What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how can I watch

ziggytex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm totally new to the iPad world and I need help - on my pc I watch videos on bloomberg and cnbc but when I connect to these sites on my new iPad I'm unable to see any video. Do I need to download some apps to do that - thanx for any help.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Er, yeah, you probably just forgot to download the latest version of Flash. ;)

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Thats not helping him any, he is probably looking for a flash download now.

The sites your trying to view are most likely using flash to play the video's. The iPad doesn't support flash.

a company named RipCode is trying to make a workaround for this issue that works with the iPad.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude, but even now like 2.5 months after launch it's amazing that people still don't research/know about Flash on these devices.

It's like buying a Corvette and not realizing you have to put 91/93 octane in it, or buying a DVD player and not realizing until you get home that it doesn't play VHS or something. I just can't wrap my head around buying a $500 dollar (at the VERY cheapest) device before tax and accessories without reading at least ONE review of the product online. And there isn't a single review that doesn't mention Flash.

Back on topic...There is also a second company that is trying to make a work around as well. Smokescreen. I think they even started the process before Ripcode. At least, I saw the article on App Advice about Smokescreen a week or two before rip code.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ziggytex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the response to my post. I just got the iPad today and have already learn a lot (specially about flash :) )

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude, but even now like 2.5 months after launch it's amazing that people still don't research/know about Flash on these devices.

I'm totally cool wth the Flash issue, but I was pretty cheesed when I found out it didn't have Windows pre-installed! Once I find the USB port, I'll load it via CD-ROM, so no worries. Well, I'll probably need more RAM - anyone know where the upgrade slot is? :D

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's like buying a Corvette and not realizing you have to put 91/93 octane in it, or buying a DVD player and not realizing until you get home that it doesn't play VHS or something. I just can't wrap my head around buying a $500 dollar (at the VERY cheapest) device before tax and accessories without reading at least ONE review of the product online. And there isn't a single review that doesn't mention Flash.

Back on topic...There is also a second company that is trying to make a work around as well. Smokescreen. I think they even started the process before Ripcode. At least, I saw the article on App Advice about Smokescreen a week or two before rip code.

You have to realize if everyone knew everything about everything we wouldn't need to ask questions. Most people will not know about the flash issue until they start playing around with their new toy. For Apple to not support flash in my eyes is a total disregard for what people need today included. I understand there are new standards but flash is used heavily and will be for a while so Apple screwed up.

I have been playing with computers since 1979 but it took me 2 hours of digging before I knew I had to plug my new ipad into my computer and use itunes 9.1 etc to activate it. Another Apple dumb thing to do.

Anyways, I wouldn't keep telling people that they "should have known things" before they bought it cuz thats unrealistic.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is absolutely worthless, and furthermore my point wasn't that people lack knowledge, it's that they lack the ability to read ONE review about an expensive product they bought.

If you can't figure out how to add photos, fine, no big deal. If you buy an iPad not realizing it doesn't support Flash that pretty much means you didn't do a lick of research before buying a device that at its cheapest is around 500 plus tax. To me that is pretty odd, that people spend that kind of money on something and don't do any research on it. Because 99% of all reviews mention lack of Flash as a potential con. So when someone says "WTF this doesn't have Flash?!?!" to me that says that they either won the device, got it as a present, or didn't read a single review.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My first 286 didn't have flash and my current quadcore has flash blocked.....

Guess I'm lucky

If you listen to Steve Jobs they had to make a choice between battery life and flash. Flash lost.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And I'll take the battery life every second of every day. More people are switching to HTML5 now anyhow.

Including Flash would be like putting a cassette deck in car.

OP
Z

ziggytex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matth3w .... first of all - you are rude, PERIOD!!
The second - my iPad is a B-day gift, I love it and this forum is a great place to learn more about it.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matth3w .... first of all - you are rude, PERIOD!!
The second - my iPad is a B-day gift, I love it and this forum is a great place to learn more about it.
I never said you were an idiot or attacked you. As a matter of fact I specifically stated that the only people that don't know about it either didn't research or won it, or got it as a GIFT.

I was speaking in purely general terms actually responding to someone else.

Sorry if you took offense or if I was not clear enough, that wasn't my intention. Clearly this situation that I described doesn't apply to you because you got it as a gift. But you aren't the first person to wonder about Flash and there have been plenty that just straight up didn't do a lick of research. I was responding to epb's joking comment because he was indirectly joking about how many people don't know about the Flash thing.

But the last thing I will say, is if THAT offended you, you should really get thicker skin before venturing out into the world of internet message boards...just my experience that you have to have thick skin. The internet is a more difficult place to show and express emotion, and if you get offended over nothing like that, you will have a hard time on internet message boards. That's just a piece of advice and my .02 so if it doesn't apply to you or you don't care what I say, feel free to ignore it.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I think Flash should be supported if I wanted it. But I knew that it wasn't when I joined the Apple economy.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the problems with Flash I have read is that it does not interface well with a touchscreen device. The Flash applet or whatever you like to call it likes to look for the movement of the mouse regardless if your clicking or not.

PokerMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has been getting so much criticism over the iPhone and especially iPad not supporting flash that Steve Jobs wrote up a long explanation that is on Apple's site entitled Thoughts on Flash

Steve starts out by saying:

Apple has a long relationship with Adobe. In fact, we met Adobe’s founders when they were in their proverbial garage]. Apple was their first big customer, adopting their Postscript language for our new Laserwriter printer. Apple invested in Adobe and owned around 20% of the company for many years. The two companies worked closely together to pioneer

Jobs goes on to make 6 main points:

That flash isnt open (Didn't expect to hear that from Apple's CEO)

Most videos are available in H.264

Reliability, security and performance.

Doesn't work well with touch

Battery life

and concludes with his final reason:

Besides the fact that Flash is closed and proprietary, has major technical drawbacks, and doesn’t support touch based devices, there is an even more important reason we do not allow Flash on iPhones, iPods and iPads. We have discussed the downsides of using Flash to play video and interactive content from websites, but Adobe also wants developers to adopt Flash to create apps that run on our mobile devices.

We know from painful experience that letting a third party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in sub-standard apps

Most reactions

Latest posts