What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can my iPad 3 access my network drives?

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Wi-Drive that sort of works. I have a Seagate Goflex that also sort of works.

I am totally confused by it all.

Talking about servers, SAMBA and FTP and accessing by this and that method.

I have decided to take things one at a time. I am going to forget the Wi-Drive and the Goflex for the moment as they work well enough through my stumbling around with them for my immediate needs.

I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 64bit with 3 or 4 networked drives. I also have a Windows 7 64bit laptop which happily accesses these networked drives.

I have read in this forum that Apple doesn't support this and then someone else says you can do this and that with this and that App which then can access your networked drives and/or NAS :p :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can my 64Gb WiFi only iPad 3 access my networked drives with or without added Apps? In simple terms, assuming no prior knowledge....

My iPad accesses my network okay, the same network that the desktop and the laptop are on.

Like I said I am totally confused

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a computer per se

You cannot access network drives with it. I have both an AirStash and a Seagate Go Flex Satellite, both of which work seamlessly with my iPads for external storage of videos and still images. Both work flawlessly via their own internal wifi (not at all network related), one 64 GB and the other 500 GB.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
You cannot access network drives with it.

what?

Of course you can. Two apps I use for this are Goodreader and FileBrowser. Now when the term "network drive" is bandied about, I think of NAS type drives via the network. I understand that the OP is talking about "shared" drives from their Windows 7 machine, which FileBrowser does.

I think FileBrowser just had an update that made this sort of thing even easier, but I have not checked it out yet. When I get a chance, I may skitch the set-up for a shared folder.

leirdal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have been using filebrowser for a long time, works great, if you are using linux file servers, you need to set a compatibility setting in the config for that share, but except for that it works very well.

Regards
Jon Leirdal
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use FileBrowser to access my NAS drive. I also sync a folder from my NAS to Goodreader, for reference files I often use on the road.

Most reactions

Latest posts