smaller tab that I could read books on, watch movies on, and listen to audiobooks on. I use barely any apps on mine, so no need to root.

I didn't miss that point, but most people who buy android, because it is android, want an experience very different than what apple offers. The people who buy kindle fires, aren't interested in android. So the kindle doesn't need to get mentioned in the android conversation, because it is not really android. It is a low cost alternative to apple designed for amazon customers.

Frankly, it seems that everything you do on your kindle you can do on your Note, no? I guess you got the kindle first? I rarely use my kindle e-reader anymore.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google made me feel like a total idiot when I went against my better judgment and bought a Google TV (logitech). I figured between those two companies it would turn out to be a useful thing. That's when I learned that Google, while having done some interesting things in tech, really has no consumer savvy. They don't know how to make products people want, but they know how to do clever things. It's like engineer run amock..the should not be allowed loose on the general public without some product-savvy liberal arts, marketing, and business types to guide them. Now, anytime I consider any google product, I think twice. Other than a phone, which almost by definition has a two-year life, anything else powered by Google is bound to have a short lifespan...no matter how attractive it may seem from a technical standpoint.

Frankly, I think it is going to take Microsoft to mount some real competition for Apple. I think of them as a sleeping giant and it is not really clear if they are awake yet or not. That new phone does look nice, though, but with no app support and a mis-step already can it gain any ground? And now with the iPhone 5 looming in the background...it almost seems hopeless.

I do agree with Lunar that eventually Apple will mis-fire. They have had dudes before and there is no reason to assume they won't again. And while they may not have peaked...I'm thinking that the iPad has peaked. While I can see some useful new features, I just have a feeling that that boat has left is shores and there is little else they can do that can be seem as innovative. As a tech lover, I would really love to be wrong. It would be so nice to have some really new and exciting piece of tech come along. What is the next thing? Bring on the next!

adhasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tazz3 said:
Apple cant kill Android off. there are way to many Android tablest on the market.
Android is more open OS then apples. its good to have both apple and Android on the market

Well... If could have it both I will.... :D

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I have been very curious about mind mapping apps. Is there any way I could entice you into starting a thread on this and just commenting a bit about what you do with yours and how useful you find these tools? I feel as those the mind mapping would be beneficial to me, but I just don't want to jump into cold water and then die due to extreme cold (i.e., I don't want to waste money on something I don't need or I won't use).

Sure I could start a thread on the topic, perhaps over the weekend as I am at work now.

I've recently start using mind maps at work, mostly for notes. I use FreeMind on a PC. It is Java based and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I am using iThoughtsHD on the iPad.

Last edited:

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will never kill android , ots probably the other way around , steve jobs is dead and he was apple , soon apple will loose ideas and be just a fond cult memory sadly , apple stock prices will crash soon if experts are to be believed , as apple really need to bring a new product out that will outsell the ios devices , as 70% of apples income comes from 2 devices , when they loose more market share ( which they will as the compo is getting better ) apple will need a new product , not a tv or killing the mac ( as its doing now by making mac more ios ) i myself love apple products but hate the way the company is acting with its stupid patent war , which is hurting development of future products , i used to like the old days when a company made a device and then the competition just made a better device , ect , just attacking every one is the the point of patents , google and apple should both stop before they both sink , then is ios and apple dead and so is android dead , just like steve jobs

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple will never kill android , ots probably the other way around , steve jobs is dead and he was apple , soon apple will loose ideas and be just a fond cult memory sadly , apple stock prices will crash soon if experts are to be believed , as apple really need to bring a new product out that will outsell the ios devices , as 70% of apples income comes from 2 devices , when they loose more market share ( which they will as the compo is getting better ) apple will need a new product , not a tv or killing the mac ( as its doing now by making mac more ios ) i myself love apple products but hate the way the company is acting with its stupid patent war , which is hurting development of future products , i used to like the old days when a company made a device and then the competition just made a better device , ect , just attacking every one is the the point of patents , google and apple should both stop before they both sink , then is ios and apple dead and so is android dead , just like steve jobs

Currently analysts are saying that Apple stocks could hit $1000 before the end of 2013. Their stock price right now is based on actual income unlike most stocks in their price range. Even if Apple lost 50% market share this second, they would still be able to sell 50+ million tablets and 70+ million iPhones per year. And since their stock price is based on those types of sales numbers, it doesn't matter if they have only 1% market share.

Jobs spent his last 5 years creating a mentality. Every employee is required to go to a school that teaches them that very mentality. Jobs may be physically gone, but his legacy will last well into this century.

Jobs is the one that started the patent war. It will eventually play itself out. And in the end, it will work out for everyone. History has already taught us that.

The future isn't even remotely cloud with Apple. In fact, if it got anymore bright their stock could hit $2000 in the next 50 years.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android right now is in its infancy. Ultimately I see Android as an OS maturing better than IOS. However, let's not forget that there are other players - with Windows 8 really really being built to provide the flexibility of Android and the experience of IOS.

Started to type more, but it all sounded like blah,blah,blah... the fact is that no one knows how it will play out because no one knows how apple or google or microsoft will react. Who would have believed two years ago that RIM would be on its death bed right now.

Right now for my money, Apple is the top dog. I bought the right now experience and am not getting suckered in by Google's promise of the future any more than I have been. I like the google tablet but only from a geek point of view - I would not let my non techie friends waste their time with it, but I would definitely recommend it to my enemies because I do want to keep the competition alive.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zphone said:
Android right now is in its infancy. Ultimately I see Android as an OS maturing better than IOS. However, let's not forget that there are other players - with Windows 8 really really being built to provide the flexibility of Android and the experience of IOS.

Started to type more, but it all sounded like blah,blah,blah... the fact is that no one knows how it will play out because no one knows how apple or google or microsoft will react. Who would have believed two years ago that RIM would be on its death bed right now.

Right now for my money, Apple is the top dog. I bought the right now experience and am not getting suckered in by Google's promise of the future any more than I have been. I like the google tablet but only from a geek point of view - I would not let my non techie friends waste their time with it, but I would definitely recommend it to my enemies because I do want to keep the competition alive.

Android is on version 4. That is not infancy. It won't be ready for prime time until version 7. And many will waste time, money, and effort waiting for it to get right. This is exactly what we all did with windows.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I feel Android's biggest problem is having just too much out there. Anyone can walk into a store like Big Lots and buy an android tablet for $99 and think they are getting a great deal. Hell, even CVS is selling cheap Android tablets now. The problem with this is.....they are GARBAGE! When you think about, the average Joe really isn't all that tech savy so he or she has no idea what to buy. These people get their bargain tablet home and that's it, this is now their first Impression of the android platform and go running right into Apple's arms.

This may not be a great example but it's the truth. Android has so much potential but unfortunately the market is flooded with junk which is where Apple is able to move in for the kill, so to speak.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't miss that point, but most people who buy android, because it is android, want an experience very different than what apple offers. The people who buy kindle fires, aren't interested in android. So the kindle doesn't need to get mentioned in the android conversation, because it is not really android. It is a low cost alternative to apple designed for amazon customers.

Frankly, it seems that everything you do on your kindle you can do on your Note, no? I guess you got the kindle first? I rarely use my kindle e-reader anymore.

I don't agree that everyone buys for the "Android experience." There are some people who want the extreme flexibility of Android, but most people on smart phones typically don't customize much, root, flash, etc., for instance. There just aren't that many technically savvy people, lol. Many people don't even do any research; they show up at a store, play with a few phones, maybe take a salesperson's rec, (or maybe they saw an ad) and get a device. (The people you see on this forum are generally better informed about tech and more interested in gadgets than most.)

I bought my Kindle Fire specifically as an ereader (for its size and backlighting) and first foray into Android. I wanted to see what kind of apps were available, and test drive them.

I bought the Note like I buy every device -- I'm prepared to return them if it turns out that my research fell short. It took me only a few hours to love it, though. I've managed to do everything I needed without sweating it. I have movies, music, audiobooks, books and apps on it, and I've given it raves to everyone who asks. (Battery life is middling, but I've ordered a spare, which I can pop out.) I've seen two other women at work with a Note, and they both love it. One is technical; one isn't.

I still use my Kindle Fire. I prefer the size for book reading at home, and I sometimes watch movies on it while I charge one iPad and use the other for surfing. (I often use two devices at the same time.) I love the Note's portability and dual phone and tablet functions on the go, but I don't see why I should use a 5" phablet at home when I have two iPads and a Fire.

I did abandon my Kindle e-ink device, which I got a lot of use out of before iPad ever existed. I was from home for extended periods and my Kindle reader was a lifeline. I still have it, in case of natural disaster, when its amazing battery life would be key.

It's great to have choices. I use what works best for me at the moment.

At this point, the main things that would sell me on a new device: significantly longer battery life; easy loading of non-iTunes content (even if that means I no longer buy Apple devices); more storage space (though my Note takes 32GB SD cards, which I've bought); and significantly lighter weight.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has been through rough times, but has always survive. They are better for it, because after what happened when Jobs was ousted. He learned more about how the world outside of Apple worked. With his experience with NeXt and Pixar, he was a better leader when he returned. More so, he learned to develop a team training program that made sure that his legacy would live on. Granted, his visionary thinking is not going to be easy to get around, but the company has built a solid operation that can endure for a long time. Other than that, no company is immune to the problem of not keeping up with change. Over decades, Apple may fall into the same category that Sears, American Airlines, and many other companies wind up in. However, the chances are that Google is more likely to reach there first.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel Android's biggest problem is having just too much out there. Anyone can walk into a store like Big Lots and buy an android tablet for $99 and think they are getting a great deal. Hell, even CVS is selling cheap Android tablets now. The problem with this is.....they are GARBAGE! When you think about, the average Joe really isn't all that tech savy so he or she has no idea what to buy. These people get their bargain tablet home and that's it, this is now their first Impression of the android platform and go running right into Apple's arms.

This may not be a great example but it's the truth. Android has so much potential but unfortunately the market is flooded with junk which is where Apple is able to move in for the kill, so to speak.

I think people who cheap out get what they pay for when it comes to electronics. And I agree that some people misjudge Android devices as a group because they assume that every Android device is the same, but that defies common sense to me. I don't see Apple killing Android, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts