What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you keep previous photos after syncing new ones?

davidmt50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched around and for the life of me I cannot find how to keep previous photo albums loaded on Ipad when syncing new ones with iTunes. The old ones are wiped out every single time. What? I don't get to choose what's on my Ipad and what I don't? As far as I can see I have to get a third party app at this point. I want individual albums and not all of them grouped together and I then have hundreds of individual photos I have to search endlessly. If this has been posted before, I apologize, but I couldn't find an answer. I have a Windows PC. Thanks for the help.
David

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you sync with iTunes you do it by selecting folders. So you need to group your photos in folders that you can select on iTunes. The every time you have more pictures to add just add that folder to your list.

-alan-

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Dannyboy

I have several folders of photos I keep on my base computer. These folders contain pics of family, vacations, events, etc. and are labeled as such. These folders are kept within a folder I call "iPad Pics". I can add to or delete from these folders as I wish. Every time I sync my iPad I automatically have these folders sync to my iPad photos. Because all these pics are in separate folders, they show up on my iPad as separate albums. Remember, any pics you remove from these folders on your base computer will be removed from from your iPad next time you sync and any you add will be added to your iPad. Simple? or did I just confuse the hell out of you:confused:

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had these problem at first too. You are adding photos by selecting file, then add folders. Make sure youre device is connected, single click on your device, then a tab of options should appear at the top. Photos, apps, music, etc, etc. Click on folder, then search your folders from there. DO NOT Pull photos from file then load folders. Hope this helps. Im not at my pc or I would provide screenshots.

OP
D

davidmt50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it. I was choosing All Folders inside the Picture app and now I clicked on Selected Folders and picked the main folder on my computer I've labeled Ipad Photos. The loaded folders showed up below and I clicked all of them, then synced. The individual folders showed up fine, but one of the folders had five other folders inside. That folder opened all 61 photos instead of breaking them down into their own folders. It appears that the Ipad is very limited in the number of nested folders it will open appropriately. It would be nice to have several layers of folders to help reduce the number of picture folders you see on the device. I'm thinking I may need to go to a third party app to get what I want. If this is the case, anyone have a program that works well for them? Thanks again for the help.
David

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the itunes/ipad is able to locate and add folders within folders?

Mkrve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know how iTunes sync photos, and normaly thats ok, but...
For example, when i go on holiday, i do NOT bring my complete photo collection with me, but i do want to put some of the new photos on THE iPad without removing all THE photos that are on THE iPad. I know i can put them in à dcim folder on a sd Cardiff and use THE camera connection kit, but that does not work nice.

Is there a Windows programm or other way which let you just manualy sync pictures just like with manualy syncing audio in iTunes. So it just let you add folders with pictures without removing the old pictures.

Why is tuis so hard to do?????

nikon_bob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I have the same problem. Every time I sink a folder, the folder on the iPad is over written. The new folder does not retain it's name when uploaded to the iPad. All my photos are kept in different folders with different names not attached to a software like Photoshop.

OP
D

davidmt50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My main problem now is that Ipad does not appear to do nested folders beyond one level. Yes, on your computer you have a special folder you use to sync all of the folders inside this folder. My problem is if one of those folders has other folders (in other words, 3 levels of folders), it won't do anything but open all pictures in all of the folders. This leaves you with dozens of photos to look through without any folder albums to sort out different times, places, etc. Thanks for the help.
David

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts