What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Get 'GoodReader' back?

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't know how else to counter an issue I was having with GoodReader, so I deleted it from my IPad, intentioned upon re-installing it. What had happened is as follows:

I had put some PDF documents on the IPad for my wife (to while away the time between some of her collegiate classes, tomorrow) and had pulled a couple of them up to see if they would indeed display properly. While checking one of them out, I happened to accidentally hit one of the buttons that was revealed in the Menu panel, which displays when you tap at the bottom corner of the screen. The page then turned a light tan color, with (what appeared to be) a reddish, brown color for the text. I attempted to return to the basic display coloring by tapping on the same lower portion of the screen. But I could not get the 'Menu' panel to present itself long enough for me to choose an option. It would show, but so very briefly that I could not select anything within it. So I uninstalled GoodReader.

I had thought that going back to the App, in the App Store, would be all that I had to do; figuring that I could just re-download it freely. But there was notice of 'Buying' it.

How do I go about getting it back?

Also, I hope that I haven't fouled things up, with my IPad, because (ever since then) I have been faced with notification of my IPad not being able to be synced.

UPDATE:

Things are back to normal, now. After detaching & reattaching my IPad to the PC, I found that there was no longer an issue with syncing. Also, after dancing around a bit within iTunes, I was able to see that GoodReader was indeed there. I just had to tick the box next to it. But thanks anyway.

Last edited:

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had thought that going back to the App, in the App Store, would be all that I had to do; figuring that I could just re-download it freely. But there was notice of 'Buying' it.

How do I go about getting it back?

Nathan, If you have to manually download again from the app store, if you're signed in under the same account you bought it with originally, it will tell you that you have already purchased the app - after you hit the "buy it". I know, sounds kind of wonky, but it doesn't charge you twice. You click to buy to be told you have bought. Hope that makes sense.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. It turned out that I was able to get things straight from within iTunes. But your information is, none the less, something worth keeping in one's mindset - and that is something that I will certainly do :

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You use the same technique to install same apps on 2 different Ipads, even using 2 computers. I bought my Ipad last May and my husband's in August. I registered both with same Apple password. This makes it possible to not rebuy essentials like Goodreader, Office HD, Pages, Noteshelf, and many many more. There are lots of apps that he doesn't choose to have but he can..... And he has a few I'm not interested in so I don't install.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You use the same technique to install same apps on 2 different Ipads, even using 2 computers. I bought my Ipad last May and my husband's in August. I registered both with same Apple password. This makes it possible to not rebuy essentials like Goodreader, Office HD, Pages, Noteshelf, and many many more. There are lots of apps that he doesn't choose to have but he can..... And he has a few I'm not interested in so I don't install.

Thanks Diane. Your information is also very enlightening, as I will be getting another IPad (so my wife can have one) just as soon as is financially feasible.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's very reassuring to know that apple keeps a close check on the apps you bought. Indeed with that and the fact the iPad is so reliable I ceased to bother syncing either of ours.
All our important docs, vids, and photos are synced wirelessly between our machines and anything else is streamed.
Madness I know, but I'm never done backing up to external hard drives with the others.
The greatest freedom the iPad gives is no longer having to be your own IT department.....

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's very reassuring to know that apple keeps a close check on the apps you bought. Indeed with that and the fact the iPad is so reliable I ceased to bother syncing either of ours.
All our important docs, vids, and photos are synced wirelessly between our machines and anything else is streamed.
Madness I know, but I'm never done backing up to external hard drives with the others.
The greatest freedom the iPad gives is no longer having to be your own IT department.....

If you're not syncing, I would suggest taking screenshots of all of your home pages. (Hold on your iPad 'Home' button, then hold the sleep-wake button button at the same time. You'll hear a camera click.) That way you won't forget your apps and you'll know the layout you had.

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the great things now for the iTunes store and the iPad, is that if you have bought an app, but it is not installed on your iPad, the "price" window will show "Install" rather than the price, so you don't even have to remember... This is a great new feature, and I am hoping it will migrate to the PC and to the iPhone. I own quite a number of apps, and I hate having to look through my apps directory to see whether or not I own it. With the iPad, I can totally forget about it, as iTunes remembers for me, and gives me a visual icon which shows me I had previously purchased.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should be cautious about deleting GoodReader, or any other app that stores files locally on the iPad. The files will be removed with the app. Make sure you have a good backup, or that the files are all available elsewhere first.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You should be cautious about deleting GoodReader, or any other app that stores files locally on the iPad. The files will be removed with the app. Make sure you have a good backup, or that the files are all available elsewhere first.

Good point. Thanks.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
writerranger said:
If you're not syncing, I would suggest taking screenshots of all of your home pages. (Hold on your iPad 'Home' button, then hold the sleep-wake button button at the same time. You'll hear a camera click.) That way you won't forget your apps and you'll know the layout you had.

Neat. That's something that I really didn't know. Thanks.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just save myself the trouble. I sync once a day, at night, before bed. It helps that I also have an iPhone so I use the same charger. I then remove the iPad and I charge the iPad on a separate charger as it needs to. But from day one, I have made it a habit to just keep my devices synced, that way, everything is always backed up.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just save myself the trouble. I sync once a day, at night, before bed. It helps that I also have an iPhone so I use the same charger. I then remove the iPad and I charge the iPad on a separate charger as it needs to. But from day one, I have made it a habit to just keep my devices synced, that way, everything is always backed up.

A good practice, and one that I will adopt.

Most reactions