What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I push my IPAD screen to an LCD Projector?

tvpitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an IPAD 1.
I'm a teacher and want to push the screen to my NEC VT470 LCD Projector.
I have bought BOTH cables from Apple. 1.) VGA to 15 pin connector 2. RCA plug to red,white,yellow RCA plug.

Both cables give me a black screen and "no input" flag. My screen is usually blue, so I know SOMETHING is getting there.

Any help?

Dr. Pitruzzello

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have an IPAD 1.
I'm a teacher and want to push the screen to my NEC VT470 LCD Projector.
I have bought BOTH cables from Apple. 1.) VGA to 15 pin connector 2. RCA plug to red,white,yellow RCA plug.

Both cables give me a black screen and "no input" flag. My screen is usually blue, so I know SOMETHING is getting there.

Any help?

Dr. Pitruzzello

Ipad 1 will not work with a projector for most apps. You need to have ipad 2 or later to do this. At this point, wait for the iPad 3 out very soon.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
It does work on iPad 1.
I have used the VGA cable personally with my iPad 1.

What is happening is that the iPad will not just show EVERYTHING as it is on the screen. Only things like video or apps that explicityly have the option to output to the external display will work.

Try playing a video when connected to the projector, it will not display on the iPad screen itself but instead play the video on the projector.

I know they won't give you the funds for this (I'm a tech for public schools, we get no money for technology. My school is full of projectors with burnt out light bulbs because the light bulbs are not cheap.) but if you were to have an iPad 2 (or iPad 3) and also an Apple TV. You could connect the tiny apple TV to the projector and then display everything on the iPad screen through the projector wirelessly via the built in AirPlay Mirroring technology. This would allow you to project everything exactly as you see it on the screen and leave you free to walk around with the iPad in your hands.

Last edited:
OP
T

tvpitz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers. I figured as much, regardless of what the kids at the Apple Store told me. I'll wait for the IPAD 3 to come out. But then I'll still need WiFi or Broadband, yes? My current IPAD is pretty much usless without an ongoing Internet connection, even if I download everything ahead of time.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thanks for your answers. I figured as much, regardless of what the kids at the Apple Store told me. I'll wait for the IPAD 3 to come out. But then I'll still need WiFi or Broadband, yes? My current IPAD is pretty much usless without an ongoing Internet connection, even if I download everything ahead of time.

yes you would need WiFi at the school to access any online features unless you purchase a 3G model. With a 3G iPad model you will be able to pay for internet when ever you need it by purchasing a month of internet data at a time (no contracts). AT&T 3G iPads have much cheaper internet data plans compared to the Verizon iPads.

Downloaded videos can be played back without any internet connection however streaming online movies from places like youtube or school tube will not work. Also keep in mind that if your school is blocking sites like youtube, they will still be blocked when connecting to the schools internet from the iPad.

Reaction score
iPad 1 will mirror to a projector and tv, but you have to jailbreak it (look up forum topic for that). Displayout (download via Cydia) works seamlessly. You have to have a cable attachment though, I have tried vga, rca and hdmi adapters - all work, but I found the hdmi adapter provided the best quality on my tv anyway (also has sound). It works well with a dvi to hdmi on a projector. I was hoping to be able to do this wirelessly via apple tv, but haven't been able to mirror - but it does enable me to use my ipad to display video and play music over my tv and sound system (very cool). I am still looking for a solution to mirror iPad 1 to my tv (note that iPhone 4S and iPad 2 do mirror through airplay). It would be GREAT for presentations. In the process by the way, I found Airparrot, which allows you to stream your macbook screen to a tv, should work with a projector as well.

joeychen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you get an ipad 2 or 3, you can display your ipad onto a TV or projector wirelessly using the wipad pro.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
You could connect the tiny apple TV to the projector and then display everything on the iPad screen through the projector wirelessly via the built in AirPlay Mirroring technology.

This looks like the solution I've been looking for to liberate myself from cables. It looks like I also need an HDMI cable to connect the Apple TV to the projector and I'd also need a wifi connection. Is it possible to use 3G instead of wifi?

(I have an iPad 2.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts