What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I speed up my network ?

robert5555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to get a faster network but I've heard since tablets are wifi the speed of network doesn't matter and so far when I use library or university networks I don't see much difference in speed.
I have the slowest speed available from my DSL supplier and a Netgear 3100 wireless router.Both were on the inexpensive end.
Most of the time things work smoothly but when more than 1 tablet accesses it,then it starts slowing down and while streaming or downloading may get kicked off or see the error screen.
If anyone could suggest a faster wifi router or other devices that might speed things up,please reply.
I don't have much downloaded on my tablet so it's not too much software slowing things down.
I have 8.4GB of memory left which doesn't make since for it says I've only used 3.4GB and this is supposed to have 16GB so where's the missing 4.2GB? Since 16-(8.4+3.4)=4.2

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since even slow wi-fi routers are almost always faster than your internet connection, upgrading the router rarely has a dramatic effect on network speeds. The biggest bonus of a faster wi-fi router is when you stream things locally, on you home network.

That said, a modern router can improve your inernet experience in other, less obviouls ways; reliabilty, range etc. Depending on your situation, those things may not matter, or be noticable.

Now if your router is really old, like over 7 years old, this may not be true. It should be worth upgrading just for the improved security.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As for you iPad's storage.

A 16 GB iPad will use up 3 to 4 GB on the operating system. That probably accounts for most of your missing storage. There are other things that use up storage in a simi-termporary fasion, and the storage reported in more approximate than precise; so the numbers rarely match up exactly.

In Settings > General > About the difference between the iPad's size 16GB, and the Capacity is how much space iOS is taking up on your device. The difference between Capacity and Available is how much you are using, plus any caches or other iOS stuff may have filled for other reasons.

Digging around in the Manage Storage area of Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Storage will give you an idea of how much storage each app is taking up.

But like I said, don't expec an exact match up. There are other, system things going on too.

OP
R

robert5555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi router is at least 6 years old and now it's available as version 3,mine is version 1.It has a speed up to 300Mbs.

I've been looking at new routers for wifi in my home but I have no idea what to get and if my DSL speed would limit the wifi speed.

Is there any recommendations on what router to get and if upping my dsl service would help?

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"It has a speed up to 300Mbs."

Most Internet providers (TWC, AT&T etc) start with a base speed between 10 to 15 Mbps. Most also offer higher speeds but it gets pricey quick. Try Speedtest.net and see what results you get.

If the results are close to what your Internet provider claims then there is nothing your wireless router can do.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My wifi router is at least 6 years old and now it's available as version 3,mine is version 1.It has a speed up to 300Mbs.
I've been looking at new routers for wifi in my home but I have no idea what to get and if my DSL speed would limit the wifi speed.
Is there any recommendations on what router to get and if upping my dsl service would help?

Hello Robert.... - you've already received some excellent explanations concerning your ISP vs. router speeds - let me start w/ my situation - I have T-W cabled RoadRunner w/ a 20 Mbps plan - using Speedtest, I get about 25 Mbps download (DL) speeds, so happy, BUT my Apple AirPort Extreme router (using the 2.4 GHz band) is transmitting in my home @ 217 Mbps - SO, my BOTTLENECK is my ISP, as is yours.

SO, please tell us which ISP you are using - you state DSL which often is slower than cable, plus if your plan is at the lower DL speeds, you'll not be able to improve that w/ a new router, although as stated, there may be other advantages - provide us w/ some more information and other suggestions can be offered. Dave :)

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have T-W cabled RoadRunner w/ a 20 Mbps plan - using Speedtest, I get about 25 Mbps download (DL) speeds,

I recently dumped TWC since their 15Mbps normally came out around 12 to 13 Mbps with a 15 Mbps plan and the price kept climbing. With AT&T I'm averaging 17 to 18 Mbps on their 15 Mbps plan.

OP
R

robert5555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0.71 upload and 0.24 download Mbs on speed test.
I have 760K speed and up to 10M is available.
So mines about right since 0.71 M is about 760K?
A different router probably wouldn't help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
0.71 upload and 0.24 download Mbs on speed test.
I have 760K speed and up to 10M is available.
So mines about right since 0.71 M is about 760K?
A different router probably wouldn't help.

Hi Robert - I'm assuming that you have your upload & download speeds reversed (typically DL speeds are greater - for me, about a 10x difference). Your DL speed is really terrible, especially if you stream video - I'd be looking for a plan update (of course, will cost more) or a new ISP - good luck. Dave :)

P.S. as already stated, the 'bottleneck' is your ISP, so a new router (which you probably should obtain if you can markedly improve your internet speeds) will not do much.

OP
R

robert5555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can get up to 20Mbs I just found out.I like the way they say up to and not at least.
I think 20M should speed up my system.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can get up to 20Mbs I just found out.I like the way they say up to and not at least.
I think 20M should speed up my system.

Hi again Robert.... - please explain, i.e. do you mean w/ your current plan that 20 Mbps is available but you figured a way to obtain that speed or do you mean that you can get that speed by switching to a more expensive plan or another ISP? Dave :)

OP
R

robert5555

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 760K now but up to 20M is available but it's 40% more and 5 year contract,plus it has long distance so more taxes and fees.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have 760K now but up to 20M is available but it's 40% more and 5 year contract,plus it has long distance so more taxes and fees.

Just a few details which may help others provide some more specifics, where are you located and which ISP are you using? Do you have other ISP offerings in your area? Approximately how much are you spending now vs. the faster plan? Dave :)

Most reactions