What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

pk one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already have an android pad { galaxy tab 7 inch } but very rarely use it at all and in all honesty I would get rid of it tomorrow if only my New I-pad or is it I-pad 3 ?

1/ Supported flash and divx etc natively.

2/ Had a memory card slot so I could swap about my stuff on cards instead of deleting and re-downloading stuff constantly'
OH By the way I have 64 gig wireless so I cannot upgrade but these games are getting out of control I mean Fifa, Dead space, Real racing, Infinity blade etc,
all are well over one gig and I only see them getting bigger how about you guys ?

3/ Give us the option of being able to install music and movies without having to pig about with I-Tunes { copy and paste anyone ? }.

That is really just about it I mean I know it will probably never happen but hey you are allowed to dream I suppose.

P.S. Please don't think I am putting Apple down cos I kiss my I-PAD goodnight every night I love it that much and I honestly just want the above so I can get rid
of the Android but what about it Apple ? I REALLY THINK YOU WILL KILL ANDROID OFF FOR GOOD.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doubt it. Such changes might swing some buyers, but not enough to kill Android. You know that Android is the best-selling platform among smart phones, right? Apple makes few devices to choose from. There are plenty of Android choices.

To me, there's no best platform or device, except for personal preference. I take advantage of multiple platforms and devices, and I see no reason to limit myself.

OP
P

pk one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doubt it. Such changes might swing some buyers, but not enough to kill Android. You know that Android is the best-selling platform among smart phones, right? Apple makes few devices to choose from. There are plenty of Android choices.

To me, there's no best platform or device, except for personal preference. I take advantage of multiple platforms and devices, and I see no reason to limit myself.
Yeah I totally agree but Apple is Apple and Android must have at least a couple of hundred variants over makers and versions cos believe me you very very rarely get the
opportunity on any Android phone or Tablet to upgrade your operating system like you do with apple.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already have an android pad { galaxy tab 7 inch } but very rarely use it at all and in all honesty I would get rid of it tomorrow if only my New I-pad or is it I-pad 3 ?

2/ Had a memory card slot so I could swap about my stuff on cards instead of deleting and re-downloading stuff constantly'
OH By the way I have 64 gig wireless so I cannot upgrade but these games are getting out of control I mean Fifa, Dead space, Real racing, Infinity blade etc,
all are well over one gig and I only see them getting bigger how about you guys ?

3/ Give us the option of being able to install music and movies without having to pig about with I-Tunes { copy and paste anyone ? }.

That is really just about it I mean I know it will probably never happen but hey you are allowed to dream I suppose.

P.S. Please don't think I am putting Apple down cos I kiss my I-PAD goodnight every night I love it that much and I honestly just want the above so I can get rid
of the Android but what about it Apple ? I REALLY THINK YOU WILL KILL ANDROID OFF FOR GOOD.

These are the reasons android is even successful. And the exact same reasons I'm going to be owning an android tab soon.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I totally agree but Apple is Apple and Android must have at least a couple of hundred variants over makers and versions cos believe me you very very rarely get the
opportunity on any Android phone or Tablet to upgrade your operating system like you do with apple.

I follow news across platforms, and Android upgrades are available for many devices I've read about. The experience varies from device to device, and manufacturer to manufacturer, and sometimes carrier to carrier depending on the device. It can be a PITA, and Apple's upgrades are more predictable and stable by comparison.

That will always be the case when you compare one manufacturer with complete control (Apple) vs. many manufacturers, plus carriers.

There are tradeoffs to picking any one platform or device, which is why I won't limit myself. And I doubt the market will all fall behind Apple. It doesn't make sense for any consumer to root for a monopoly anyway, no matter the industry. Competition is in our interest, no matter what we buy.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No way. I own both the new iPad and the Transformer Prime and the the wide screen format of the Android tablets, card slots, keyboard dock, 16 hour battery life, etc... I was really surprised that Apple didn't up the stakes with the new iPad because to me for once Apple did not take the lead back with their new offering!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You basically named off the reasons why Android will likely never die. Frankly, only Google can kill Android and I think they have been trying to, at least on tablets. Given that the most successful Android tablet to date is the Kindle Fire, which is so walled off it might as well be Apple, you kind of have to wonder about Android on tablets. In the phone market, people like choices and Android is more than good enough most of the time to keep people happy. If people lived with sucky Windows Mobile (which, for me, rebooted itself several times a day) for two years, then can certainly be happy with Android 2.3 for two years. But tablets are devices which most people don't really need and so the experience needs to be a cut above. That's why Apple is so dominate there, but even that will change over time. And you stated the exact reasons why, even though, frankly, I can get around each of them on the iPad. Most people don't bother to figure out how.

OP
P

pk one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You basically named off the reasons why Android will likely never die. Frankly, only Google can kill Android and I think they have been trying to, at least on tablets. Given that the most successful Android tablet to date is the Kindle Fire, which is so walled off it might as well be Apple, you kind of have to wonder about Android on tablets. In the phone market, people like choices and Android is more than good enough most of the time to keep people happy. If people lived with sucky Windows Mobile (which, for me, rebooted itself several times a day) for two years, then can certainly be happy with Android 2.3 for two years. But tablets are devices which most people don't really need and so the experience needs to be a cut above. That's why Apple is so dominate there, but even that will change over time. And you stated the exact reasons why, even though, frankly, I can get around each of them on the iPad. Most people don't bother to figure out how.

I think in all honesty my dislike of Android 2.3 {gingerbread} is mostly that when I close down my £400 tablet is that it informs me that my PHONE is turning off OHHH my god that peeves me off so much I could honestly smash it at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thankfully Android will be around for a very very long time. And I am grateful for it.

Apple has a target. Apple has a muse. Apple has a true competitor.

iOS will only get better because of Android.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think in all honesty my dislike of Android 2.3 {gingerbread} is mostly that when I close down my £400 tablet is that it informs me that my PHONE is turning off OHHH my god that pisses me off so much I could honestly smash it at times.

Yeah, I can understand that...and it is a shame when ICS is a perfectly fine OS for a tablet.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think Android is going anywhere. Personally, I like using different OS. As much as I like the openness of Android, I like the predictability of Apple. I'm due for an upgrade in June and I'm seriously torn between going 4S or sticking with another android. I have a fickle relationship with the two. As much as I love being able to flash different ROMs, in my opinion you just can't beat how smooth and polished Apple is.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pk one said:

These are the exact reasons I got the tab 7. I also wanted something smaller to put in my purse, and when I can't pull up something on my ipad, i can with my tab.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still enjoy messing with my droid phones and like many of the features. Android is not going anywhere. However, they have a long way to go in the race to catch up in the tablet business. I had always wanted a droid tablet to play with but did not want to pay for one so I ended up trading one of my RC helis for a Transformer and while it had the features of android I liked the tablet as a whole felt cheap and was just junk. I sold the Transformer in hopes of upgrading it to the Transformer Prime when it came out but the Prime turned out to be the biggest tablet flop to date. Never could get my hands on one due to very poor product launch and when they were finally available they had so many problems that Asus basically scrapped them for the TF700 which is due out this summer. So ended up using that money to upgrade to the New iPad. Money much better spent.

Most reactions

Latest posts