What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you convert movies to take full advantage of the retina display on ipad3?

StandardGenius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like what is above.
I don't know how to covert my movies to the right size on the new iPad.
Please help!

OP
S

StandardGenius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chris198810 said:
Exactly, you can change your video to Full HD video with 1920*1080 in H.264 MP4; convert video to HD 1280*720 in H.264 MP4, or 640*480 in H.264 MP4, all the vidoe size according to your source video. For example, if your you rip DVD movie to the new iPad, 640*480 is enough due to the native resolution of the DVD. By the way, what's video convert tool you use, the program I am using is Brorsoft Video Converter my friend recommend me. It works well all the time.

I use leawo video converter. I don't know any other good ones. If their are any better ones could you share them with me.

backudog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use xilisoft video convertor ultimate and it worked fine for my ipad2. just gotta wait for my ipad 3 to arrive so i can use it again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Handbrake will make this easy if you just ensure you sourse is 1080. However, I'm not sure you really want to do this. On such a small display, you can't see the difference in 1080 or 720 at typical viewing distance. It's a waste of storage, IMO, plus all you transfer times go up.

Maya0724

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I download a lot of .mkv files that are 1080p and I convert using perian and apple QuickTime pro. I export as a .mp4 but as a pass through so the video is untouched and the audio is converted from dts to acc. The image on the retina is remarkable because you aren't recompressing the video.

John Adams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should it take 2-3 hours to convert a movie? I've used DVD Fab and now the trial version of Brorsoft. Both take forever.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Should it take 2-3 hours to convert a movie? I've used DVD Fab and now the trial version of Brorsoft. Both take forever.

It depends on what you are asking it to do. It can be any where from a bit-perfect copy put in an MKV wrapper from optical media (short, but large files) to a full-blown multi-pass transcode in high profile (long, but small files). Generally, other than bit-perfect copies (which take lots of space when coming off a blu-ray), high-quality transcodes (which compress the content coming off optical media) take a really long time...longer on slower computers, too.

L

Lunar

I tried a 2nd blueray movie today, and it took almost 2.5 hours. Desktop PC has plenty of grunt, cpu is i7 2600K @5ghz with a 580GTX and 16gb dd3 memory, with 2x SSD drives raided + 2gb WD black series Data drive, so certainly not slow.

Normally standard dvd film rips take around 20mins depending on size & rip settings for a 2hr film and usually are about 1gb in size and look good on the iPad. Having now ripped 2 bluray films, although obviously image quality is better on the iPad3 I really don't think I shall be doing any more. I just don't think the extra quality achieved justifies the extra time to rip blurays and also the 3 or 4 times increase in file size.

If it's a film I intend to put on the iPad I'm tending more these days to check the films aspect ratio figures on the rear of the DVD boxes before buying, as the iPad is 4x3 aspect some of these modern day releases which are often on 2.40 aspect are really going to be difficult to convert without having large black bars top/bottom, yes you can open them up, or lose the aspect ratio in conversion to get something fuller. Standard widescreen 1.78 and old 4/3 films are obviously not a problem, but these 2.40 aspect releases do mean you'll likely have the bars top/bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions