What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you delete photos from an attached SD card?

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that when importing photos from an SD card you are offered the option of deleting them from the card but that's not what I want to do. I want to be able to import them and then view them all with a view to deleting from the SD card the ones I don't want to keep. Why would I want to do this when I can easily view and then delete them on the camera itself? Because the pictures aren't large enough on the camera for me to make the correct decision each time.
I can't see a way to do this with the built-in Photos app. Is there another app which provides this functionality?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a bad idea to delete photos on an SD card and then put it back in the camera. It can corrupt the file structure of the SD card, making it less reliable. It does not happen often, but if it does, Murphy will make sure it's during that once in a lifetime photo opportunity.

I now it's not what you want to hear, but all deleting and formatting of your camera's SD cards should be done on the camera. If you've been fooling with an SD card off camera, it's always a good idea to reformat it before your next shoot.

That said, you could import the photos and leave them on the camera, then view both the iPad and camera at the same time to decide what to delete. Not a good solution, I admit, but all I can think of at the moment.

OP
R

RedLenin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for that advice!

Does anyone else have any views on this?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RedLenin said:
Thank you very much for that advice!

Does anyone else have any views on this?

What twertypoet advised you is very true and appropriate. As he advised you, downloading files to the iPad and seeing which ones you want to remove because the iPad has a larger screen and then deleting the photos from the sd card through the iPad, is not a good workflow and could, as he advised render your card useless or cause your camera to not recognize the card, requiring you to format the card in the camera, and thus destroying any of the photos you had on the card in the first place.

A long time ago, I learned the lesson that twertypoet advised you. Fortunately, I copied all of the photos from that card into my iPad, and I was able to get the good and the bad off my iPad via iTunes to my PC where I recovered those files.

RedLenin, since this is your first posting, I welcome you here to this forum. You will soon receive a more formal welcome from our moderators.

Most reactions