What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I connect to my networked PC from my iPad?

new dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see my networked HP Printer, connect to the Web through my network, but I cannot see my computer or any other networked computer. Have no trouble seeing PC using XP laptop.
I want to download files from PC to view on iPad using App like Good Reader, using WiFi, not USB.
Thanks.
ND

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly, Apple does not want you to do this sort of thing. It is possible on an Android tablet. You have to use iTunes on the PC and sync the PC and iPad that way, and that can be doe wirelessly. But if you expect to browse your network, open a share on the PC, pick files to copy, prepare to be disappointed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are apps that will let you do this. I can't think of the name for one, but I have an app for this. If I can find it, I will post it.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would have thought GoodReader could do the trick, so long as the shares were set-up on the PC. Will have to check that out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
new dawg said:
I can see my networked HP Printer, connect to the Web through my network, but I cannot see my computer or any other networked computer. Have no trouble seeing PC using XP laptop.
I want to download files from PC to view on iPad using App like Good Reader, using WiFi, not USB.
Thanks.
ND

Why not use dropbox or a personal cloud ?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I managed to get it working using FileBrowser. Took me a while, but got it working based on the local IP address of said PC. Dont worry about shared folder names, just use the computer's Ip only. You will need a valid log-in to access.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader will do this. Just tap the little wi-fi looking icon at the bottom of the screen (next to the camera icon); then go to a web browser on the computer and enter the supplied IP-address in the URL field.

It's not fancy, but it does work.

Both the iPad and computer must be on the same network, of course.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
GoodReader will do this. Just tap the little wi-fi looking icon at the bottom of the screen (next to the camera icon); then go to a web browser on the computer and enter the supplied IP-address in the URL field.

I forget about the wifi interface on many apps. That way specific file types can be moved to the app intended for use. Eg. AVIs to OPlayerHD or AVPlayerHD , docs and spreadsheets to QuickOffice Pro HD, etc.

Dropbox is my preferred, especially away from home.

hunted01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I understand correct ? I use a app called Pocketcloud you can connect from your iPad and control your Mac or Windows PC.
Hope this helps

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In that case, you'd have to sit at the PC you were presumably trying to avoid, and push the file to the iPad via a web interface. Maybe I misunderstood his question, and that he is really trying to avoid USB and iTunes(who wouldn't).
I pictured him sitting on his deck with the iPad and suddenly wanting to access a file that isn't on the iPad, and not wanting to get up to do anything about it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
kierandill said:
In that case, you'd have to sit at the PC you were presumably trying to avoid, and push the file to the iPad via a web interface. Maybe I misunderstood his question, and that he is really trying to avoid USB and iTunes(who wouldn't).
I pictured him sitting on his deck with the iPad and suddenly wanting to access a file that isn't on the iPad, and not wanting to get up to do anything about it.

In which case you can set up SFTP service on the computer an use GoodReader or one of several other apps to access it.

There is also a NAS solution, but I'm less familiar with that set up

Most reactions