What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we really know we bought a iPad4? Where is it noted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now in plain English just what was that double speak? The picture must show something, are you going on iPad defence? If so I hardly think it is really needed.

Here is iPad2 on left iPad 4th Gen. on right.

I may not fully understand what your question is now in regards to comparing the two. If you want to see the retina display in all its glory simply go to a webpage with text and zoom in all the way. You will see very little pixleation when compared to the iPad 2. Or head over to the wallpaper section and look at some of the wallpapers that are meant for the retina iPad's and you can clearly see the display is much greater than that of the iPad 2.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I said nothing could be gleaned (determined) due to the very low resolution of the picture (800x600). There was no double speak. I was simply stating a fact.

Furthermore your picture didn't level the playing field for both devices. While yes you used the same picture on both, you didn't set the brightness to the same cd/m2. Plus the fact that you allowed an extra light source (the reflection at the bottom of the Samsung tablet) to appear means you further contaminated the ability to discern any differences properly.

So if you want to demonstrate something you should at least setup a common condition for both devices and use a very high resolution camera. Preferably one with at least 12 megapixels. Don't post a PNG or JPG. Because those two introduce artifacting (pixelatation). You should use a TIFF that is uncompressed.

Also to get some really good color data, you would also need to take a picture of a color chart so that your camera's color calibration and moire pattern tendency can be removed from the equation.

OH a heads up, I have been used as an expert in digital photography authenticity and manipulation in the past. I might know a thing or two on the subject matter ;)
expert in digital photography authenticity and manipulation
Ggggggg

Last edited:
OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I may not fully understand what your question is now in regards to comparing the two. If you want to see the retina display in all its glory simply go to a webpage with text and zoom in all the way. You will see very little pixleation when compared to the iPad 2. Or head over to the wallpaper section and look at some of the wallpapers that are meant for the retina iPad's and you can clearly see the display is much greater than that of the iPad 2.

I will do this thanks.

I put a page from USA Today on both screens, and yes the iPad 4th Gen text is plainly a lot clearer then the iPad2.

Last edited:

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Skull One said:
Ok. Now I am going to have some fun with this and get REALLY technical.

First and foremost - NO DUH! on video content. Lets think about this for a second....

Most streaming HD is done at 720P. That means there are 720 scan lines of pixel information shown 60 times a second. The iPad 2 display size is 1024x768. The HD spec for 720P is 1280x720. So that means the iPad already HAS the number of lines needed to display the content with no degradation. (All of you screaming in the background, hush! I am about to get to that part. Sheesh).

Now at this point you should counter with "But Skull One, the width is different hence it has to shrink the video to fit and you are losing lines of resolution". Yeppers, you are spot on. But here is the counter to that and where life gets really interesting. Every iPad app is written for the iPad 2 resolution. There is no if, ands or buts to that statement. Which means unless the developer SPECIFICALLY wrote EXTRA CODE to handle the 2048x1536 resolution every single iPad app will look exactly the same way, save for text, on both devices. IE don't blame your iPad. Blame the DEVELOPER for not taking the time to update their app for the extra graphic power the iPad 3 and 4 provide.

And which map application are you having an issue with? Because I am willing to bet I can show exactly why it is possible to be slower on the 4 than the 2.

Wow! Thank you for an informative post.

I don't have your tech background, so please forgive my beginner-level question: Are the apps updated to take advantage of the iPad 3's Retina Display still geared towards the iPad 2? I don't get it.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really did try on both pictures to adjust the brightness equally I wanted to get the best picture of both screens. If I have failed sir "expert in digital photography authenticity and manipulation" It was not as if I tried any manipulation's. Oh the pictures were taken with a Canon G15 in Auto Mode with no attempt to try any great photo taking or any rework with software just plain Jain jpg files.

There is a huge misunderstanding. I didn't say "You" were the issue. You did what you thought was good enough and I have no issue with that. What I have been saying is that picture you posted has too many issues to be used as a benchmark for doing a proper comparison. No more, no less. And your Canon G15 is perfect for the exercise since it is a 12 megapixel camera. But you need to post the uncompressed full size picture (not a 800x600 jpg) to be of any use in a differential analysis.

Basically, I dislike subjective opinions against a flawed piece of data. Would rather have something concrete to work with that can be proven factual by multiple sources. That's it.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a huge misunderstanding. I didn't say "You" were the issue. You did what you thought was good enough and I have no issue with that. What I have been saying is that picture you posted has too many issues to be used as a benchmark for doing a proper comparison. No more, no less. And your Canon G15 is perfect for the exercise since it is a 12 megapixel camera. But you need to post the uncompressed full size picture (not a 800x600 jpg) to be of any use in a differential analysis.

Basically, I dislike subjective opinions against a flawed piece of data. Would rather have something concrete to work with that can be proven factual by multiple sources. That's it.

I nevnot my intent.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for an informative post.

I don't have your tech background, so please forgive my beginner-level question: Are the apps updated to take advantage of the iPad 3's Retina Display still geared towards the iPad 2? I don't get it.

Lets take a game that most of us have all played. Angry Birds.

There are two version in the App Store. One for the iPad and one for the iPhone/iPod Touch. So lets look at the iPad version only. It will run on an iPad 1, 2, Mini, 3rd Gen and 4th Gen. The iPad 1, 2 and Mini all use the 1024x768 resolution screen and the 3rd and 4th gen use the 2048x1536 resolution.

Now Apple set the XCode development system up in such a way that the developer only has to write one piece of code to work on both versions of the screen resolution. The only thing extra they need to do is provide two sets of graphics. So lets take one of the birds, the red one. Lets say it is 32x32 pixels in size. This will be the version used for the iPad 1, 2 and Mini. So then for the 3rd and 4th gen they provide a graphic that is 64x64 (double the "resolution"). So using pseudo or English equivalent code lets show what that might look like.

Bird = GetGraphicAsset("redbird")
Draw(Bird, 100, 150)

Now remember I said that the software developer only has to write the code once and it will work on all versions of the iPad. Now for the magic that makes this happen.

When the GetGraphicAsset command executes, iOS looks at the hardware it is running on. If the screen resolution is 1024x768 it will look for redbird.png (the 32x32 version) and is done. But if the screen resolution comes back as 2048x1536 it takes the "redbird" and appends @2x to the file name and instead loads [email protected] (the 64x64 version) and is done. One piece of code, but two different results based on the resolution it is running under. And this happens on the iPhone as well. In fact a universal program can have up to 4 sets of graphics because of this.

Hopefully that shows you what is happening "behind the curtain".

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lets take a game that most of us have all played. Angry Birds.

There are two version in the App Store. One for the iPad and one for the iPhone/iPod Touch. So lets look at the iPad version only. It will run on an iPad 1, 2, Mini, 3rd Gen and 4th Gen. The iPad 1, 2 and Mini all use the 1024x768 resolution screen and the 3rd and 4th gen use the 2048x1536 resolution.

Now Apple set the XCode development system up in such a way that the developer only has to write one piece of code to work on both versions of the screen resolution. The only thing extra they need to do is provide two sets of graphics. So lets take one of the birds, the red one. Lets say it is 32x32 pixels in size. This will be the version used for the iPad 1, 2 and Mini. So then for the 3rd and 4th gen they provide a graphic that is 64x64 (double the "resolution"). So using pseudo or English equivalent code lets show what that might look like.

Bird = GetGraphicAsset("redbird")
Draw(Bird, 100, 150)

Now remember I said that the software developer only has to write the code once and it will work on all versions of the iPad. Now for the magic that makes this happen.

When the GetGraphicAsset command executes, iOS looks at the hardware it is running on. If the screen resolution is 1024x768 it will look for redbird.png (the 32x32 version) and is done. But if the screen resolution comes back as 2048x1536 it takes the "redbird" and appends @2x to the file name and instead loads [email protected] (the 64x64 version) and is done. One piece of code, but two different results based on the resolution it is running under. And this happens on the iPhone as well. In fact a universal program can have up to 4 sets of graphics because of this.

Hopefully that shows you what is happening "behind the curtain".

Thanks for the Info. and the insight.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now class there will be a test tomorrow on what you learned from Skull One so I suggest studying really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions