What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I stop one word from being auto-capitalised when typing it on my iPad?

Neon Leon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Newbie forum user, first post :eek:

For some reason every time I type the word colour in an email on my iPad (even if mid-sentence), it auto-corrects to Colour (with a capital "C").

I'm happy with auto-correct apart from this one flaw. I can't find an auto-correct dictionary within the iPad's Settings to fix this problem.

- I don't want to turn auto-correct off completely.
- I've re-set the keyboard dictionary and that hasn't fixed the problem.
- And I don't want to have to hit the 'x' every time I type the word 'color' and my iPad suggests capitalizing the 'c'. I simply want it to stop suggesting a capital C whenever I type the word colour in the middle of a sentence.

How can I do this? Please help! Any suggestions much appreciated.....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You might have to hit the X for a while, until auto-correct learns what you are likely to want. Eventually it does learn.

OP
N

Neon Leon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might have to hit the X for a while, until auto-correct learns what you are likely to want. Eventually it does learn.

Thanks. I've tried that too - for what I thought would have been enough times for it to learn by now. Maybe I have to keep going....

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea how many times I've typed the words that autocorrect has learned. All I know is that there are words in it's dictionary with capitalizations that could not possibly have been there from the beginning, so my advice is to stick with it. Eventually, it will learn.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish Apple would add an "add to dictionary" feature like Firefox's spellcheck feature does.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
I wish Apple would add an "add to dictionary" feature like Firefox's spellcheck feature does.

Wouldn't hurt, would it? I was hoping iOS 6 might do it but it didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to safari, ipad users guide, search auto correct, scroll to the bottom and it tells you how to add a word to the key board dictionary

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can always add a shortcut for a word under Settings - General - Keyboard - Add New Shortcut

Add just the phrase without the shortcut then auto capitalize will stop capitalizing it mid sentence.

OP
N

Neon Leon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have anybody named Colour in your Contacts?

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it! One of my contacts has the job title "Designer & Colour Consultant". Capitalization problem has been fixed, but now every time I type the word "colour" it auto-fills to "colourful" :mad:

Thanks to everyone else for the great replies on my original post, I'll try to fix the new problem with some of the suggestions you've all given me. Cheers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And I though I was joking, mostly.

I turned off auto-correct a long time ago. I prefer to make my own mistakes. Well, except on the iPhone where the extra speed is worth a few mistakes; but I'm also relying on dictation more and more, especially on the iPhone.

Most reactions