What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we really know we bought a iPad4? Where is it noted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WoW....
If your that skeptical of Apple why did you even risk purchasing one?
The plug has the new lightning connector so I know I'm good......no concerns.

Can you imagine the reprocussions if Apple did something like you suggest?
Use it and enjoy.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I am just comparing my IPad2 and my iPad4 and looking at the screens I do not see any difference when viewing my HD videos and looking at live T.V. Connect from Cox. also maps look about the same. And it seems the map refresh is slower filling of the screen with the iPad4. My searching the Net. seem about the same speed times. It just does not seem that there is any improvement from my old iPad2 with the so called "4th Gen" iPad4. I have till the 22nd of Nov. to return it, and my Major Credit Card to protect me. I am just wondering if it's Apple marketing or a real upgrade the iPad "4th Gen" iPad4 really is.

And that is just it...you are entitled to say how you feel, but am just wondering why you have chosen to pursue the purchase of the iPad 4 and have such comparative issues between the two devices. Your posts have all geared towards dissatisfaction. Members can only help so much. It is up to you whether you like or dislike this device and the choice is yours to return it if necessary.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just comparing my IPad2 and my iPad4 and looking at the screens I do not see any difference when viewing my HD videos and looking at live T.V. Connect from Cox. also maps look about the same. And it seems the map refresh is slower filling of the screen with the iPad4. My searching the Net. seem about the same speed times. It just does not seem that there is any improvement from my old iPad2 with the so called "4th Gen" iPad4. I have till the 22nd of Nov. to return it, and my Major Credit Card to protect me. I am just wondering if it's Apple marketing or a real upgrade the iPad "4th Gen" iPad4 really is.

A lot of streaming TV is 720p. You shouldn't expect to see much if any difference between the two. If you have a 1080p version of your HD video you may be able to see a difference when playing it on the two machines. The biggest difference is just looking at the screen. The higher resolution is obvious in the smoothness of the graphics. If you look at photographs that have enough pixels (2048-by-1536) then you should see a huge difference in viewing them on the two machines. If you still feel the iPad4 isn't offering you more than your iPad2 then by all means return it and get your money back. I have passed my old iPad2 down to my spouse so have looked at the two side by side and see obvious differences.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Ok. Now I am going to have some fun with this and get REALLY technical.

First and foremost - NO DUH! on video content. Lets think about this for a second....

Most streaming HD is done at 720P. That means there are 720 scan lines of pixel information shown 60 times a second. The iPad 2 display size is 1024x768. The HD spec for 720P is 1280x720. So that means the iPad already HAS the number of lines needed to display the content with no degradation. (All of you screaming in the background, hush! I am about to get to that part. Sheesh).

Now at this point you should counter with "But Skull One, the width is different hence it has to shrink the video to fit and you are losing lines of resolution". Yeppers, you are spot on. But here is the counter to that and where life gets really interesting. Every iPad app is written for the iPad 2 resolution. There is no if, ands or buts to that statement. Which means unless the developer SPECIFICALLY wrote EXTRA CODE to handle the 2048x1536 resolution every single iPad app will look exactly the same way, save for text, on both devices. IE don't blame your iPad. Blame the DEVELOPER for not taking the time to update their app for the extra graphic power the iPad 3 and 4 provide.

And which map application are you having an issue with? Because I am willing to bet I can show exactly why it is possible to be slower on the 4 than the 2.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the new ipad is being marketed as an iPad with retina display, and with a few improvements, what col.bris called a speed bump.

It's only here that the numbers are used, for our convenience. Apple never mention the iPad 3 or 4.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the new ipad is being marketed as an iPad with retina display, and with a few improvements, what col.bris called a speed bump.

It's only here that the numbers are used, for our convenience. Apple never mention the iPad 3 or 4.

LOL. I was ->' '<- that close to typing something like that up.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score

For what it's worth you can run a simple browser benchmark such as broswermark and compare the two. It will give you a little bit of an indication as to the difference in capabilities of the two devices. However in simple web browsing you will not notice much of a difference. My iPad 3rd generation usually gets a score of around 126,000 and my 4s is usually around 109,000. At the Apple store I did one on the 4th gen iPad and it was over 200,000.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I plan on setting the new iPad 4th Gen. up next to my Galaxy 10.1 note, and see how they compare to my eyes. Now the Galaxy is around $200+US dollars less then the Apple iPad 4th Gen. So this will really be a one sided test? Maybe not..Now don't go getting me wrong, Apples iPads have been and still are solid great preforming tablets, my questing things is just to see what the curbstone opinion is. I saw little harm in posting my questions correct?

It seems like you already know the answer to your questions that you have posted, but just searching for what others will say.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No harm at all. But I will say you are showing a knee jerk reaction to something you don't understand. Your video statement is the perfect example to that effect. You might want to quantify a little better what your real concern is. IE do you simply think you overpaid for you iPad 4 and you are trying to justify its existence? Because that could be an interesting discussion. But insinuating that Apple may be doing something underhanded after releasing the iPad 4, that just doesn't fly.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And all that pictures shows is the typical tendency of Samsung of using a highly reflective protective screen for the LCD panel (just like their TVs).

Otherwise because the original picture was taken in a low resolution and then further shrunk down to its current resolution, there is really nothing you can glean from the comparison that could even be considered objective or factual.

OP
I

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And all that pictures shows is the typical tendency of Samsung of using a highly reflective protective screen for the LCD panel (just like their TVs).

Otherwise because the original picture was taken in a low resolution and then further shrunk down to its current resolution, there is really nothing you can glean from the comparison that could even be considered objective or factual.

Now in plain English just what was that double speak? The picture must show something, are you going on iPad defence? If so I hardly think it is really needed.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now in plain English just what was that double speak? The picture must show something, are you going on iPad defence? If so I hardly think it is really needed.

I said nothing could be gleaned (determined) due to the very low resolution of the picture (800x600). There was no double speak. I was simply stating a fact.

Furthermore your picture didn't level the playing field for both devices. While yes you used the same picture on both, you didn't set the brightness to the same cd/m2. Plus the fact that you allowed an extra light source (the reflection at the bottom of the Samsung tablet) to appear means you further contaminated the ability to discern any differences properly.

So if you want to demonstrate something you should at least setup a common condition for both devices and use a very high resolution camera. Preferably one with at least 12 megapixels. Don't post a PNG or JPG. Because those two introduce artifacting (pixelatation). You should use a TIFF that is uncompressed.

Also to get some really good color data, you would also need to take a picture of a color chart so that your camera's color calibration and moire pattern tendency can be removed from the equation.

OH a heads up, I have been used as an expert in digital photography authenticity and manipulation in the past. I might know a thing or two on the subject matter ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts