What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I stop an app update that's already started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in Africa, where my internet connection is limited to 10GB a month, so I've only been updating small apps so as to not use up my quota. Yesterday, I tapped on "Update All" in the Store app by mistake, so now about 20 updates are in the queue. Some of them are for huge apps, so I've paused all but a few. The problem with this is that I can't use those apps until the updates download and install.

Is there any way to stop (not pause) the updates so that I can use the apps?

Cheers,
boyson

Last edited:
OP
B

boyson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

That's pretty lame of Apple, but at least I'll be in Europe in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to resume the updates.

Killroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That kinda sucks

Well that is Exstremely lame...
I'm in Deer Harbor Wa where you only get BBX which is sketchy but all I got and I hit the button to and now my apps won't work to save my life and I'm would like to use them and so you know there is a way to stop them from updating first write the apps that are updating on a peice of paper then delete them unconventional but the only way... So if you really need to do that.

Other than that you're kinda on your own.

Killroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kinda makes me want to shoot my iPad... *BANG BANG BANG* aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh... Much better...

Killroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WAIT A SEC. they will stop over time if you disconnect your self from the Internet (I can't because I couldn't get back in) or if the Internet is slow enough it will stop automatically

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting your iPad (hold down power button till you get the slider, turn off, then power back up after)?

That's worked for me in a couple of instances, though not always, when an app has gotten hung while updating.

Killroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couldn't do that at the time

Every thing is fine now but that wasn't an option either because if I did that I wouldn't be able to access the Internets at all because I forgot the bxx password but now I am using a family member's computer who is using bbx and we have a antenna so now I get better signal (still is cruddy) but it'll do and they stopped updating I went out of the zone anyway then my family member got out there laptop and... Well you get the idea...........

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you can!

Just tap on the app icon that is loading and it will pause. If it is paused indefinitely then the update will stop. You can also switch to airplane mode to disconnect.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tap on the app icon that is loading and it will pause. If it is paused indefinitely then the update will stop. You can also switch to airplane mode to disconnect.

You can pause, but that freezes the app so you can't use it (stays in waiting mode, grayed out). But you can pause and then restart you iPad, then it cancels the update and you can use the un-updated app till you have a good Internet connection to update with. That would solve the OP's situation.

The other person, who couldn't disconnect from his Internet connection because of a forgotten password, sorry, you had an issue that is strange and isolated.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how can i cancel or pause the update? cause the only way i can pause mine is to deactivate wifi.. but then im stuck in offline mode :/

Pavan Jakati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Switching to airplane mode to doesn't stop the app from updating !!!!!:thumbsdown: that's total lame of apple

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread was started in 2010. At this point it is used by date. In addition updates were completed in iTunes not over the air and iTunes as we have today. Apple is not lame ...... One should not stop updates in mid flight as you can brick the device if you are not careful.

I don't care what platform you use Apple, Microsoft android or what ever it is not recommended.

With that this thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts