What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to jailbreaking - advise me what to do next!

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last week I jail broke my iPad using the lovely helpful tutorial which is posted as a sticky at the top of this section. I was surprised how easy it was, I set aside a whole evening and it took about 15 minutes :)

I had no clear aim in jailbreaking, I just wondered if I could do it. I haven't really done anything new with the iPad since then, just downloaded a couple if themes.

A few questions then:

1. Can you get 'live' wallpapers like you can on android?

2. Why can't I change the boot logo?

3. How do I get rid of stuff I have downloaded and decided I don't like?

4. Can anyone recommend any good themes or any other cool stuff I can do now?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week I jail broke my iPad using the lovely helpful tutorial which is posted as a sticky at the top of this section. I was surprised how easy it was, I set aside a whole evening and it took about 15 minutes :)

I had no clear aim in jailbreaking, I just wondered if I could do it. I haven't really done anything new with the iPad since then, just downloaded a couple if themes.

A few questions then:

1. Can you get 'live' wallpapers like you can on android?

2. Why can't I change the boot logo?

3. How do I get rid of stuff I have downloaded and decided I don't like?

4. Can anyone recommend any good themes or any other cool stuff I can do now?

Glad you found the tutorial easy. Quick answers to your Q's, I'll add more detail later if needed...

1. Yes, there are a couple, but can't remember which ones work on iPad - Try and search Cydia for "Nexus" and give some a try...

2. Have you installed one, then enabled it in Settings > Boot Logo. Try "Animate Apple" from Cydia. It works well. If it still isn't working, did you enable animated logos when you ran the jailbreak. If you didn't they will never work!

3. Launch Cydia, move to the Installed tab at the bottom. Find the app, click it, click the "modify" button at the top right, then choose remove. That's how it uninstalls.

4. There is a post I did a whilst ago. search "jailbroken homescreen" I think. Something like that. It had a few listed.

Also, check the new Ultimate JB Tweaks sticky. Lots of good ideas in there...

Hope that helps.

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
I just had my pad broken.... Then I unbroken it.., as fast as I could.
In my professional opinion. There is no true benefit to JB'ing a iPad.
Many cyndia apps are buggy, won't work or caused problems. Will try the iPod, but never again will I do a pad.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had my pad broken.... Then I unbroken it.., as fast as I could.
In my professional opinion. There is no true benefit to JB'ing a iPad.
Many cyndia apps are buggy, won't work or caused problems. Will try the iPod, but never again will I do a pad.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and I'm sorry your experience was bad back in March. It's a shame that when you tried it before you didn't get as much support as some others more recently.

There is a lot more useful information in our stickies now, such as the Ultimate list of JB apps, most if not all of which work on the latest version of IOS.

Jailbreaking isn't for everyone. Just because some people love abseiling doesn't mean everyone should throw themselves off a high building with a rope round themselves...

Hope you are getting some value from the rest of the forums.

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded some of the free tweaks from the sticky thread. I have had no problems with anything crashing. The only thing that isn't working is the boot logo, and I suspect that I may have forgotten to tick the right box for that when I jailbroke.

I am still looking for a good theme, none of the ones I have downloaded are quite right somehow.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded some of the free tweaks from the sticky thread. I have had no problems with anything crashing. The only thing that isn't working is the boot logo, and I suspect that I may have forgotten to tick the right box for that when I jailbroke.

I am still looking for a good theme, none of the ones I have downloaded are quite right somehow.

You used redsn0w, right? I think you can run it again over the top and just tick the right option to enable animated boot (just don't install Cydia again!). Then you should be good to go.

I'll let someone else chip in with theme ideas. I am running without a full theme at the moment, but a few bits of the interface customised here and there (lockscreen mostly), using Glasklart.

Most reactions

Latest posts