What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you search Craigslist for Ipad deals?

espeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Curious to any tips from the community here when it comes to searching for deals on Ipads on Craigslist. For example when I am searching for an iPad for example, you'll get results for people unlocking/jailbreaking/fixing/etc. Eliminate those results by simple adding a '-' before any word you'd like to remove from results.

Here's a query I use when searching for an iPad 2: "ipad 2 -3 -3g -droid -repair -mobile -city -fix -damage -screen -3g -service -services -retina -mini"

I also came across a handy little bookmarklet called Cl Alerts .. it sends me Craigslist email Alerts based on that search criteria :)

Most importantly:
I'm interested in how others find good deals on Ipads on Craigslist ..

Looking forward to seeing what others do

OP
E

espeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe this is in the wrong forum?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This forum could be the wrong or right forum to discuss Craigslist or your subject matter. For me, I have no interest in buying anything on Craigslist--too many horror stories. IMHO, you can get very good prices from Apple refurb store--with warranty--to risk buying an iPad from Craigslist. I know people who have no problems buying stuff from Craigslist. Perhaps they'll see this thread and post to the contrary?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MattIM said:
This forum could be the wrong or right forum to discuss Craigslist or your subject matter. For me, I have no interest in buying anything on Craigslist--too many horror stories. IMHO, you can get very good prices from Apple refurb store--with warranty--to risk buying an iPad from Craigslist. I know people who have no problems buying stuff from Craigslist. Perhaps they'll see this thread and post to the contrary?

My thoughts exactly. Sorry to have left this thread untouched, but to my mind, an answer of "I don't know" is more annoying than none at all. To my mind, expensive electronics are better bought from a reputable dealer that out of the trunk of a car on a parking lot.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my ipad2 via CL and had no issues selling it in one day. Still under Apple warranty and with box and reciept.

I bought both my boys' iPod Touch(x2) off CL and didn't have any issues with either. There was no way I could afford them new or refurbished at the time and took a risk. I thoroughly tested them before handing over the cash in, gasp, a parking lot!

I just was very specific in my needs when I searched. I have a wanted ad up now for an iPad 1st gen for my autistic oldest son. I think it is worth a tryout to see if anybody is upgrading and willing to part with an old one for cheap.

CL can be a great place to get used items, if you are thorough and careful about what you are buying. I wouldn't have half the stuff I have for daycare kids to play with & use if I didn't utilize perfectly good items that somebody else has no use for or outgrew. And I think it is quite closed minded to think that new or refurb is the only way to go. Very wasteful.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
I sold my ipad2 via CL and had no issues selling it in one day. Still under Apple warranty and with box and reciept.

I bought both my boys' iPod Touch(x2) off CL and didn't have any issues with either. There was no way I could afford them new or refurbished at the time and took a risk. I thoroughly tested them before handing over the cash in, gasp, a parking lot!

I just was very specific in my needs when I searched. I have a wanted ad up now for an iPad 1st gen for my autistic oldest son. I think it is worth a tryout to see if anybody is upgrading and willing to part with an old one for cheap.

CL can be a great place to get used items, if you are thorough and careful about what you are buying. I wouldn't have half the stuff I have for daycare kids to play with & use if I didn't utilize perfectly good items that somebody else has no use for or outgrew. And I think it is quite closed minded to think that new or refurb is the only way to go. Very wasteful.

There you go espeed...the contrary opinion. For every comment one could make, there is always another point of view. Thank you Nakedbabytoes.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
[/Snip]CL can be a great place to get used items, if you are thorough and careful about what you are buying. I wouldn't have half the stuff I have for daycare kids to play with & use if I didn't utilize perfectly good items that somebody else has no use for or outgrew. And I think it is quite closed minded to think that new or refurb is the only way to go. Very wasteful.

Don't get me wrong. My wife and I are addicted to Kijiji, another buy and sell site. Our best buy so far was a pair of Mexican handmade tables that normally retail for $300 each. We got them for $50 for the pair. Electronics, though? Way too wary.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for the 30 or so golf clubs I'm trying to unload.

Anyway, OP, there you have it. Contrasting opinions. I guess you pay your money and you take your choice. Kijiji is great, btw, if it operates in your area. I know it's all over Canada. Don't know about anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I can get through to an actual person I've had good luck on CL. However, the last few times I've listed anything of value (iPhone 5, first gen Kindle Fire) the only responses I've gotten have been from scammers.

OP
E

espeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Fellas.. I think the biggest feat people have is dealing with scammers. Hence why I was looking for tips or hints on how others deal with them and still get the good deals :)

Thanks to the mods for jumping in as well and getting things moving!

sweaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just able to get a nice iPad 2 on CL. It tooks some luck with timing. There are many scam ads, usually directing you to one of thoses penny auction sites. You will get a response like "Sorry, I just sold it. However, this is how I was able to get iPads cheap..."

Most reactions

Latest posts